Home Unreal Engine

Liquid in a tube material guide or help

starfrogsplash
polycounter lvl 6
Offline / Send Message
starfrogsplash polycounter lvl 6
Hi Guys,

I have no idea on the best way to create a liquid in a tube material or texture to get so it looks like the reference,

I'm thinking I would have a bubble texture that pans maybe or particle? I'm not sure how to tackle it,

Any help would be much appreciated

Liquid%20tube_zpswbj2rg6j.jpg

Replies

• Texelion
    Offline / Send Message
    Texelion polycounter lvl 8
    I saw people simply separating the glass and the liquid itself, so on the exterior mesh ( glass ) you put a glass material, and then you can create a liquid material, with a panning texture maybe ?
  • Vailias
    Offline / Send Message
    Vailias polycounter lvl 18
    A couple of upfront things first:
    1: Which engine are you using? UDK or UE4?
    2: How close will the viewer get to this asset? Does this need to be really high fidelity for up close viewing, or is it something that is more set dressing and background?

3: will the fluid ever need to "fill up" the tube or will it always be full?
    4: how often will this fluid material show up? Is re-use and flexibility a concern?

5: Your three references are all rather different vs how you're going to use them in the mesh. One is well lit globally and being viewed near opposite the main illumination angle, one is directionally lit from the front side and being viewed closer to in line with the the light source, and one is essentially backlit.

The goal here is to make a material that works on your mesh and for your purposes, rather than a general purpose fluid simulation, so the question becomes, which of these is most likely? Will there be light inside the pipe or will all light come from the outside?