Home Dota 2

Dota 2 - Workshop Thread

Replies

• Reyne
    Offline / Send Message
    Reyne polycounter lvl 6
    @zip: That makes sense, I thought it would be more triangles. I am going to have to try doing that when I finish some other work and get back to the doto. Also, my bad. it must have been a little specular bit.

@trevor: loving that clockwork!
  • toby.rutter
    Offline / Send Message
    toby.rutter polycounter lvl 7
    Hey friends things have been a bit hectic at work recently so sadly my sniper set got put on the backburner. It's finally up on the workshop here

These are the marketing image and a model shot from Toolbag 2. I've been getting a lot of feedback from people assuming that the marketing image was going to be a loading screen, which I never really intended I'm well aware that my illustration skills are not at the same level as loading screen creators.

x0FJIY2.jpg

ELpSYs0.jpg

I've been getting a lot of feedback from people assuming that the marketing image was going to be a loading screen, which I never really intended, I'm well aware that my illustration skills are not at the same level as loading screen creators. That said I think I'm going to go back and make some edits to it and see if I can bring up the quality to see if I can work as a higher res image.
  • Zipfinator
    Offline / Send Message
    Zipfinator polycounter lvl 9
  • bladeshot
    Offline / Send Message
    bladeshot polycounter lvl 5
    Zipfinator wrote: »
    Finished a PA cloak I did with Arty a couple weeks ago.

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=340553036

6A3B7FBBC3DBFC1F101A8ACFA411FE51235B1525

I'm in love with that color scheme! You should definitely make a set since Valve doesn't accept solo items
  • GhostDetector
    Offline / Send Message
    GhostDetector polycounter lvl 10
    bladeshot wrote: »
    I'm in love with that color scheme! You should definitely make a set since Valve doesn't accept solo items

Why do people keep saying Valve doesn't accept solo items? Have they said they're not going to accept future solo items or is it just speculation?
  • Vayne4800
    Offline / Send Message
    Vayne4800 polycounter lvl 3
    Why do people keep saying Valve doesn't accept solo items? Have they said they're not going to accept future solo items or is it just speculation?

A few months of no solo items and a lot of responses from Valve towards bundling of singles with tourneys/chests indicate that being the case so far.
  • StuBurrito
    Offline / Send Message
    StuBurrito polycounter lvl 7
    I keep seeing people on twitter saying that Valve has told them they won't accept their sets with custom particles. Can anyone confirm this? I've got a set ready to release but don't want to release it if the particles won't get in.
  • Konras
    Offline / Send Message
    Konras polycounter lvl 12
    @StuBurrito We all can guess. No one knows, everyone just speculate. I think its hard for particle sets to get in right now as there is no particle importer yet and those sets require hell of a work from valve to manually add them. Adding so many particle sets can also easily get out of hands so I guess they want to hold back a little till they will have everything figured out.

One of the problems is definitely how particles should be included into game - bound to items, gems etc and how they should be bond to corresponding ability icons and so on so on.
  • Vayne4800
    Offline / Send Message
    Who wanna bet that all this particle hold up is due to the particle gems proposed by DC?
  • motenai
    Offline / Send Message
    motenai polycounter lvl 18
    Ok i'm curious about Solo Items and Tournaments...are they accepted if they are bundled?
    Or they are completly off the charts?
    Is there some document regarding this, or some email or comunication channel where i ask Valve directly?
  • Artypi
    Offline / Send Message
    Artypi polycounter lvl 5
    bladeshot wrote: »

zipf and i remain hopeful that single chests will return to us one day
    but ty ty
  • Zipfinator
    Offline / Send Message
    Zipfinator polycounter lvl 9
    Last time everyone said Singles were dead I got two singles put into the Treasure of the Cloven Wood. Singles might be dead for you guys but they aren't for me.
  • GhostDetector
    Offline / Send Message
    GhostDetector polycounter lvl 10
    motenai wrote: »
    Ok i'm curious about Solo Items and Tournaments...are they accepted if they are bundled?
    Or they are completly off the charts?
    Is there some document regarding this, or some email or comunication channel where i ask Valve directly?

Valve should actually have some stronger connections(in terms of communication) with workshop artists since thats how they're getting their revenue. A simple notification saying "we're looking for sets instead of singles" would be great. They did that with the "new bloom update" saying that they were looking for Chinese themeed items.
  • AndrewHelenek
    Offline / Send Message
    AndrewHelenek polycounter lvl 6
    Zipfinator wrote: »
    Last time everyone said Singles were dead I got two singles put into the Treasure of the Cloven Wood. Singles might be dead for you guys but they aren't for me.

Ok, everyone start saying singles are dead so we can get another singles chest.

Singles are dead! :thumbup:
  • danpaz3d
    Offline / Send Message
    danpaz3d polycounter lvl 7
    I think this line from the guide/resources home page answers a lot of questions. It most likely also applies to particles/animations as well. For now at least.

Technical limitations: Items that require changes in character clothing or facial animation might be considered too costly to produce. Note: This does not mean that we will always refuse an item based on technical complexity. But nine times out of ten, it probably isn't helping your case.

Why only a handful of really popular sets have custom particles, custom animations etc...

For single items, I guess that it's not enough these days to just submit one item for a tourney (unless it's a courier). But I think a set of single items could still work. Like the one that Yi did a while back with all those fem hairstyles. I think it was executed really well.
    http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=198612457
  • Shock
    Offline / Send Message
    Shock polycounter lvl 5
    ive got the answer from some different tourneys that valve told them that they are not interessted anymore in single items, but only in sets.
  • Artypi
    Offline / Send Message
    Artypi polycounter lvl 5
    Shock wrote: »
    ive got the answer from some different tourneys that valve told them that they are not interessted anymore in single items, but only in sets.

zip and i decided that if there have been no singles chests by early next year that we might make it into a set. too much stuff to do and too much uncertainty right now, sadly.
  • OrganizedChaos
    Offline / Send Message
    OrganizedChaos polycounter lvl 17
    The courier Kyle, Matt and I worked on is now up on the workshop! :D

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=340978181
    637x358.resizedimage
  • yakonusuke
    Offline / Send Message
    yakonusuke polycounter lvl 2
    Hehe, had a very similar idea in february this year, but it was never finished...
    But thumbs up for your courier! Turned out great

0r1RT9n.pngaQKh2Mq.png
  • Snowstorm
    Offline / Send Message
    Snowstorm polycounter lvl 5
    @OrganisedChaos - Oh, wow! Excellent execution, love the textures.
  • Andyk125
    Offline / Send Message
    Andyk125 polycounter lvl 4

637x358.resizedimage

Wow amazing work, I really like it!
    Great quality and execution.
  • OrganizedChaos
    Offline / Send Message
    yakonusuke! That's adorable! Awh man, these guys could be buddys/possible rivals :3

Also, thanks so much for the compliments guys! :D
  • motenai
    Offline / Send Message
    motenai polycounter lvl 18
    You've got the best coloring i've seen so far Crystel, i'm so jealous :P
  • Ownage
  • Snowstorm
    Offline / Send Message
    Slowly getting there. Here's this week's WIP.

iAaeLNr.jpg

Just got the weapon sculpt left before I can move on to bakes.

I've also been playing around with the matcaps the last few weeks or so. Still got no idea how Jeremy does his super awesome shader, but I think I've managed a similar effect. It's also interesting that at these settings the framer matcap makes the bumps in the model really obvious. So what that really means is that Jeremy's sculpts are ridiculously clean XD
  • vikk0
    Offline / Send Message
    vikk0 polycounter lvl 6

637x358.resizedimage

Awesome courier!!!! GJ dude:)
    Snowstorm wrote: »
    Slowly getting there. Here's this week's WIP.

iAaeLNr.jpg

Just got the weapon sculpt left before I can move on to bakes.

I've also been playing around with the matcaps the last few weeks or so. Still got no idea how Jeremy does his super awesome shader, but I think I've managed a similar effect. It's also interesting that at these settings the framer matcap makes the bumps in the model really obvious. So what that really means is that Jeremy's sculpts are ridiculously clean XD
    I'm loving this! I had this idea of making his look be more like the Dota1 Hero, so, keep the good work!
  • quockhanhlk
    Offline / Send Message
    quockhanhlk polycounter lvl 11
    tons of great work all around, awesome works everyone :D:D
  • Waddell
    Hi everyone. I'm new here. By the looks of things, this is the place to throw down WIPs.

This is my first serious foray into Zbrush, and I've learned a lot in the process of making it. It's not complete yet, still some things to add and polish, but I'd like some critiques at this point. The theme is an ancient ruins set for Tiny. His big block for an arm won't stay that plain, I plan to decorate it in some way.

sPfRv9X.jpg
  • Kraken
  • Shock
    Offline / Send Message
    Shock polycounter lvl 5
    our (pult, rocket and me) cm set is up! here is the workshoplink:

http://steamcommunity.com/workshop/filedetails/?id=341463918

plz spend us a vote if u like it <3

FineLongBangeltiger.gif
  • MugenMcFugen
    I have a quick question about Blender, is there any ways to nicely import .fbx with bones and weight maps? So far base importer for .fbx in blender is poopy. Any solution to this? Or if there is solution for .smd and .dmx?

Any answer would be appreciated.
  • Hawt Koffee
    Offline / Send Message
    Hawt Koffee polycounter lvl 13
    I have a quick question about Blender, is there any ways to nicely import .fbx with bones and weight maps? So far base importer for .fbx in blender is poopy. Any solution to this?

there was a good third party one but it doesn't seem to work anymore
    default one is utter bollocks
  • darkkyo
    Offline / Send Message
    darkkyo polycounter lvl 6
    Waddell wrote: »
    Hi everyone. I'm new here. By the looks of things, this is the place to throw down WIPs.

This is my first serious foray into Zbrush, and I've learned a lot in the process of making it. It's not complete yet, still some things to add and polish, but I'd like some critiques at this point. The theme is an ancient ruins set for Tiny. His big block for an arm won't stay that plain, I plan to decorate it in some way.

sPfRv9X.jpg

Vines!! Lots and lots of vines(over some archaic architecture carving design maybe)! Maybe even an exotic ancient flower or two growing off of them! Love the idea :)
  • Frump
    Offline / Send Message
    Frump polycounter lvl 12
    They just changed the entire way the workshop works and somehow it's even more confusing and taxing to navigate than before.

The queue is nice but could do some better filtering so you don't get 5 entries from the same set in your queue.

Full on browse only shows most popular for that day instead of a week, which I guess prevents the same stuff from staying at the top, but is just going to make the initial bump more important.
  • Konras
    Offline / Send Message
    Konras polycounter lvl 12
    @Frump wowow that is really interesting to see. I wonder if next step will be to add voting queue inside client. I also wonder what will be the number of avarage votes on items as lately for me it was less than 200. Because of that it was hard to get 5 stars despite positive rating. To be honest greenlight was little confusing for me. I will check new workshop as soon as I will get on PC. Best of luck with new system to everyone :)
  • kite212
    Offline / Send Message
    kite212 polycounter lvl 15
    Hope to see some singles in this next update
  • bounchfx
    kite212 wrote: »
    Hope to see some singles in this next update

322 of them. CALLING IT NOW
  • vikk0
    Offline / Send Message
    vikk0 polycounter lvl 6
    Shock wrote: »
    our (pult, rocket and me) cm set is up! here is the workshoplink:

http://steamcommunity.com/workshop/filedetails/?id=341463918

plz spend us a vote if u like it <3

FineLongBangeltiger.gif

thats awesome, Shock!
    Waddell wrote: »

sPfRv9X.jpg

Looking great so far!! I'd suggest to put some twisted iron bars coming out of the big arm!
  • Waddell
    darkkyo wrote: »
    Vines!! Lots and lots of vines(over some archaic architecture carving design maybe)! Maybe even an exotic ancient flower or two growing off of them! Love the idea :)

Thanks, that's a great idea. I was already planning to incorporate vines into his weapon, but I guess there's no reason why I can't also do it for his other arm.
  • SeeingTriangles
    wow the new workshop is... kinda weird. I guess I'm used to seeing the little green stars.
    Anyway, since the workshop change, any of you guy experience massive of downvotes? I got curious and check my items' stats (the TA set that I uploaded about 3 days ago), I was surprised to see all of the items in that set got more than one hundred of downvotes just after the workshop change. I know that my set isn't that good, but so many downvotes in just a couple of hours is insane.
    On the upside, the upvotes went up quite a lot too. At least this means that the new workshop change guarantees that our items would be seen more.
  • OrganizedChaos
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeahh seeingtriangles, I just checked and have 200 more downvotes on the courier we just submitted than before the adjustment. So from 4 to 24 percent negative and climbing. Woo experimentation!
  • SeeingTriangles
    @OrganizedChaos: I see :( I guess 95%+ positive rating is really hard to achieve now :( It's a bit of a shock to see more than 95% positive rating one day and see less than 80% positive rating the next day
  • quockhanhlk
    Offline / Send Message
    quockhanhlk polycounter lvl 11
    I just wake up, and bam, new workshop update, on one of my item, unique viewer increased from ~900 to almost 2k (1976 atm to be exact), total rating from ~200 to ~1100, positive rating went from 95% to 76%, and i just ask myself, what the f- happened when i was asleep o_0

I think the new system is working as valve wanted it to be, we got more viewer looking at our stuff (at least to me) and the rating is, well, imo a bit true-er than before, and with that question being asked right above the vote buttons, i think the marketing/promoting part will become more and more important if we (i) ever want our rating back to ~90%

PS: and this happen overnight, what the actual f :|
  • kite212
    Offline / Send Message
    kite212 polycounter lvl 15
    It is really nice that you can vote for all the items in a set with one click now, but the whole queue from greenlight im sort of not sure how i feel just yet.. sort of

yes-wait-wtf.gif
  • Vayne4800
    Offline / Send Message
    Mixed feelings about the new voting system. I guess time will show.
  • Snowstorm
    Offline / Send Message
    I think it's because in the past if people were ambivalent about your set they'd more often leave no vote on it rather than down vote it. Now I find that if I'm neutral about a set I'd say "not interested" which is probably a down vote.

In the long run, perhaps it'd give Valve a greater variety of ratings so they can better identify which items the community really wants.

It's also nice that we can now vote on individual items straight from the collection page, even if the author has not labelled the items as a set.
  • SeeingTriangles
    well it seems "No thanks/Not interested" equals a downvote. And since you have to press either "Yes", "No thanks/Not interested" or "Ask me again later" to proceed with the queue, most people would press "No thanks/Not interested" instead of "Ask me again later" if they are not interested. I guess this is where all the downvotes come from.
    I'm not sure how the queue works though. The queue seems to include lots of popular items in the past. I guess this is the reason why some items from months ago gets to the 2nd and 3rd page of "Most popular (today)"
  • OrganizedChaos
    Offline / Send Message
    /shrug I'm kind of interested in how things will pan out. I played around with the queue for a while and it's pulling up things from over 2 years ago. Maybe the old items/sets will be remembered? That could be cool.
  • vertical
    Offline / Send Message
    vertical polycounter lvl 9
    Needless to say, since we are seeing more traffic to items, it's most likely the case that the possitive % threshold will be lowered to get accepted in the store.
  • Reza
    Offline / Send Message
    Reza polycounter lvl 3
    Maybe all of this is because actually more people are visiting the workshop today. (because of this +)