Home General Discussion

This is a first... (organic cereals)

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
swampbug polycounter lvl 18
This is a new item I found on the shelf at a typical American grocery store. There was also Raisin bran, and mini wheats.

I think this is a good move on kellogs part. Too many american foods are just loaded with shit. Kellogs is just jumping on the wagon, going with the market.. etc. But i think its nice in this case. I buy almost 80% organic food these days. And shop at a locally run natural foods store. Rice krispies Organic is nice to see for the general public to eat up.

Regular rice krispies are cheaper, and have High fructose corn syrup in it. BAH !

ok.jpg

Replies

• AstroZombie
    Offline / Send Message
    AstroZombie polycounter lvl 18
    Careful ... it could only be "organic" because the lobbyists got the politicians to relax some of the standards.
  • Josh_Singh
    Offline / Send Message
    Josh_Singh polycounter lvl 18
    I'd buy it if it was "Orgasmic"
  • CheapAlert
    Offline / Send Message
    CheapAlert polycounter lvl 18
    so we're gonna have the bird flu and disease in the cheerios right
  • KeyserSoze
    Offline / Send Message
    KeyserSoze polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    I'd buy it if it was "Orgasmic"

[/ QUOTE ]

That would be the "frosted" flakes...
  • flaagan
    Offline / Send Message
    flaagan polycounter lvl 18
    Whatever happened to just good old fashioned food....
  • KeyserSoze
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Organic food is actually a return to old fashioned food... it's the high fructose corn syrup, partially hydrogenated oils, and trans fat that have been put into use in the last couple decades that aren't "old fashioned." Of course, I don't really care about organic foods myself, I just buy whatever's cheapest and try to avoid too much soda and saturated fat.
  • Slum
    Offline / Send Message
    Slum polycounter lvl 18
    I work in a health food store, so I know a tad bit about 'organic' food.

Just because it's labelled as organic, doesn't mean it's what you would call organic. As long as the product/company are certified, they can call it 'organic'. The problem lies in the companies that are doing the certification. It's kind of like getting a college degree from one of those online 'schools'. On paper, you have a degree, but you didn't really 'go to college.'

I really don't have a particular fancy for organic/non organic food. Like KeyserSoze, I like to just be positive about my diet and try to be conscious of what's going on. I don't really follow the fanatical crazy diet people, whether it be pro or against 'healthy food'.

And I think I've used too many 'quotes' in this 'forum post'. :P
  • Bradfordart
    Offline / Send Message
    Bradfordart polycounter lvl 18
    isnt organic produce worth it? to avoid the pesticide stuff
  • oXYnary
    Offline / Send Message
    oXYnary polycounter lvl 18
    If it indeed did brad. Part of the problem is the usda certs have been lowered. If you buy organic, look for state certified (like washington or california) for more "true" organic.

I wouldnt trust Kellogs crap. And its still full of sugar.
  • Penzer
    Offline / Send Message
    Penzer polycounter lvl 17
    Orgasmic rice krispies, they'd have to change the names of the characters. Snap, Crackle and Pop would become something less than wholesome in advertisements haha
  • snemmy
    Offline / Send Message
    snemmy polycounter lvl 18
    do they still make good Rice Crispy treats? that's the true test smile.gif
  • pyromania
    Offline / Send Message
    pyromania polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    do they still make good Rice Crispy treats? that's the true test smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

The ultimate irony. Take nice organic rice krispies and soak them in hydrogenated fat and corn syrup. laugh.gif
  • swampbug
    Offline / Send Message
    Good point slum. I know this product isnt the solution to healthy eating, in some ways its a step. Not for me personally but for regular consumers. I rarely see organic versions of mainstream products.

I dont eat alot of cereal, but i thought id give this one a shot.

UPDATE. I had a bowl of krispies this morning. It sucked. frown.gif

Very mushy. hahahha.
  • sledgy
    Offline / Send Message
    sledgy polycounter lvl 18
    I always had a problem with using the word "organic" to describe food that doesn't have preservatives/pesticides. Of course it's "organic". If it wasn't we wouldn't be able to digest it. Partially hydrogenated oil is also organic. I prefer "unfuckedwith".
  • swampbug
    Offline / Send Message
    Partially hydrogenated oil is not natural sledgy. It will strike you down! :P

Unfkedwith oil = pressed oil. Mechanically squeezed.

http://www.treelight.com/health/nutrition/PartiallyHydrogenatedOils.html

I understand what you mean, if our food wasnt organic in nature, we would all be dead because our faces would be silver from sucking on rocks. haha.
  • ebagg
    Offline / Send Message
    ebagg polycounter lvl 17
    Somehow I doubt making Lucky Charms organic would work! tongue.gif
  • Ruz
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruz polycount lvl 666
    most so called healthy stuff is full of sugar and fat.look at those 'slimfast bars' for one thing
  • oXYnary
    Offline / Send Message
    oXYnary polycounter lvl 18
    Thats sorta the same thing thats happened with organic Ruz. Big corps get involved and change the ideal to allow their stuff without them having to reform their system. I eat http://www.odwalla.com/ myself for health bars (and even then I realize its not perfect).
  • Ruz
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruz polycount lvl 666
    Its odd though, people trust what they are told. its only when you research off you own bat that yuo find these things out. again slimfast have more sugar than most non slimmming stuff. I must say i have a terrible sugar addiction . hard to control
  • swampbug
    Offline / Send Message
    While we're on the subject.. Check this out.

!!(warning, this site is not Work safe)!!
    http://www.frot.co.nz/wheels/coca-cola.htm

I for one was never a big soda pop drinker. However this Anti cocacola site pushed me over the edge and enlightened me to never put my lips or $$$ into pop again.
    ITs been a few years now since I first realized this. Too much of it made sense to me to have continued to drink pop. Besides there are far better things to be drinking than sugar shit water :P

carlos_latuff_coke_kills.jpg
  • KeyserSoze
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]
    !!(warning, this site is not Work safe)!!

[/ QUOTE ]

I didn't read anything on that site, because I'm not in the mood to read right now, but I saw this and am just wondering what the hell Coca-Cola had to do with Kent state confused.gif???

[edit] Okay, I think I've figured it out: the war in Southeast Asia was a form of capitalistic colonialism. The alleged purpose of defeating communism in the region was an obvious ruse, and the true reason for the war was to further the American military-industrial complex and to open new markets to American corporations (i.e. Coca-Cola). Nixon invaded Cambodia to further this agenda (also Coca-Cola's agenda), which caused students to protest at Kent State, which caused the Ohio National Guard to shoot them. Mystery solved laugh.gif. It's like six degrees of Kevin Bacon.
  • AstroZombie
    Offline / Send Message
    AstroZombie polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    Somehow I doubt making Lucky Charms organic would work! tongue.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

It could, but it would cost $20 a box.
  • Joseph Silverman
    Offline / Send Message
    Joseph Silverman polycounter lvl 17
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

3/5 of 'The Dangers of Soda Drinks' are
    Sugar
    Caffeine
    Tap Water

I guess I'm stupid about food and drink, but even with the other two that list doesn't really intimidate me.

That, and I don't drink three sodas a day. laugh.gif
  • swampbug
    Offline / Send Message
    I wish people who drank pop all day because they like the taste and it keeps them awake would reconsider for their long term health.

Many of those types are here at the office because we have 2 soda fountains, and they are free. What a nice temptation. frown.gif
  • noritsune
    Offline / Send Message
    noritsune polycounter lvl 17
    personally I found the images in that (semi-silly) anti coke article to be sensationalist and disrespectful to the original subjects, photographers, and situations. there are better ways to convert people to your cause. Even the dildo photoshopped into the retro ad wasn't funny - it just seemed like immature vandalism of what was originally a pretty cool image with a lot of style.
  • ChaosEidolon
    Offline / Send Message
    ChaosEidolon polycounter lvl 17
    [ QUOTE ]
    I prefer "unfuckedwith".

[/ QUOTE ]

I second that notion. Lets start a petition.

If you wanna be supergeek about it, "organic" is anything that contains carbon. Your pencil lead is organic, so's the gas youre putting in your car, oh and...tires...also organic.

I wouldnt recommend eating those though...not even if a hippie tells you to. cool.gif
  • hawken
    Offline / Send Message
    hawken polycounter lvl 19
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

like sushi and ramen!