Home Dota 2

Dota 2 - Workshop Thread

Replies

• mihalceanu
    Offline / Send Message
    mihalceanu polycounter lvl 6
    katzeimsack : thats sexy as hell :)

I finished a bristleback set with Noblebatterfly
    workshop link : http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=435842483

TzbQNye.jpg

cheers
  • Karkeng Chan Jia Jyn
    Offline / Send Message
    Karkeng Chan Jia Jyn polycounter lvl 2
    WOW that is one crazy awesome set :D voted!
  • Shock
    Offline / Send Message
    Shock polycounter lvl 5
    Polycount Community Chest Event

hey people, i just set up the big collection!
    im rly happy with the result. all of u guys did such an amazing work!
    like, favor and share it with ur friends :)

A4849560DF9170E736E532CC00BC1CA626E53254

check it out :)
  • Swaggernaut
    Offline / Send Message
    Swaggernaut polycounter lvl 2
    Hey Guys! Almost done with the Meepo set, meanwhile I was just working on this ward with Chanfree

nQgunB2.png?1
  • Karkeng Chan Jia Jyn
    Offline / Send Message
    Fmna8R3.jpg

Hi guys this is my 2nd set hope you guys like it :) C&C are welcome
  • wuttivas
    hi dude i have problem

i import head riki but i not see it

thumb-B201_55465379.jpg

thumb-14B7_55465379.jpg

and this frist my porduct

thumb-4032_55465498.jpg

thumb-7764_55465498.jpg
  • Karkeng Chan Jia Jyn
    Offline / Send Message
    @wuttivas actually u can ,its just that the head is off screen .Try binding the skin with this method by selecting the mesh first then select the joints then bind skin. hope it works :)
  • CiDDi
    Hello everyone! Want to share you my new set "Relic of the Chronoptic Elements" (collab with Nullf)
    637x358.resizedimage
    http://steamcommunity.com/workshop/filedetails/?id=437012805
    hope you'll like him
  • Konras
    Offline / Send Message
    Konras polycounter lvl 12
    @CiDDi Love this design. Perfect set for Lesh!
  • CiDDi
    Konras wrote: »
    @CiDDi Love this design. Perfect set for Lesh!

Wow, thanks a lot! Glad that you like him!
  • Stirner
    Offline / Send Message
    Stirner polycounter lvl 2
    Hi guys! One more set concept is finished, looking for collab. WNSWAjh.png
  • phobalien
    Offline / Send Message
    phobalien polycounter lvl 6
    Hi guys, I'm back with my dragon knight set after almost 5 months!
    Very busy with work so whenever I could sput some hours on the model I did... I have usually kept the progress for me and some close friends after the hipoly pass... well, now I'm done I would say and I like to share the result with the community.

As I stated originally, this dragon knight is a bit of an homage to Dracul/Gabriel of the Lords of shadow games from Castlevania. He is a "Dragon knight" after all!
    So long coat, mostly red leather and dragon horns all around.
    The back story of Dragon knight works very well with this design as the set shows the legacy with the dragon that forged his strength with the knight.

anyway, I hope you like it! Soon I will finalize it with the extra materials and I will submit it ;).
    Cheers
    N9j8c7h.jpg
    N9j8c7h
  • Clyptic
    Offline / Send Message
    Clyptic polycounter lvl 6
    Almost finished with this set, a re-textured version of a WK set I made last year. I liked the design, but the old texture were terrible.

tJejKBE.jpg
  • Swaggernaut
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey guys, have been really busy lately juggling between the ward and the Meepo set with Stirner and RockIt.

Have finished rigging the Meepo set, So here is a side by side comparison between our set and the default one:

yiISL2q.png?1

qNi5jpH.png?1
  • Anuxinamoon
    Offline / Send Message
    Anuxinamoon polycounter lvl 14
    phobalien wrote: »
    Hi guys, I'm back with my dragon knight set after almost 5 months!
    Very busy with work so whenever I could sput some hours on the model I did... I have usually kept the progress for me and some close friends after the hipoly pass... well, now I'm done I would say and I like to share the result with the community.

As I stated originally, this dragon knight is a bit of an homage to Dracul/Gabriel of the Lords of shadow games from Castlevania. He is a "Dragon knight" after all!
    So long coat, mostly red leather and dragon horns all around.
    The back story of Dragon knight works very well with this design as the set shows the legacy with the dragon that forged his strength with the knight.

anyway, I hope you like it! Soon I will finalize it with the extra materials and I will submit it ;).
    Cheers
    N9j8c7h.jpg
    N9j8c7h

God that design, I'm gonna be super blunt, so don't read on if you don't have a bit of thick skin.
    Your design has amazing potential! I love the distribution of weight, and lines. But the whole set is executed on a sub par level. I don't have much to go on from this image so I can't assess what went wrong but it looks like a slightly muddy high (I'm looking at the horn material on the shoulder, the shield and the helm.) Couple that with a texture style that doesn't fall in line with the dota2 style, plus I haven't seen an in game view to assess if it even works in game; It makes for this set to fall down for me.

If you can provide other shots, like when you get the masks on and some in game shots (remember to take some from the default camera angle) I'd gladly give more thoughts on this set.

I really hope you don't stop designing, your design eye is very nice, I would just like to see the execution fit the art style of dota2 a bit more. :)
  • mihalceanu
    Offline / Send Message
    mihalceanu polycounter lvl 6
    phobalien : as Anuxi said , your set is a bit muddy texture wise , but you can fix that pretty easy imo .

As a suggestion , I wouldnt use brown and desaturated colors for that hero . He is all about bright red+yellow and black

ref of a good set : https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/originals/e6/3e/14/e63e14f23766a4605ceeb845be58b360.jpg

here's a quick test :xjkYoOW.jpg
  • Pipotchi
    Offline / Send Message
    Pipotchi polycounter lvl 4
    personally i really like the brown, it makes him stand out from the other dragon knight sets and it has a really nice softness to the colors which makes him look more ancient- but i agree with it perhaps being a bit muddy. and perhaps repeating the dragon face twice, on the shield and on his back could be avoided- id remove the face on his back because faces on backs always confuse me from a design perspective lol
  • Swaggernaut
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey guys, When I import my items into the dota 2 importer tool, my masks sometimes don't work. Has this happened to anyone before? How can I fix it?
  • Clyptic
    Offline / Send Message
    @phobalien Seeing as everyone else is, I'll give my 2 cents. I personally like the brown and the back face ( I did that on my necro set). The design is pretty good over all, but as stated, lacks edge control so it looks muddy. I did a rough paint over of how I think it could be improved, hope it helps.

5e396Lf.jpg
  • phobalien
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi people... wow after a couple of days all this attention is unexpected :)!
    First off, thanks for the time to comment my model, I appreciate any critique and feedback since it can lead to improvements.
    On the other end I learned with time that you will never pleased everyone so the best you can do is please yourself and some others in the process!
    Now to the comments:

@Anuxi: Hi there, we don't know each others personally and I'm pretty new to dota in general so here is quick intro: this is my first complete dota model, with the previous one being the Lifestealer set made with Motenai where I took care of general design a hipoly sculpt.
    Usually my week is pretty busy as I am artist and runner of Forge Studios. This is not an excuse for work done sloppy of course! But I believe this wasn't the case. I work on this model over 6 months I think... with very discontinued time and focus.
    I believe the design and modelling to be pretty solid for Dota and general standards. The texturing, when I will be able to show some flat diffuse screens, will look good as well i believe. However, yes I may have fall short on the execution of the horn material and even after some tweak I did, perhaps I could do an extra pass.
    As I said, this was the first set where I had to deal with textures and material for dota so I won't really shine as a master in handling them I believe.
    Also, I found the material preset of Dragon knight to be super reflective in game and it is very annoying. However there is possibly more I can do to control that.
    About the dota style in texturing it I don't see this distance honestly.
    I could touch up the highlights but I will have to reduce the metalness maybe so is a more visible effect. Maybe that would work?
    Of course, thanks for your time in providing feedback :)

@mihalceanu: ehi man, thanks for the image and I have actually tried that in the beginning... I didn't like that much contrast to be honest. I know is a common choice for a red dragon to have black horns but even looking at your image now It doesn't work for me. Still as Clyptic suggested after you, maybe if I push more the highlights it will become more defined and less muddy.

@Pipotchi: thanks for the support on the brown :). About the double face, in the end was a choice to be able to see the dragon both from front and back... the original idea was to have it only on the back. Later however I went on the shield as well... there was a moment were I was thinking ''well, what about the sword then...and the knee pad... and..'' luckily my sanity went back ;).
    In any case as you can imagine, removing one of the 2 is too much work and redesign so, giving that I'm happy with it, this time it will stay :P

@Clyptic: thanks for the supporting image man. I think I will try something like that. This way the muddy effect should be reduce due to more contrast and definition. Following Motenai and others artists suggestions I had already boosted the highlights but I see I can do more. I will pair this with a less specular strength on the masks perhaps.

Thanks everyone for the feedback. I will see to grab some screens tomorrow to show you more how it looks as a flat texture and in-game as it is now.
    So you can see better how it was put together.
    Sorry for he long post as well but I did it with passion and I don't want to look like a dumb artist :).
    Best
  • phobalien
    Offline / Send Message
    @ Anuxi: funny enough we have both worked for Kingdom death for a bit :)
  • Rubus
    Offline / Send Message
    Rubus polycounter lvl 5
    @phobalien:

I fear it may have to do with the general shapes, as everything is too round it ends up with a play dough-y feel.

I love the shape of the helm, by the way, I think this set can go places with a bit more work (:
  • Stirner
    Offline / Send Message
    Stirner polycounter lvl 2
    Hi guys, here's one more concept, looking for collab VnDe03W.png
  • phobalien
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi guys, here is an update after yesterday's round of comments:
    -I raised up the highlights I painted before on the horns on all pieces. A bit of cavity push as well on those.
    - I put killed the red on the bolts placed around... after all I think the contrast was being a bit too artificial... however now I notice I missed the one on the front... smart move! I will fix that later.
    - in the end I also tried to desaturate the horns and they are not too bad... also in game they get brownish anyway :).

so, the top 3 screens are again from marmoset for comparison with previous ones.
    as requested, here come some ingame screens as well. I believe is behaving pretty well and is inline enough with the surroundings.
    Please guys let me know what you think.
    Best

vVJsCVK.jpg
  • Malloy
    Offline / Send Message
    Malloy polycounter lvl 6
    That DK set looks how I wish DK looked from the beginning. I feel like it needs some brighter yellows or something. I released a DK sword that deviated directly from the initial tones/values of DK and it was slated for it. Maybe make the yellow 'leather' segments brighter? Looks fantastic otherwise!
  • Swaggernaut
    Offline / Send Message
    Almost there boyzz

OrMdfGr.png?1
  • polaroid29
    Offline / Send Message
    polaroid29 polycounter lvl 6
    -I raised up the highlights I painted before on the horns on all pieces. A bit of cavity push as well on those.
    - I put killed the red on the bolts placed around... after all I think the contrast was being a bit too artificial... however now I notice I missed the one on the front... smart move! I will fix that later.
    - in the end I also tried to desaturate the horns and they are not too bad... also in game they get brownish anyway :).

so, the top 3 screens are again from marmoset for comparison with previous ones.
    as requested, here come some ingame screens as well. I believe is behaving pretty well and is inline enough with the surroundings.
    Best

vVJsCVK.jpg

The silhouette looks fantastic in game! I wasn't a huge fan of the set from the first image of it you posted, but it looks great in game. I'm normally a fan of darker, muted colors, but you are really doing the set a disservice by having the colors so dull in game. Generally, you don't want the background (grass, stones, etc) to be brighter and more in your face than the main hero character. Pop out those reds and browns on his helmet and horns a lot more, and this will look amazing.
  • Snowstorm
    Offline / Send Message
    Snowstorm polycounter lvl 5

Best

Having seen the in-game pics I think your colours need some tweaking.

To begin with, I would suggest making the horns much brighter. In their current shade they disappear into the rest of the model from the in-game view. That's particularly obvious from the night shot, and around the sword hilt during the day. The horns look awesome in showcase, but people are not going to be looking at the showcase view for more than a few seconds per game.

Also, like some others have suggested, I think you should separate your colours more. Make the orange leather yellow perhaps. I love the leathery look to the material, but those cool shapes at the bottom of the coat are completely invisible from the in-game view. I think in general your colours are a lot more desaturated than the rest of Dota 2's palette.

All in all, whilst the model itself is fantastic I think you've not taken into consideration Dota 2's camera angle and zoom enough. There's tons of nice detail in the shoulders and under the arms, but these will never be seen in a normal Dota game. The colours need more separation so that your shapes are visible in-game. The shield also looks quite uninteresting from the top, though it looks good from the front.

And speaking as someone who transitioned into making Dota 2 items from modeling Mechs, the style might come read as a liiiiittle futuristic. But that's subjective, so I guess it's open to interpretation.
  • Chemical Alia
    Offline / Send Message
    Chemical Alia polycounter lvl 7
    The fur stole could use some work.
  • Anuxinamoon
    Offline / Send Message
    55ddba148b.jpg

Greyscaling the image posted really highlights what is lacking in the texture. After you get your values right, work on using complementary colours to pop out more saturated areas. Your gradient top down is non existent. Try to put a bit of colour into your ao/light maps. The default grey of the bakes can also make colours look flat.
    Hope it helps! :3
  • putka
    Offline / Send Message
    putka polycounter lvl 6
    Wow, he's getting excellent feedback, I wish everyone would :D
  • ShorkGamer
    Offline / Send Message
    ShorkGamer polycounter lvl 7
    I wonder when the first wave of Ti chests will kick in, I finally wanna know if I got smth in or not. :-)
  • motenai
    Offline / Send Message
    motenai polycounter lvl 18
    TI chests? last year if i recall correctly they were published during TI4 days, so i don't see them coming very soon in my opinion.
    Also i think they set up a deadline for summer "content" for the 26th of may, so for sure nothing is gonna happen before that date, and probably not even immediately after.
  • blossomalex
    Just published our new Juggernaut Set! Hope you like it :)
    dxLJQLh.jpg?1
  • Malloy
    Offline / Send Message
    Malloy polycounter lvl 6
    That is one neat Jugger set! Voted
  • Eddy Shin
    Offline / Send Message
    Eddy Shin polycounter lvl 6
    Hey guys, this is my second project for Dota 2 workshop and also the first time I'm working with Attasik. He’s cool!I hope you guys will like it. If you do, please click "Yes" to show us your love. Thank you for supporting.
    JUUy8g9.jpg
    Foph107.gif
  • phobalien
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi people,

thanks for all the feedback first of all I appreciate the help you are giving me to tweak the textures. I went on the diffuses again trying to keep in mind several comments and I think you will notice the improvements :).

The general tweak was the saturation for the full set. After this, the other main issue was the values of some pieces against each others. I have to agree with this general feedback as it really boost the feeling of the model in engine.

As I said, this is my first texturing in dota and I may be to used to keep stuff in range for pbr and other desaturated games I work on :D.

Last, some specific replies:
    @Malloy: thanks for the compliments and yes I have pushed the yellow in particular. good call.
    @polaroid29: thanks to you as well man and yes too dull colors after all. I guess now is going to be better.
    @Snowstorm: thanks for your comments. I went on tweaking both colors and values as I said above. Good feedback.
    @Anuxinamoon: well yes, I was lacking some push on values and the overall lack of saturation was holding down the difference in hues. Now should be better. In any case the AO has always been turn to bluish as a flat gray is boring ;)
    @putka: ehi man, what can I say?! I'm very happy about this :).

Now, if you bother to read till here, lets get to the image!
    Lcn07Ss.jpg
  • Insaneophobia
    Offline / Send Message
    Insaneophobia polycounter lvl 5
    That's way better man! Great improvement on the general values!
  • Baddcog
    Offline / Send Message
    Baddcog polycounter lvl 9
    Much better but I think you should put some worn edges on the red plates of the shield.
    That part seems painted metal to me.
  • Anuxinamoon
    Offline / Send Message
    Much better. Still lacking the top down gradient though! Make sure you read the DOTA2 art guides if you don't know what I'm spewing xD
  • motenai
    Offline / Send Message
    motenai polycounter lvl 18
    Yep i agree with the others, much better Phobalien!
    I'd still add some color variations on the horns, and maybe like Anuxi said, you can do a light darker gradient at the bottom with some slight hue shift towards purple maybe.
    Pretty nice job anyway! ^_^
  • belkun
    Offline / Send Message
    belkun polycounter lvl 7
    Just submitted an Enchantress set with cottonwings. Go check out this cute girl on the workshop!

kYOesU4.jpg

As with the last set I submitted, I'm posting some of the process and details of everything on my Tumblr, so go check that too if you want to see some concepts, sculpts, textures and all that good stuff!
  • stkopp
    Offline / Send Message
    stkopp polycounter lvl 4
    Making sand king set right now. I feel like it is gonna be pretty tough to make proper skinning, especially in tail area.
    JyWXbWo.gif
  • Clyptic
    Offline / Send Message
    @stkopp Really nice looking shapes and design. I am not a fan of the head though, it makes him look like a lizard and doesn't feel very intimidating compared to most of his sets.
  • SilverWolfDota
    Hey guys! Just launched my first set! Would appreciate any critiques you could throw my way so I can get better on the next one as well as any votes I can get for some extra visibility. Thanks!

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=144810208

E1C0F614A5015102CBA369DBEF0470D8153D938B
  • Mr. Toodles
    Offline / Send Message
    Mr. Toodles polycounter lvl 11
    hey guys i'm getting this missing reference file error, i have an older unpacked version of the game with the files its missing, however the new version doesn't have these, i had my friend test it also so i don't know if its me or valve lol

all of my files compile succesfully but it cant reference the files it wants to
  • Baddcog
    Offline / Send Message
    Baddcog polycounter lvl 9
    does your model possibly have two materials assigned?
    I'd select the entire mesh and apply a mat to it once, then export and test.
  • Mr. Toodles
    Offline / Send Message
    badcog I gave it a shot and it didnt work, i think it has to do with the root file, I deleted and re-exported the files and i still haven't found the solution . I think i have to do something to the vmt files but im not sure what. :\

naga sure doesnt mind loading my item lol

edit:

if anyone knows how to find

vengeful2_body_color.vmt

it would help alot haha i dont have this vmt template to alter my files and its definitely not in my root
  • BohSheh
    Offline / Send Message
    BohSheh polycounter lvl 9
    hey guys i'm getting this missing reference file error, i have an older unpacked version of the game with the files its missing, however the new version doesn't have these, i had my friend test it also so i don't know if its me or valve lol

all of my files compile succesfully but it cant reference the files it wants to

*Requires GCFScape*
    Try this
    1) Extract vengeful_spirit_body_color.vmt from the vpk file ( Located at materials/models/heroes/vengeful_spirit)
    2) Rename to vengeful2_body_color.vmt ( make sure it is exactly the same as specified from the error )
    3) Create a new file directory materials/models/heroes/vengeful ( exactly the same as specified from the error )
    4) set -override_vpk at launch option .
    5) Test ! :D
  • Mr. Toodles
    Offline / Send Message
    BohSheh wrote: »
    *Requires GCFScape*
    Try this
    1) Extract vengeful_spirit_body_color.vmt from the vpk file ( Located at materials/models/heroes/vengeful_spirit)
    2) Rename to vengeful2_body_color.vmt ( make sure it is exactly the same as specified from the error )
    3) Create a new file directory materials/models/heroes/vengeful ( exactly the same as specified from the error )
    4) set -override_vpk at launch option .
    5) Test ! :D

edit thanks gonna try it with override on

edit2: same error, this is where im creating the directory folder vengeful

\Steam\steamapps\common\dota 2 beta\dota\root\materials\models\heroes

am i putting it in the wrong place?