Home Dota 2

Dota 2 - Workshop Thread

Replies

• Konras
    Offline / Send Message
    Konras polycounter lvl 12
    @ReMixx Stuff don't work like this. You will protest, others will not. You loose. Also why protest? Event aimed directly at workshop artists. Time to celebrate! If only deadline would not be so short and cut in half by Christmas ^^'
  • ReMixx
    Konras wrote: »
    @ReMixx Stuff don't work like this. You will protest, others will not. You loose. Also why protest? Event aimed directly at workshop artists. Time to celebrate! If only deadline would not be so short and cut in half by Christmas ^^'

I'm just trolling. :poly121:
  • teabiscuit
    Offline / Send Message
    teabiscuit polycounter lvl 3
    I like that valve is making a yearly event for hatters. :D

The rules are incredibly strict though, can't even mix elements of the same culture together if it isn't accurate. mm. Disney didn't follow these rules in Mulan ("you have the original legend taking place in the Wei Dynasty, the Huns as an actual threat during the Western Han Dynasty, the Forbidden City of the Ming Dynasty, the hanfu fashion setting it earlier"), and it still comes out looking cohesive and distinctly Chinese. Googling "Chinese headdress" gave me images that I recognize are Japanese too. It doesn't help that asian cultures share a lot of overlap, and borrow elements from each other all the time.

Anyway, I might focus more on the "spring" category for this event. Like the Aria of the Wind set from last year, it doesn't have to look chinese to get in... and it's probably safer too.

crossposting research from ike_ike's thread:
    teabiscuit wrote: »
    Agreed with agito. Here's a link to an image gallery of different buddhist outfits. (and ignore the korean/japanese monk outfits)

From part four:
    When Buddhism got to China, the bare-shoulder style of the original monks' robes became a problem. In Chinese culture it was improper not to keep the arms and shoulders covered in public. So, Chinese Buddhist monks began to wear sleeved robes similar to a Taoist scholar's robe of the early 1st millennium CE.

Anecdotally, I saw predominantly this outfit in Taiwan.
  • Vayne4800
    Offline / Send Message
    Vayne4800 polycounter lvl 3
    Konras wrote: »

Celebrate? Why? What makes it different from another month release? It is the same shit we are getting every month. Hell, Spring 2014 was bad but bearable coz like if you made a single and it didn't get in, no big deal. Now we got over 40 or so groups or single artists making sets. Only for 8-12 to be accepted. The rest can rot, Valve doesn't care. This is abuse in my opinion. The bar has been set high but a lot of us have improved. We aren't the next Anuxi or Danidem, but we do make stuff that can be considered good and definitely miles better than what was released in the first year of Dota 2 cosmetics. The way I see it, many of us will work hard to make great stuff and spend titanic effort in that, for only Valve to pick a handful or two. Obviously, second rate artist is second rate artist. I have yet to see good examples of "if it is good, it gets in no matter who you are" as a proper weighted statistic. It is just so rare.

I know some of you will think I am attacking the top artists but I am not. I am saying, Valve is asking for too much lately and their communication is shittier than ever. Ask for more give less. Way to go!

People keep telling me it will get better, that this is a phase. Well, convince me that this stupid announcement is better, for me to turn around.

I honestly want to make stuff, I wasted so much time and effort this year for a person with a day job. I got good feedback from you guys! Unless I am being lied to about the quality of my work, I don't know what else is missing. Also, don't give me that "make more stuff, eventually you will get something in and you are learning", well, seeing people almost more artists who join later and get stuff in before you isn't helping much is it and I saw a TON of new artists hopping in and getting stuff in. No need for me to make a count.

Anyway, who cares, I am sure someone will come and say: tough luck, go somewhere else. Maybe I will do just that.

Maybe I am the only one frustrated here. Maybe I am writing to get some sympathy. Maybe this or maybe that. I don't care, I am venting it here. Nothing will change but I might feel better in the end that I let it out.

Oh, and the amount of people wearing masks here is mind blowing. No wonder a lot of cool artists aren't posting as often. Some of you know exactly what I mean. Don't bait me to give more.

P.S. AND FFS VALVE! The stars on the items had me pushing atleast and kinda rewarding. This new crappy system inplace makes my workshop page look like binary: Failed item or accepted item. Boohoo! Thanks for making me feel even worse about it!
  • kite212
    Offline / Send Message
    kite212 polycounter lvl 15
    agito666 wrote: »

this time everyone will be design Ram head all over on Doom, leshrac, and maybe Chaos knight, chen, mirana, maybe luna... also enchantress

:P

I'm going for a Drow with a ram head :poly136:
  • Vovosunt
    Offline / Send Message
    Vovosunt polycounter lvl 4
    Ok, my honest opinion on this is that Valve just wants to milk the workshop to the max.
    The requirements for the New Bloom event are ridiculous and disappointing, barely leaving any room for creativity
    (how the fuck do you even differentiate and not mix the different clothing styles?)
    I had some respect for the Valve Dota Team but I don't know if I have any left.
    I am really infuriated.

Thanks Valve! Congratulations on managing to ruin the workshop completely!
  • Sharc
    Offline / Send Message
    Sharc polycounter lvl 7
    Gonna get an early start on the new bloom stuff this year, starting with a concept sketch for a Twin Ram Scepter for Ogre Magi. I'll have a colored version up soon enough, up for grabs if anyone finds it interesting enough.

20141206_142340_by_terrormokes-d88w9yr.jpg
  • belkun
    Offline / Send Message
    belkun polycounter lvl 7
    I don't get where all of that drama is coming from. Having strict guidelines is suddenly 'ruining the workshop completely'? I remember last time people complaining about how no actual spring themed items and other Chinese inspired cosmetics that were really good, weren't added, instead we got loads of stuff with horse heads tacked on. This time they're actually saying EXACTLY what to do and what not to, and it's a bad thing? Alrighty then.
  • Sylei
    Offline / Send Message
    Sylei polycounter lvl 5
    The only thing that bothers me is that is it pretty much the same thing as last year, what about other events ? Why is it only for New Bloom that Valve is openly asking artists to make stuff for ?
  • kite212
    Offline / Send Message
    belkun wrote: »
    I don't get where all of that drama is coming from. Having strict guidelines is suddenly 'ruining the workshop completely'? I remember last time people complaining about how no actual spring themed items and other Chinese inspired cosmetics that were really good, weren't added, instead we got loads of stuff with horse heads tacked on. This time they're actually saying EXACTLY what to do and what not to, and it's a bad thing? Alrighty then.

I was happy to see these guidelines this time around, it helps address some issues I ran into last year
  • AndrewHelenek
  • mihalceanu
    Offline / Send Message
    mihalceanu polycounter lvl 6
    I think its preety clear and simple .

From what I understand we can use

-goat/ram horns
    -chinese new year stufs like : chiense lamps , gold coiins , etc
    -chinese arhitecture /shapes
    - collors like deep red and gold
    -goat/ furry armors (winter theme )

we cant use goat skulls tho , or any kind of bones .

I'm gonna do a goat courier , hopfully they dont go with the same thing like last year ( they made the horse couriers.)
    OS3NvKW.jpg
  • teabiscuit
    Offline / Send Message
    Vayne4800: You are not the only one frustrated here. I just feel like it's not my place to complain since I've only just submitted my first set in october 2014. I have been following the workshop for much longer than that though, and there are definitely things I'm unsafistied about... but the problem is, if the artists who are being affected aren't complaining, what credibility or strength would my opinion/position hold?

I know that I'm going to continue collecting submission data to see if things change with a big event. This event represents a new year - and maybe that means valve will respond to some of the complaints that have surfaced in the "workshop state" thread. Events tend to include more single items than are released in a typical month, and given the atmosphere of the workshop, it might be a good opportunity for valve to set the tone for the coming year.

My partner has expressed concern over participating in this event, but I remain optimistic. I just have a feeling I can name 4 artists who are going to get items in game already, regardless of how many people enter and how good the competition is. But last year, new bloom had a large variety of artists included. Just hope my work will be included. :D

More research:
    During the Ming and Qing Dynasties, Beijing became the capital city, and the color yellow became the exclusive color for the imperial family. Ordinary people were not allowed to wear yellow.

With an exception for monks!
    [T]he monks' robes were made of a yellow material, and the Buddha figures were plated with gold to show their nobility and preciousness, because since ancient times, the Chinese people believed that the color yellow came from Heaven.

Source: http://en.minghui.org/html/articles/2008/2/11/94247.html

Better not mix up those upper and lower classes! Yellows are only allowed for imperial designs!
  • heboltz3
    Offline / Send Message
    heboltz3 polycounter lvl 9
    a26rdkc.jpg
    GIF.gif

Oh my goodness.
  • Hawt Koffee
    Offline / Send Message
    Hawt Koffee polycounter lvl 13
    I think you guys are taking these guideline suggestions a little too seriously
  • MugenMcFugen
    I think you guys are taking these guideline suggestions a little too seriously

+

I believe it's like michaelceanu stated in post before, and what teabiscuit found out. It doesn't mean you're suddenly restricted of everything. I believe Valve just wants to avoid ''EVERYTHING IS DRAGON''. Save your dragons for... 2023 apparently. :D
  • Chemical Alia
    Offline / Send Message
    Chemical Alia polycounter lvl 7
    I'm just a tad disappointed to see another contest with the Chinese New Year theme. The guidelines look fine to me, but competing over a holiday theme for a seasonal event is something I have trouble getting excited about. If I'm gonna spend a ton of time on a set, I want to minimize the chances of accidentally stepping on other peoples' toes (and possibly wasting that time) as much as I can. Which usually means staying away from stuff like this, as much as I love contests in general. No big deal, though.

Anyway, MORE BEARZKY CRAP!

loadingscreen_by_chemicalalia-d88y4fe.jpg

turntable000_by_chemicalalia-d88y4ia.gif
  • OrganizedChaos
    Offline / Send Message
    OrganizedChaos polycounter lvl 17
    Chemical Alia - I'm a little confused. That already got in game, right? Did Valve ask for a resubmission or something?
    http://www.dota2.com/store/itemdetails/20598
  • motenai
    Offline / Send Message
    motenai polycounter lvl 18
    Apparently in this version they reworked the hockey stick that before Valve asked to ditch because it was "against dota lore".
    Just my supposition, correct me if i'm wrong...
  • agito666
    motenai wrote: »
    Apparently in this version they reworked the hockey stick that before Valve asked to ditch because it was "against dota lore".
    Just my supposition, correct me if i'm wrong...

yes, they rework after the MVP phoenix skateboard courier was approved...XD
    that is why skateboard can be approve but not a hockey stick
  • motenai
    Offline / Send Message
    Skateboards are absolutely in Dota 2 Lore.....it's the first thing Abzidian forged years before the Demon Edge....then he broke an ankle trying to kickflip it.
  • Chemical Alia
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah, what those guys said! The animations of the original version have been reworked, and we've submitted this for consideration as a style of the one currently in-game.
  • Snowstorm
    Offline / Send Message
    Snowstorm polycounter lvl 5
    I think excluding chinese characters (which is probably so items are more lore friendly) and dragons makes the theme feel a lot more restrictive this year. Wonder what people would come up with.

Having the New Bloom event is also making me consider delaying the release of my AM set till after New Bloom. Either that or I'd want to release it before the whole New Bloom craze gets underway on the workshop.

Speaking of which, I went back and redid the colours.

xY3r9K6.jpg
    zDCqCBS.jpg

Also, here's a look at the full set together for the first time with final masks and everything. I'm very happy with the new colour scheme and new items. But the old visor is in dire need of at least a retexture and the belt's rune details don't fit with the other items. No rest for the weary huh.

3UqwZw5.jpg
  • OrganizedChaos
    Offline / Send Message
    OrganizedChaos polycounter lvl 17
    Thanks for the answer guys! :P Heh, Valve and their double standards.
  • Mathew O
    Offline / Send Message
    Mathew O polycounter

Anyway, MORE BEARZKY CRAP!

turntable000_by_chemicalalia-d88y4ia.gif

This is seriously awesome :D I even made the Presentation image by background :P
  • Toasty
    Luna Light Song Set is now up on Workshop. Up tote if your like it :D

MZaYQt.png

^^Clickable^^

-Toasty
  • motenai
    Offline / Send Message
    I quickly concepted this for New Bloom this afternoon....not sure if i'll go for this idea, but i don't mind it for now...

heKGwBK.jpg
  • quockhanhlk
    Offline / Send Message
    quockhanhlk polycounter lvl 11
    awesome idea for lina there, but, maybe only me, the dress/clothes looks more japanese than chinese to me
  • Thnk
    Offline / Send Message
    Thnk polycounter lvl 5
    @Motenai - Looks like a good start. But I would also agree that it looks a bit more on the Japanese side. The looseness is what's making it read like a kimono inspired outfit. From what I've seen Chinese dresses tend to be a bit more fitted.
  • Insaneophobia
    Offline / Send Message
    Insaneophobia polycounter lvl 5
    The neck and sleeves does look somewhat like a traditional kung-fu outfit though, just with a bit more looseness on the sleeves
  • motenai
    Offline / Send Message
    i probably agree with you guys, but i also decided that i'm not gonna take Valve rules so strictly, i kinda wanna add some of my vision and taste to it....i might fix some things here and there, and maybe bring back chinese themes when i decorate the skirt.
    Thanks for your opinions though, always appreciated :)
  • Chemical Alia
    Offline / Send Message
    Thnk wrote: »
    @Motenai - Looks like a good start. But I would also agree that it looks a bit more on the Japanese side. The looseness is what's making it read like a kimono inspired outfit. From what I've seen Chinese dresses tend to be a bit more fitted.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hanfu
    https://www.google.com/search?q=hanfu&biw=1396&bih=1261&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=qYWHVIaSBYr1oASHtoCADg&ved=0CAYQ_AUoAQ

Japanese kimono and Korean hanbok evolved from traditional Chinese hanfu, which is a separate clothing style from the relatively "modern" Manchu Qing dynasty clothing that most people automatically associate with traditional Chinese attire (e.g. qipao/cheongsam), yet only arose about 350 years ago.
  • teabiscuit
    Offline / Send Message
    Going to agree with everyone else that it looks more japanese (mane/horns remind me of oni, and the detached sleeves). But also wanted to chime in that there are dynasties where chinese dresses are flowing. While the skirt can't quite be pinned down to a time period, it looks like it could influenced by some.
  • Sumers
    Offline / Send Message
    Sumers polycounter lvl 10
    well Valve didn't asked to copy chinese clothes they asked to not mix different cultural elements.
    also since New Bloom isn't one-time event i'd like to hear from Valve lore-wise explanation how China is related to dota. is it magically exist in both our and dota-world?
  • kite212
    Offline / Send Message
    Motenai- Its looking great, and I think once you get to the details you can really sell it as Chinese.

RAMMING SPEED! Just started working on my Drow, was thinking a conch braid with a ram horn head piece may be cool, and the rest will be more inspired by Chinese armor, and I think the details are what will help it read more Chinese

NewBloomWip.png
  • Snowstorm
    Offline / Send Message
    Snowstorm polycounter lvl 5
    Sumers wrote: »
    well Valve didn't asked to copy chinese clothes they asked to not mix different cultural elements.
    also since New Bloom isn't one-time event i'd like to hear from Valve lore-wise explanation how China is related to dota. is it magically exist in both our and dota-world?

I dont think it exists in dota, hence why they asked to avoid Chinese characters. My take on it is that they just want art that is Chinese or spring themed to appeal to Chinese players without implying that such culture exists in dota.
  • agito666
    motenai wrote: »
    I quickly concepted this for New Bloom this afternoon....not sure if i'll go for this idea, but i don't mind it for now...

heKGwBK.jpg

you can maintain that cloth, just need add more some chinese style jewelry will do. like jade, chinese loves jade. :v

style wise i think you already know oriental styling.

TRUST ME, i'm 100% pure e̶n̶g̶i̶n̶e̶e̶r̶ chinese (but not mainland chinese)
    i can speak mandarin too : 橘子 :3

extra tips: seems like no one making batrider. because Bat is a good sign for chinese too. because bat pronounce as "蝙蝠" , the "蝠" actually is same pronunciation with "福", happiness.

here is the jade bat.
    15661_original.jpg
    One of the most common greetings is happiness, good fortune and blessing. "福" (fú), The actually piece of paper is also referred to as "福字" or (fú zì, meaning blessing character). Often the blessing character is hung upside down. One interpretation of this practice is that it is a play on the words. "福倒了" (fú dào le, means " 'fu' upside down"), but it sounds the same as "福到了" (fú dào le), which means blessing has arrived.

^ that one is true, but i'm not sure hanging "bat/ happinese" upside down actually coincidence with this or not lol.
  • PatoRadioativo
    Offline / Send Message
    PatoRadioativo polycounter lvl 6
    extra tips: seems like no one making batrider. because Bat is a good sign for chinese too. because bat pronounce as "蝙蝠" , the "蝠" actually is same pronunciation with "福", happiness.

Hey ,we're working on something for him, I hope we can show something soon.=]
    Has many heroes that can be worked without any rams' horns.
  • agito666
    my take on designing LC concept i left for last year.... oh wait....

DwVyLO7.jpg
  • Reza
    Offline / Send Message
    Reza polycounter lvl 3

flying_goat_by_don_amine-d4vpp5b.png

http://aminebjd.deviantart.com/art/flying-goat-295131791
  • Vayne4800
    Offline / Send Message
    Volvo gief monthly chest!
  • hellmasterx
    Quick question, how can you add transparency on a texture? also, do ember spirit soport it?
  • ReMixx
    Quick question, how can you add transparency on a texture? also, do ember spirit soport it?

Alpha channel of the diffuse texture.

Check the .vmt to see if alphatest 1 is present:
    $alphatest 1

It looks like ember spirit does support alpha test. It's only a 1 bit alpha though -- no partial transparency.
  • hellmasterx
    thank you for your answer :D
  • Vayne4800
    Offline / Send Message
    Finally, it has been a bumpy ride for all of us who worked on this set but we believe it turned out great. Lumberclaw set for Timbersaw comes with all items replacements, loading screen and custom particles for spells and chainsaw.

Honestly I never thought it will be this daunting to make a set for Timbersaw. He is huge! Especially with the tight texture budget on the shoulders item. Additionally, get the reactive armor tested is not straight forward.

Modeling and base texture by Vayne
    Texture finalization and loading screen by Oroboros [Red Moon]
    Particles and SFM video by Drew Carrymore

We would appreciate your support for our latest work.

cdFk0Ga.jpg
    (Link in image)

U0YAeDj.gif

Custom Q Spell:
    A82jbf9.gif

Custom Chakram:
    xij4NP8.gif

Custom Chainsaw Particle:
    wQWZYMd.gifVd60j9R.gif

Portrait View:
    BLY5i6j.gif

BkxWrGy.jpg
    QCtBoco.jpg

P.S. Sorry for the spam!
  • Andyk125
    Offline / Send Message
    Andyk125 polycounter lvl 4
    @Vayne: Great work, that's one mean looking blade.

Damn the quality of sets is getting really high!
    Hope to get something up again in a few weeks..

Btw about the new bloom 2015, it says to create items based around the chinese new year. Does this mean we will see single item chest again?
  • Zipfinator
    Offline / Send Message
    Zipfinator polycounter lvl 9
    Andyk125 wrote: »
    Does this mean we can also make single items again?

No one ever said you can't make single items.
  • Andyk125
    Offline / Send Message
    Andyk125 polycounter lvl 4
    Zipfinator wrote: »
    No one ever said you can't make single items.

I know, but after the whole single item discussions I just wondered if we would see single item chest again..
  • Zipfinator
    Offline / Send Message
    Zipfinator polycounter lvl 9
    Andyk125 wrote: »
    I know, but after the whole single item discussions I just wondered if we would see single item chest again..

No one knows. I still believe they'll put singles in in the future, and I think they will for this event.
  • danpaz3d
    Offline / Send Message
    danpaz3d polycounter lvl 7
    Hmm, seems they've removed all links to external websites in descriptions.
    I guess that's ok for security purposes.

Edit: It's all back. They must have done some filtering/scanning thing.