Home Unreal Engine

Issue with landscape texture being blocky and black?

shearer157
polycounter lvl 4
Offline / Send Message
shearer157 polycounter lvl 4
Hi guys

Trying to set up a little paint texture for the painting tool in Landscapes, to attempt an oil spill.
Unfortunately, when I paint enough for it to look like a puddle (Or try anyway) it looks like these photos.
Attached the material set up (Excuse the mess, I had to fit it all in)

Any idea why its doing this and not forming a puddle?

Any help appreciated.

Thanks

(Posted this in Quixel Suite by accident, this is where it belongs)

Replies

• wes.sau
    I suggest making an inverted form of all your Specular textures and plug them into the Roughness input. Then in the level, add a Sphere Reflection Capture actor over each puddle in order to get the reflections to show up.

Edit: Also to be safe you can try adding a flat normal map or a 0,0,1 vector node to represent the Oil's missing normal map for the Oil layer.

The blocky borders could possibly be smoothed (more like dithered) with Height Blend usage in the LandscapeLayerBlend material node, but in that case make sure at least one layer is set to Alpha Blend or black artifacts at layer transitions can show up. But still the quads of the terrain will always influence the layer blending to some degree, so if you want really crisp circular shapes for the puddles then a Decal is probably the better way to go.