Home General Discussion

Anyone try fusion 360 yet for modeling complex hard surfaces?

polycounter lvl 13
Offline / Send Message
artquest polycounter lvl 13
Hi all! Since there seems to be a high number of forward thinking individuals here on PC I figured I would ask around to see if anyone has experimented with T-splines and T spline software(such as fusion 360 or others) for hard surface modeling. I've heard that you can go from T-splines to polygons relatively easy.

They look like polygons and nurbs had a baby. And I for one am very interested in the flexibility of polygons with the precision of nurbs!!! :D

On top of that some of the tools in the video below look like a dream come true!

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uycl5_ZvMoE[/ame]

Skip to time stamp 4:08 to see the goodies. :)

Replies

• PyrZern
    Offline / Send Message
    PyrZern polycounter lvl 12
    Looks pretttty neat there.
    I hope ZB4R7 and 5 are way better +.+
  • Drew++
    Offline / Send Message
    Drew++ polycounter lvl 14
    Autodesk Fusion is basically a simpler version of Inventor without certain features, a more simple UI and is more "interactive" with certain tools(like fillet). Though, it's pretty neat to use! Sometimes I use it on my laptop when I'm just messing around, since it's a smaller package than Inventor. I use Inventor for more serious projects, with more complex objects and assemblies.
    Check out the thread I made! http://www.polycount.com/forum/showthread.php?t=143866
    I actually need to post some more stuff in there...

Also, it's not a mix of it anything really, simply a more interactive version of a geometric modeling kernel. Inventor and Fusion use their own geometric modeling kernel called ShapeManager.
  • WarrenM
    I've used CAD style stuff for a few pieces and while interesting it gets a little tiresome swapping back and forth between apps when things need tweaking.

In my experience, anyway.

Having said that, I like the push/pull mechanic they have going on there. That looks really nice and fluid...
  • artquest
    Offline / Send Message
    WarrenM wrote: »
    I've used CAD style stuff for a few pieces and while interesting it gets a little tiresome swapping back and forth between apps when things need tweaking.

In my experience, anyway.

Having said that, I like the push/pull mechanic they have going on there. That looks really nice and fluid...

I heard that with T-splines it's pretty easy to go back and forth from polygons to T-splines. If that's true I imagine you might be able to have a setup where you wouldn't have to jump back to other software to make changes. I could see a pretty nice workflow going from Fusion 360 into maya/3ds/modo for final tweaks.
  • artquest
    Offline / Send Message
    Found something of interest!

A lot of these tools feel very fluid when compared to the default and sometimes clunky workflows in 3ds max and maya. Because you aren't dealing with the actual topology but rather groups of topology that form the primitive shapes it seems to make some operations a little easier.

The interesting thing is that most of the actions performed aren't really that different from 3ds max and maya, it's just a user interface improvement and streamlined way to perform said actions. (that being said I think the scene management looks quite ugly. lol!)

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iiDI0M7PusY[/ame]