Home Unreal Engine

Pixel painting vs Landscape material

Hey I have a fairly noob question so bare with me :poly122:
I've been doing a lot of research and am finding not a lot of information on the matter, from what I understand there are two ways to paint terrain. You can create a layered terrain material and paint within the landscape tab or there is the paint tab which you can paint with textures, is this correct? If so what are the pro's and con's of each.

Replies

• sprunghunt
    Offline / Send Message
    sprunghunt polycounter
    reeeen_4 wrote: »
    Hey I have a fairly noob question so bare with me :poly122:
    I've been doing a lot of research and am finding not a lot of information on the matter, from what I understand there are two ways to paint terrain. You can create a layered terrain material and paint within the landscape tab or there is the paint tab which you can paint with textures, is this correct? If so what are the pro's and con's of each.

Normally if you're using a landscape actor you would only use the terrain tab to paint the masks. There are a lot of features that make common things easier that you won't be able to access without using the landscape material.

You can also generate your masks outside of unreal using another program like world machine.