Home Quixel Megascans

ANSWERED: how to handle tiling repetition in masks?

akaChris
polycounter lvl 6
Offline / Send Message
akaChris polycounter lvl 6
Hi guys,

I was wondering what kind of best practices could be recommended in cases where using smart material masks creates extreme repetition on surface details (scratch mask for example).

my texel density is at 512px/m (one 2k sheet equals 4 meters). so I constantly get very poor results on flat surfaces. I can reduce that by excluding the surfaces themselves, restricting the masks purely too the edges but that leaves the surfaces almost too clean. any ideas or is this a case that just isn't suitable for the existing smart materials? I was thinking about creating custom scratch masks but haven't looked into that yet.

increasing the texel density ratio isn't helping either as it makes scratches unnaturally large.

Replies

• ghaztehschmexeh
    Use another texture to mask it in the dynamask editor.
  • akaChris
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thanks , that works surprisingly well. Haven't tried creating custom textures up until now but this definitely gives it a boost in quality with the right textures
  • Eric Ramberg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yes that is a good method to use! Sometimes if i get heavy repetition over large surfaces where i still want to keep the details small, i use two textures to mask with in dynamask, then I group the scratch/dirt- layer or whatever it may be and mask that group using different materials im dynamask. But usually blending two different textures in dynamask does the trick.

Its not a bad idea to create your own black and white materials to use just for blending though, I do that alot and its very usefull and the re-usage of that is very high!

To create a texture to use just for masking you simply make a black and white image ( make normals with ndo if you want too) preferably at least 4K. Then click "create new material" in ddo, input the b&w image as albedo and normal map in normal map slot if needed, then create, now you can use them in dynamask! The ones I made are in the pattern-catalogue in the material browser, not sure why but I call them patterns :)

That was a very long repyl, hopefully it makes sense! :) let me know if there is anything that is unclear!
  • akaChris
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thanks Eric, that makes sense - especially with mixing 2 textures the results are pretty good. Although I noticed I might have to replace all the textures as each element seems to get very repetitive (paint/metal/dirt/etc). It would be great if the smart materials would scale better in some future release. Maybe this is something that megascans could be good at? looking forward to getting my hands on it, seeing if there is something in there in regards to metal texturing on those scale levels
  • Eric Ramberg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It´s actually a really good point, we have looked a little bit in to making the whole smart material scalable, as of know you kind of have to make a choice when making the smart material, will this be used on something small, or something bigger like a wall. We also toyed with the idea of labelling the smart materials, for example Scratched metall - Small, Plaster - big, but I´m not sure if that would confuse more than help?
  • bac9-flcl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bac9-flcl polycounter lvl 10
    Actually, Eric, labeling every material to show the real area of a captured texture would be enormously useful. Like "Scratched metal (2m)", "Brick wall (3.8m)" and so on. I always kept track of that for every texture I used back when we were working with manually textured non-PBR photo sourced environments, and I kind of miss this sort of knowledge when I delegate the texturing to DDO, it allowed wonderfully consistent texturing sometimes. Would not make things too large for the labels in the UI too, in contrast with wordy additions like " - medium".
  • akaChris
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Once I ended up having a very confusing 50cm large thumbprint on my wall ;) so yeah labeling would be a good first step :P

the ideal scenario I think would be smart materials that contain subsets for different size scenarios that get automatically selected or scaled depending on the chosen texel size. or something that is optimized for a larger scale like 4 meters but scalable for 2 and 1m (the later seems to be what the smart materials are optimized for atm). it might even help if the textures used would be repeated using random 90 degree rotations and mirroring (unfortunately not supported by the pattern functionality of ps tho)
  • Eric Ramberg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    In megascans this wont be a problem as everything is unified and clearly stated, but for smart materials it´s more of an issue I think and worth looking in to for sure!
  • CKohl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CKohl polycounter lvl 10
    Its not a bad idea to create your own black and white materials to use just for blending though, I do that alot and its very usefull and the re-usage of that is very high!

To create a texture to use just for masking you simply make a black and white image ( make normals with ndo if you want too) preferably at least 4K. Then click "create new material" in ddo, input the b&w image as albedo and normal map in normal map slot if needed, then create, now you can use them in dynamask! The ones I made are in the pattern-catalogue in the material browser, not sure why but I call them patterns :)

That was a very long repyl, hopefully it makes sense! :) let me know if there is anything that is unclear!

Got a visual example of that?
  • Eric Ramberg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I´ll set up a visual example for tomorrow!
  • CKohl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CKohl polycounter lvl 10
  • Eric Ramberg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sorry for the wait guys, and sorry for the images, they aren´t the sexiest :D
    I simply made a shape in ndo really quick, and the goal here is to make some metal scraping showing through the paint. But first let me say that this should be the last resort, if you have the correct textel density and a dynamask that uses the cavities and edges of your mesh together with gradient and object space normal then the result should be fairly tile-less.

BUT in some cases you simply want wear and tear on flat surfaces and that is usually when the problems occur, so lets jump in to it. This project is 2048x2048 and the texel density is 1024.
    The first image is just one material being used as a mask, doesnt look too sexy, obvious tiling.

ePhpugN.jpg

Next one I´ve added another material in the dynamask. Already looking better but still,tiling can be see quite obviously and
    it doesnt look that much like scratches either.

A7G1wbf.jpg

What I do next is that I group the single scratch-layer, now I can apply a dynamask to the group as well.

YaYPcyZ.jpg

Notice that I scaled up the textures here, now teddy Reeeeeeeeally hates when I do this so hopefully he won´t see this post. But most times this can be OK, firstly because it doesn´t necessarily means the texture is scaled up beyond its own resolution, that´s down to texel density and and what resolution it was to begin with. Secondly, the second mask doesnt define the detail as much as the first mask did, this one is more of "general" mask.

So the result off all this looks like:
    6r660vk.jpg

Breathtakingly beautiful to say the least, but the principal of it all is very useful. But as I said in the beginning, most of the time just using two materials mixed in one mask does the trick, but sometimes you just want some more control and this is the way I usually do it, Im sure there are several other was. And the better your inputs and texel density value is the less you are dependant on this method, but then again, sometimes you are faced with a big flat surface.

I would really like to encourage you to create your own patterns to use for masking, its super simple and very rewarding, and as I´ve said before the reusability is incredibly high!

The way the materials included in the suite where scanned make tiling a problem sometimes, I think they´re 50x50cm. But the scans in the Megascans library are bigger, can´t remember exactly (I should know this) but I think they´re 2mx2m patches, so obviously when Megascans launches that will also help a great deal!

Hope this helps, let me know if you have questions or if I missed something!
  • CKohl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CKohl polycounter lvl 10
    But what of this custom black and white material technique where you input your own albedo and normal?

• Eric Ramberg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    That proccess is really simple, you create a black and white mask in PS, either from scratch or from a photo. Most of the time I make them tileable but sometimes you might want moew of a "stamp". After that I use the black and white image to create normals whith NDO, if needed. Then you go to DDO, create new material, amd add your newly created maps to albedo and normal, then hit create. And thats it! Im thinking of doing a proper guide for this with some usefull tips!
  • CKohl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CKohl polycounter lvl 10
    Oh so it's basically the same as using the existing materials in Dynamask in the Texture or Texture (Secondary) slots except using a custom material.
  • Eric Ramberg
  • Gordon Robb
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gordon Robb polycounter lvl 2
    That proccess is really simple, you create a black and white mask in PS, either from scratch or from a photo. Most of the time I make them tileable but sometimes you might want moew of a "stamp". After that I use the black and white image to create normals whith NDO, if needed. Then you go to DDO, create new material, amd add your newly created maps to albedo and normal, then hit create. And thats it! Im thinking of doing a proper guide for this with some usefull tips!

That would be really useful :)
  • Eric Ramberg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I will do a guide on that as soon as I get back from my trip beginning of next week!