Home Contests & Challenges Archives

TF2 - Polypack - Zwebbie (2)

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
Zwebbie polycounter lvl 18
Done! I submitted too late because the Internet was down, so we'll have to see...

tf2heavyshotgun2.jpg

tf2heavyminigun4.jpg

hatpreview.jpg

--- original post ---

I'm still finishing up my Soldier pack a bit, but here's a start on a new one already. We'll see where it ends up.

Also, no roleplaying this time, because it's hard to answer people while still maintaining the character of someone who has no idea what 3D models are.

So:
Class: Heavy
Theme: Black Ops

Sound weird? Allow me to elaborate.
I think Team Fortress 2's art direction has a bit of a downhill slope. Its original assets, in my opinion, are still the most charming. If you look at the vanilla version of the team, you can see from the story behind TF2 a bit. To quote the Meet the Team overview: For any problem lacking an obvious bureaucratic solution, mercenaries like these are contracted to address the situation through a massive application of force. And you can see that reflected by the fact that their clothing and weapons all look like they were issued by the same company. At the same time, these items are tailored to their needs and specialities.
With the updates, this is getting lost a bit. What kind of secret government would hand out Axtinguishers to its mercenaries? Where do ancient swords and shields fit into the '50s and '60s?
A more subtle example is the Scout's bat. It's obvious the Scout is handy with a bat, given his past. The original bat looks like one that's custom made for him, since it looks to be from the same metal as his Pistol, and it had the team logos on it back in Beta. The Sandman looks like any old bat, certainly not the kind of thing that a secret organisation would supply its mercenaries with.
Certainly you can see how most of the hats are even worse. It's like the team went to the most nationalistic flea market to get some typical and outrageous hats to fit with their sober and efficient costumes. Let's not even discuss Max's Severed Head or the Earbuds. In short, I think the team is losing a good deal of its professionality. And since that professionality is their backstory, because they're all mercenaries, jokes are made at the cost of character.

So I want to have this pack look like it's organisation issue professional hardware, just as the original weapons and customes (mostly) were.

That's one part of the story.
The other is the humour.

Take 2Fort. 2Fort is disguised in the middle as an industrial building and a farm. The best name they could come up with for a farm front was Happy Farmers Cooperative. Just outside of the fences are flat, wooden cows to make it look like a real farm. While inside, you find all the classic spy tropes, the intelligence in a briefcase on a desk with a huge chair. Through the windows of the intelligence room, you can see a multitude of computers with at the end of the room a map of the world that doubtlessly describes some plan for world domination. All of that is funny. It's funnier than anything that Saxton Hale ever does.
It's remarkably easy to overlook, but the theme runs throughout; a badly concealed secret base. You'll see huge rockets, radar dishes and ray weapons, flanked by buildings that try to maintain a facade of industry and farming.

So I'm going to experiment a bit with the humour of a well funded, but not too bright secret organisation, adding scopes and silencers to the weapons of a loud and clumsy gorilla, the Heavy.

The Heavy, then, because he is the least subtle of all the classes, but also because he and the Pyro seem to be taking the brunt of the silliness in this competition, which I'd like to try and counterbalance.

Now, you're all expecting some very pretty images after heaving read all that, but I'm going to have to disappoint you.

Testing some ideas for hats. The first is just an exact copy of the Scout's, but I think it looks remarkably good. More later.

tf2heavyhatconcept.jpg

A quick test on a silhouette for a silenced Shotgun. Not sure if I'll even make a silenced shotgun, because a silenced Minigun is also neat.

tf2heavyshotgunconcept.jpg

Replies