Home Technical Talk

Wall Worm now has complete Entity Tools for Source

polycounter lvl 13
Offline / Send Message
shawnolson polycounter lvl 13
I've added a complete toolset for making/editing entities for Source with Wall Worm in 3ds Max. This includes outputs/inputs.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0wfd-4Wo0XM"]Wall Worm Entities for Source Engine - YouTube[/ame]

48_pointentitiesui.png

49_entityoutputs.png

50_entitymanager.png

Replies

• cptSwing
    Offline / Send Message
    cptSwing polycounter lvl 11
    Why are you not working for Valve yet?
  • shawnolson
    Offline / Send Message
    cptSwing wrote: »
    Why are you not working for Valve yet?

Not sure... maybe I've gotten lost behind the big picture?!?! :)
  • Thurban
    I'm trying to figure out how to export animations from multiple files for a courier I'm working on but I'm pretty stuck. The tutorial on the WWMT site only covers animations from within the same max file. Is there another tutorial or any insight someone could point me towards? I'm coming up on a deadline for this project and I am in need of some help.
  • shawnolson
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm not exactly sure what you are asking whey you mean exporting from multiple files. Can you elaborate on the process you are attempting and exactly what you are trying to accomplish?
  • Thurban
    I animated a courier for DOTA2 and saved off each animation as a separate max file. So now I need to export the smds, generate the QC and compile it for each one; the Die, the Run, the Idle, the Spawn, etc. The problem I'm running into is that I can only figure out how to export the model and the textures and get that load in the HLMV, but I can't figure out how to export the next animation sequence from another max file.

I thought maybe I could export the MDL, the VTX, and the VVD with the main "Wall Worm Modeling Tool," export the SMDs for the Die, Run and all the others with the "Wall Worm Exporters> Export SMD/VTA File," then edit the QC by hand but that didn't seem to work. This is all new to me and it's a great tool, so I'm really looking forward to crossing over the learning curve. :)
  • Thurban
    I also get an error message after exporting that says:

-- Unknown property: "modifiers" in undefined

Is something that I'm doing in error or ok to ignore?
  • shawnolson
    Offline / Send Message
    A couple of things: 1: Sequences are accessible via the Wall Worm Model Tools floater UI under the Sequences, Activities and Weights Rollout. The lets you assign animation ranges to sequences and set various parameters for that sequence (like Activity, etc).

Regarding your error, that is something I'd like to research. Please post the complete MAXScript error (F11) into the Bug reports board of the WW forums and, if possible, a link to the sample scene. I'd prefer any bug reports on the WW forums instead of here as it helps consolidate any issues and resolutions with other users.
  • Thurban
    Ok sure! I'll set up a post over there later today.

I was first using the Sequences roll-out in the main WWMT Floater UI. I followed the video tutorial to export the mesh and Idle animation but that's when I discovered the next animation, in this case the Die, had to be later in the timeline within the same max file but mine are all broken up into separate max files.
  • shawnolson
    Offline / Send Message
    Thurban wrote: »
    I was first using the Sequences roll-out in the main WWMT Floater UI. I followed the video tutorial to export the mesh and Idle animation but that's when I discovered the next animation, in this case the Die, had to be later in the timeline within the same max file but mine are all broken up into separate max files.

OK, now I understand.

At this moment in time, that isn't really how the system can work. I do expect to add Animation Layers and possibly more robust animation workflows dealing with XRefs, but that is dependent on time and support from the users.

And to return to the topic of the thread above, I guess I should point out that there have been many enhancements to the Entity system since this thread started. The Entity manager now allows you to edit entity properties directly in the manager UI... as well as many other entity enhancements.

Here is latest Entity Manager UI:

105_entity_manager.png

Also, the Point/Brush Entity UIs have been updated to include robust property copy/paste functionality (that includes options for properties, flags and outputs).