Home Technical Talk

xNormal - MASTER THREAD

Replies

• jogshy
    Offline / Send Message
    jogshy polycounter lvl 17
    Has any one had any luck using hxgrid and xnormal? I have both installed and the agent and coordinator see each other, but I cannot figure out how to assign a "task" to the coordinator. Is there something I have to change in xnormal to get this to work?

I have xnormal v 3.18.8.36 and hxgrid v1. Thanks.

xN 3.18.X is 64-bits only and, therefore, it no longer supports hxGrid ( which is 32bits only ). I asked hxGrid's developer and he said he was not going to port it 64 bits ... so, if you want to use hxGrid, the only solution is to use xN 3.17.16 which supports 32 bits.
  • jmchristopher
    Offline / Send Message
    jmchristopher polycounter lvl 11
    Excellent, thanks for the response.
  • Beddall
    Offline / Send Message
    Beddall polycounter lvl 6
    hey,

I've noticed that 3dsMax has an option when baking maps to only bake matching material ID's. Does Xnormal have anything like this? or any solution to baking multiple matching mesh parts in one go?... or is it a case of having to explode the model still?

cheers
  • IntelligentDesign
    Offline / Send Message
    IntelligentDesign polycounter lvl 5
    So I'm new to normal mapping, and while I haven't had problems in the past with organic models (I've mostly done human character modeling) I've been having some trouble creating a normal map for a futuristic shotgun I'm working on. I started out trying to generate my normals in ZBrush, couldn't get that to work and downloaded XNormal as a result.

My thread here: http://www.polycount.com/forum/showthread.php?p=2084712

If anyone has a chance to take a look I'd really appreciate it! I'm new to normal mapping (so far I've only taken 2 courses on 3D modeling, and I wasn't required to create normal maps, or even UV maps, for them) and I know a lot of people on polycount have years of experience, so any feedback would be much appreciated!
  • Mostwanted
    Offline / Send Message
    Mostwanted polycounter lvl 7
    how can i bake normal map of an object which has multiple uv tiles
  • Beddall
    Offline / Send Message
    Beddall polycounter lvl 6
    mahi6038 wrote: »
    how can i bake normal map of an object which has multiple uv tiles

as far as I'm aware, Xnormal only supports one UV set. I guess the workaround would be to clone multiple dummy meshes from the 'master' mesh then copy the correct UV channel into the 1st channel for each one. then use these dummy meshes for the baking. Then apply the maps to the 'master' mesh when complete.

cheers
  • dannyboy91
    Hi There! For some reason that i am not aware of my xNormal is getting errors when i attempt to bake something. I have tried reinstalling, restoring the default setting and used different objects for baking.

VBt29X4.jpg

This happens when i try to bake a height map

1b95ZYh.jpg

and this happens when i try to bake a normal map

Any Ideas?

EDIT: Nevermind i changed the renderer and its fixed it? Will this make a difference to actual how the actual bake comes out?
  • JustMeSR
    Offline / Send Message
    JustMeSR polycounter lvl 4
    dannyboy91 wrote: »
    VBt29X4.jpg

This happens when i try to bake a height map

Change the renderer. Height maps don't take too much time (like AO or cavity) anyway.

bMT5z0U.png
    dannyboy91 wrote: »
    Will this make a difference to actual how the actual bake comes out?

If you set it to default it should be slower (way slower), but more accurate with less artifacts (none...ideally). Also you will be able to render height maps (and maybe some other I don't know of too).
  • ][-][4Z4R][))
    Beddall wrote: »
    hey,

I've noticed that 3dsMax has an option when baking maps to only bake matching material ID's. Does Xnormal have anything like this? or any solution to baking multiple matching mesh parts in one go?... or is it a case of having to explode the model still?

cheers

I use the Offset values you can find at the end of the columns in the low and high poly object lists. But would be gorgeous to use that MatID :)
  • andrewterry
    hello everybody.
    I've got some problem, baking normals in Xnormal many many times.

Look at the screenshot...
    There are some waves on the normal map that couses that strange wave errors on the model, especially when u loock closer to a surface + put any glossy material. I've already tried bake in maya too, the result the same.
    Preferences are in default.
    Xnormal save normal map as 4096x4096 .tiff (16bits)
    o0cs42.jpg

Did anybody encounter that difficulties? How u fixed it?

thank u in advance!
  • Mr Significant
    Offline / Send Message
    Mr Significant polycounter lvl 11
    same here, but dunno how to fix it.
  • JustMeSR
    Offline / Send Message
    16 bits not enough? :poly124:

Have you tried if it happens in different engines too?

Also: It's look, not loock.
  • andrewterry
    16 bits by default and .tiff

u can see the waves in maya, marmoset toolbag2 and so on.
    The matter is in the normal map. But what's wrong? even when all options by default.
  • Fingus
    Offline / Send Message
    Fingus polycounter lvl 11
    I've been having the same problem and it puzzles me as I though 16 bits should eliminate waviness.
  • billymcguffin
    Offline / Send Message
    billymcguffin polycounter lvl 11
    Switching to 16 bit will double the number of bands, but decrease the contrast between bands. If the gradient takes place over a larger number of pixels than bands, there will still be visible banding, even in 16 bit. Have you tried converting the normal maps to 8 bit after exporting the 16 bit image? This will introduce dithering which should reduce the appearance of banding further.
  • thomasp
    Offline / Send Message
    thomasp hero character
    hi, is it possible to install/manage different versions of xNormal on the same machine? i have a case here where a custom tangent space plugin only wants to cooperate with a rather old version but also needto use a different one for work on another project.

it seems the different xNormal installations fight over the same settings files/registry entries causing them to make a right mess of things on my setup.
  • Jackson31
    Offline / Send Message
    Jackson31 polygon
    Why does this happen? How can I stop it?
    JKm8lXDScMaKlIFI
  • metalliandy
    Offline / Send Message
    metalliandy interpolator
    Jackson31 wrote: »
    Why does this happen? How can I stop it?
    JKm8lXDScMaKlIFI

You don't stop it :)
    Normal maps will automatically be baked with the correct directional information along the UV borders no matter how the UV islands are oriented and you will always get that seam if you view the normal map as a diffuse.
    It will display correctly once it is applied to your mesh as a normal map.
  • EarthQuake
    hello guys how are you i`m does any one know how can the uv showing up in my x normal i have a problem on this , evry time i export my 3ds to obj or the x normal format , to the x normal i do see random uv not the one that i created and my backing just messed up with very nasty uv ... i have to mention that i use 3dmax 2009

Make sure you delete any extra/garbage uvs sets. OBJ only supports 1 uv channel so if you have more than one you don't know which is getting exported.
  • reedweinstock
    Offline / Send Message
    reedweinstock polycounter lvl 8
    Is there any possible way of setting up a bake to only matching material id's (like in 3ds max's render to texture)?

Is it possible to bake an AO to your HP vertex color so you can transfer it to your LP? If so do you have to UV your HP?

Reed
  • Synaesthesia
    Offline / Send Message
    Synaesthesia polycounter
    The workflow I use has a lot of overlapping UVs. In Max, I can adjust the W coordinate of my model's texture coordinates to force Mental Ray to render overlapped UVs in front of the UVs they're sitting on. I'm trying to get xNormal to recognize W coordinates, but it doesn't seem to work with them. Is there a method to get xNormal to recognize overlapped UVs and render accordingly?
  • cptSwing
    Offline / Send Message
    cptSwing polycounter lvl 11
    Why don't you just move the overlaps one square off to the side (outside of 0,1 range)?
  • Synaesthesia
    Offline / Send Message
    Synaesthesia polycounter
    That's such a great idea, it's no wonder I always forget about doing that. I'll give that a shot. Thanks for reminding me. :)
  • cptSwing
    Offline / Send Message
    cptSwing polycounter lvl 11
  • Kroma!
    Offline / Send Message
    Kroma! polycounter lvl 9
    Hey people, I've got some questions about xNormal normal bakes vs. Max (3.18.9 vs. 2013 PU6).

This may be an extreme example and some of these problems are likely to be invisible in game but I'd like to hear your thoughts regardless.

Comparison.png

Note:
    • All maps were baked uncompressed with no supersampling or antialiasing at 2048x2048 and downsized to 1024x1024 in Photoshop with Bicubic resampling, and normalised with xNormal's filter.
    • All bakes used the same high and low poly mesh and the cage was exported from Max to be used in xNormal too (xNormal's own cage wasn't looking so good).
    • xNormal bakes used the default bucket renderer as the CUDA ones looked bad.
    • Viewing the TIFF as a PSD in TB2 looked great, no real banding.

1. High poly (ignore the front face weirdness)
    2. TGA baked in Max (default scanline)
    3. TGA baked in xNormal
    4. 16 bit TIFF in xNormal - converted to 8 bit, downsized, normalised, saved as TGA
    5. 16 bit TIFF in xNormal - downsized, converted to 8 bit, normalised, saved as TGA
    6. 16 bit TIFF in xNormal - downsized, normalised, converted to 8 bit, saved as TGA

My thoughts:

1. High poly looks smooth, apart from the front face but this does not show in Max and appears to have no effect on the bakes.
    2. I hear Max bakes have a bit of noise in them to reduce banding and this is clear here. The bake has uniform noise on the curved faces and no banding. To me, the best looking 8 bits/channel bake of the bunch.
    3. Has clear banding on the cylindrical parts, would like to avoid this result. Baking 16 bit TIFF improves this.
    4 & 5. Look very similar. Converting to 8 bit introduces noise on curved areas but in the same bands that appear in 3. Second best results after Max.
    6. More uniform noise but stronger than Max. Also considerable noise on flat faces, although banding has been reduced. Third best result, due to to the strong noise.

Admittedly I have just started using xNormal but I feel like my best bake came out of Max anyway, and without having to bake and convert different formats.

So I guess my questions are:
    • What do you make of all this? Do you have any fixes?
    • When do you convert your 16 bit maps to 8 bit, before or after any editing?
    • xNormal vs. Max for normal map bakes? How do game engines handle them?
    • Anything else I probably should know about?

If you want to have a closer look you can get the scene and files here: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/45171669/Polycount/XLR/XLR.zip

• nwopolygonshapeshifter
    Hello all. I was wondering if anyone had any experience in dealing with this problem with Xnormal. The issue arises when I try to bake my ambient occlusion map of this simple wall with a bent pipe emitting from it. The shading information on the wall appears correct except for a white patch behind the underside of the pipe. Is there some setting I'm missing, or am I doing something wrong? I've included pics to alleviate any confusion. If I render the AO in something like blender it bakes out just fine, but I like the quality and speed of of xnormal, ergo the reason why I'm asking.

u3NbKET.png
    7WTxtKl.png
    V9VWJ6t.jpg

Thanks ahead of time.

On a side note I've tried searching google and these forums for things like "xnormal ambient occlusion glitches, xnormal ambient occlusion shadow error" and variations in there of. Is there some kind of specific term to describe what is happening here? I've also tried fiddling with the settings.
  • JustMeSR
    Offline / Send Message
    V9VWJ6t.jpg

Too large cage/ray distance. Captures light from the tube/cylinder instead of itself.
  • nwopolygonshapeshifter
    JustMeSR wrote: »
    Too large cage/ray distance. Captures light from the tube/cylinder instead of itself.

Ahh thank you so much! I cranked down the "maximum frontal ray distance" and "maximum rear ray distance" and got better results. Just a note I wasnt using a bake cage for this model as it was relatively simple, but should I use bake cages even for simple models in the future?
  • RexM
    Well, Xnormal decided to randomly stop working. Messages about failing to launch the HMT Tonemapper continuously pop up.

Anyone experience this before?
  • TheAxiom
    Offline / Send Message
    TheAxiom polycounter lvl 3
    Hello everyone I'm looking for a tutorial or something on how to bake my asset with xNormal with one smoothing group to go in to UE4.
    It's completely new to me at the moment so I need to know what options to choose, buttons to press, etc.

Please respond urgently! Thank you!!
  • Mr Significant
    Offline / Send Message
    Mr Significant polycounter lvl 11
    why with one smoothing group ?
  • TheAxiom
    Offline / Send Message
    why with one smoothing group ?

That's the way my friend and tutor suggests. I used to faff around with the smoothing groups so much, optimising them for the unwrap and then never getting a perfect result. So then I'm told, "The way most people do it now for UE4 is use one smoothing group, xNormal and mikk tangent space."

So, even if it isn't the only or best way to do it for everyone, I've seen it working perfectly so I'd like to give it a go myself. But I'm afraid I can't find much information on the workflow online.
  • RexM
    One smoothing group for an entire model doesn't make sense for everything, it needs to be treated as a case-by-case basis.

There's no way you'll get a decent looking hardsurface piece with one smoothing group, for example. UE4 isn't vastly different from any other deferred PBR engine, it still is going to follow many common workflow techniques that we have learned as artists.
  • Quack!
    Offline / Send Message
    Quack! polycounter lvl 17
    TheAxiom wrote: »
    That's the way my friend and tutor suggests. I used to faff around with the smoothing groups so much, optimising them for the unwrap and then never getting a perfect result. So then I'm told, "The way most people do it now for UE4 is use one smoothing group, xNormal and mikk tangent space."

So, even if it isn't the only or best way to do it for everyone, I've seen it working perfectly so I'd like to give it a go myself. But I'm afraid I can't find much information on the workflow online.

No this is not how game artists do it.

Set your smoothing groups by your uv islands to start. There are scripts that do this.

In general at very hard edges with angles >75° you want to set a hard edge/smoothing group. Where ever you have a hardedge/smoothing group you need to detach that as a uv island.

Force triangulate before you bake.

These few steps will get you close to what you need, with some caveats that you will learn as you go.

Using 1 smoothing group is very situational and far from the standard.
  • TheAxiom
    Offline / Send Message
    Hmm it's very confusing. There is a lot of mixed opinions around the internet about it.
    I've done a test with boxes and it didn't seem to matter the angle the edges were as long as I broke the UV accordingly.

And I've seen so many people get perfect results from using one smoothing group with xNormal.
  • Dave3d
    Offline / Send Message
    Dave3d polycounter lvl 8
    I have also been confused by the whole smoothing group thing and have been told by several people 1 smoothing group would work,

all the assets I have baked so far using 1 group using the correct tangent space in marmoset, most worked but im not sure if this is the correct way from what you guys are saying :D

here is an older asset i baked using 1 group dDxaDfI.jpg

is there anything wrong with the way I did that asset?
  • TheAxiom
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah I'm on the same boat Dave.

I also came across some stuff on the UE4 tutorials that mention using one smoothing group.
    https://docs.unrealengine.com/latest/INT/Engine/Content/Types/Textures/NormalMaps/Creation/index.html
  • Quack!
    Offline / Send Message
    Using 1 smoothing can work yes when using a synched workflow.

However, using this method will generate a normal map that has a metric ton of gradients in it. Which in and of itself is fine as long as it looks good in the viewport.

In a game engine though, these gradients will now be compressed for realtime rendering, usually dxt5(old,bad) or bc5 (new,better). This compression can wreck havoc on heavily gradated normal maps. So if your end goal is to put the object uncompressed into a viewport, then go crazy with 1 smoothing group. But if you want to create the smoothest normal map WHILE being compressed, you have to give the normal map a break and using smoothing groups/hard edges.

At the end of the day, do what looks good to you. But do it because you understand, rather than because it's confusing.

At the very least, outside of very specific reasons not to, set your smoothing groups by UV islands via a script, as it is 'free' in engine resource cost, and can help reduce unnecessary gradation.
  • Dave3d
    Offline / Send Message
    Dave3d polycounter lvl 8
    Thanks for the help Quack :D it just gets a little confusing with many places suggesting different things, I just assumed the 1 smoothing group way was correct as it looked fine in view ports.
    but I didn't take compression into account.

thanks for clearing that up for us :D
  • Froyok
    Offline / Send Message
    Froyok greentooth
    Is there a good summary about that on the polycount wiki ? I know there is a normal map page that already talk about a lot of things...
  • Quack!
    Offline / Send Message
    Froyok wrote: »
    Is there a good summary about that on the polycount wiki ? I know there is a normal map page that already talk about a lot of things...

I don't think there is 1 resource that has all of this info concisely put together. It is spread out here, on the wiki, in EQ's thread, and random threads like this.
  • TheAxiom
    Offline / Send Message
    Okay that's very helpful, thank you Mr. Duck.
    Can you recommend any scripts or tutorials on this? For now, I will be learning it without scripts though as I don't like not knowing first how to do it myself.

Epic does recommend using the 1 turbo smooth method so I will use that too as it's so easy and comes out fine in UE4.
  • Afon
    Offline / Send Message
    Afon polycounter lvl 7
    I am quite new and have a question with xnormal and cryteks top tips for baking textures in it.
    They say that you should put the scale to 16, and both the ray distances to 50 and go from there.
    http://docs.cryengine.com/display/SDKDOC3/Ambient+Occlusion+and+Normal+map+bake+using+Xnormal

Problem is if i do this and try to render an AO map using these options i get pure white AO, unless i use the CUDA renderer, now if i put the mesh settings to default (scale at 1.0 and ray distances at 0.5) it renders fine.

No other tutorial that i can find ever mentions adjusting these settings, so my question is, am i doing something wrong or is crytek's tutorial wrong.

It seems as if the cage isnt getting scaled along with the object, but it works fine when baking normals and it scaled up in the 3d viewer
  • m4dcow
    Offline / Send Message
    m4dcow interpolator
    Afon wrote: »
    I am quite new and have a question with xnormal and cryteks top tips for baking textures in it.
    They say that you should put the scale to 16, and both the ray distances to 50 and go from there.
    http://docs.cryengine.com/display/SDKDOC3/Ambient+Occlusion+and+Normal+map+bake+using+Xnormal

Problem is if i do this and try to render an AO map using these options i get pure white AO, unless i use the CUDA renderer, now if i put the mesh settings to default (scale at 1.0 and ray distances at 0.5) it renders fine.

No other tutorial that i can find ever mentions adjusting these settings, so my question is, am i doing something wrong or is crytek's tutorial wrong.

It seems as if the cage isnt getting scaled along with the object, but it works fine when baking normals and it scaled up in the 3d viewer

Make sure you scale the lowpoly and highpoly, but if the defaults work for you, might as well use them.

Sometimes scaling up is recommended if you have really small meshes which can result in precision errors and xNormal will warn you if that is the case, but even in those situations I have rarely had any issues.
  • sushi
    TheAxiom wrote: »
    Okay that's very helpful, thank you Mr. Duck.
    Can you recommend any scripts or tutorials on this? For now, I will be learning it without scripts though as I don't like not knowing first how to do it myself.

Epic does recommend using the 1 turbo smooth method so I will use that too as it's so easy and comes out fine in UE4.

Can you post a link to Epic's recommendation of using 1 smoothing group method? Also remember, TurboSmooth is a 3ds Max mesh modifier, not smoothing groups.

I can recall when I began baking for the first while I made the same mistake of using 1 smoothing group and the results were very bad.

Using 1 smoothing group can work in some cases, for example if you have a bunched up cloth or wavy curtains. But in my experience - for most meshes it won't make sense, should be avoided, and is a a shortcut that will eventually come back to bite you when you discover for whatever reason, on whatever rendering platform, your mesh looks like garbage.

Also I'd be interested to see the in-engine results you got from using one smoothing group on your mesh.

There is a plethora of support/tutorials here and elsewhere. One of the most important points is to make sure to have a UV split at every hard edge on your mesh.
  • trugb31
    Offline / Send Message
    trugb31 polycounter lvl 9
    i am having an issue where trying to use the ray trace calculator, it get stuck on analyzing. Also when trying to bake, same problem. i read posting here and on eat3d neither have I found a fix. My job doesn't provide zbrush for me to clean the mesh. I have triangulated and cleaned up the mesh via Maya. Nothing work:poly118:s!
  • JedTheKrampus
    Offline / Send Message
    JedTheKrampus polycounter lvl 8
    You really shouldn't use the ray distance calculator unless your lowpoly mesh has no hard edges; otherwise, you'll get discontinuities in your normal map where those hard edges are since ray distance doesn't create a proper averaged projection mesh. Also if I were you I would export .fbx for your lowpoly mesh if your pipeline supports it, since that format has much better support for per-vertex normals and synced workflows (again, whether you should export bitangents and binormals depends on your pipeline.) Instead of using ray distance, I would go into the 3D viewer and slide out the global cage extrusion slider until your highpoly mesh is entirely enclosed by the cage. If your meshes are too dense to load in the 3D viewer, I would grab Meshlab (free program) and decimate the high-poly just for cage editing, and use the ordinary high-poly for your bake.

The 3D viewer can also be helpful with diagnosing problems with Xnormal, as you'll be able to see exactly where Xnormal thinks your meshes are, or if it can load your meshes at all.
  • AtticusMars
    Offline / Send Message
    AtticusMars greentooth
    I'm getting seams along my UV shells, it looks to me like a problem with the smoothing groups during baking.

xnormal_uvshells_seams.jpg

My workflow is basically this:

- Unwrap the lowpoly
    - Use TexTools UVs->SmoothingGroups tool to break my smoothing groups along the UV shells
    - Duplicate the mesh, add a push modifier and collapse it to get the cage
    - Send both off to XNormal for baking

I've done this tons of times, I'm not sure what's gone wrong here. Anyone have any advice?

Edit: Solved this by unchecking smoothing groups in my FBX cage export

Apparently unifying the cage normals or setting them all to a single smoothing group was not enough for this model, the cage had to be exported without SG. Leaving the post up incase anyone else has similar problems
  • az_
    Offline / Send Message
    az_ polycounter lvl 5
    Hi, I've been having trouble with normal map baking lately so I decided to go back to the basics, and i'm still habving problems:

bakes-05172b.png
    I am exporting everything from Maya using the .SBM format, my UVs are split, and the edges are hard.
    It looks like the rays aren't being shot backward, only forward (I've noticed this problem on other meshes as well). Any idea what's causing that and how I could fix it?
  • Farfarer
    I'm not sure what the problem is... the indents/raised areas looking thinner/thicker?

If so, that's down to how the cage works. With this particular low poly mesh, there's no real easy around it.

You could bevel the edges and then in the cage only push the main faces straight outwards.