Home Unreal Engine

L3DT/World Machine to UE4 ... tutorials?

polycounter lvl 8
Offline / Send Message
Rooster128 polycounter lvl 8
Hey guys. I'm familiar with setting up landscapes in UDK with landscapes, and I realize the process isn't much different in UE4, but do any of you know of any tutorials specifically for UE4?

I swear, with an engine they rebuilt from the ground up, you'd think they would've readdressed this by now. The easiest way to paint was actually back in UE2 when the masks for materials was handled by the terrain tool, not a material.

A material for just one substance - grass, sand, rock, etc. can be pretty complex by itself. You start meshing all of those materials together just to get it rocking properly on a landscape, and that's crazy complicated. Do they really need to use materials to tell the landscape 'grass goes here, sand goes here' ?

I'm not sure exactly what changed between UDK landscapes and UE4 landscapes, but the same setups I used before aren't working now.

Replies

• Fnitrox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fnitrox polycounter lvl 6
    The way ue4 handles materials for landscape is imho a bit stupid since it's really limiting what you can actually do.

They released the landscape showcase in the latest 4.4 update that has quite a complex landscape. It has basically 3 types of material, snow rock and grass.
    The material is made of 3 layers created with a material function and then blended with an other material function.

To me the way the system works is a step back in modularity as even by istancing a master material, the master itself has a hard cap on how many types of terrain you can blend.

Imho they should change it to something like the CE system, where you just add a layer and paint it on...it'd be much easier to work with but I don't know how hard it might be to code.
  • Steppenwolf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Steppenwolf polycounter lvl 15
    I have exactly the same thing giving me a HUGE headache right now. I set it up that WM puts out 7 layers. But that's pretty much a big no no with the 16 texture input limitation. My plan was to just make these 7 layers blend and have it so that level designers can plug in whatever materials they fancy from the library.

But instead looks like you can import maybe 3 or 4 layers only and then have to do an insane amount of material scripting to blend this in a halfway presentable fashion. It's not sufficient. I hope Epic comes up with something better. Even in the landscape demo with this nutty material it only looks good from from a distance. The blending on close up is pretty ugly for the most part.
  • wes.sau
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The 16 texture cap is a DX9 limit. If you look on the UE4 trello roadmap it looks like they plan to bump up DX11 shaders to a 32 texture limit.

Until then, if you can turn off static lighting, you should get back a couple texture samplers. If you use constants for specular/roughness, you get back another texture sampler per layer. If you have an engine programmer and can't wait for Epic, you have them modify the engine to address the 16 texture limit in DX11 mode.

The weightmaps for blending layers with the landscapeLayerBlend material node, also use RGBA. One weightmap texture (that the engine creates) supplies four blend masks. So if you assume that you have all the layers with opacity/weight > 0 across all the landscape components, having only 3 layers means you have one blend just sitting there unused. Along those lines, if you have 5 layers, your inserting an extra weightmap texture sampler just for one layer, you might as well add 3 more layer blends or use normal slope or other blending means instead of hitting that extra weightmap just for one channel.

Also note that the landscape material can have dozens of layers with many samplers, it's the layers actually painted per landscape component that must be under the texture sampler limit, under the hood the engine will make a separate instance for each landscape component with just the layers applied to that section. For example you could have 7, 8, 9, 20, whatever total layers with each having unique Diff, spec, Norm textures, but only apply/paint 4 per component. Even when they increase the cap, you really don't want 9 layers = 20 or so textures sampled in the same pixel space anyway, that would greatly hurt fill-rate performance, and probably affect your texture streaming.
  • Steppenwolf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Steppenwolf polycounter lvl 15
    Thanks for the explanation wes.sau. Didn't know you can add more layers on top that use different inputs. So to summarize: the best workflow from WM then should be 4 layers that go into one RGBA splat map for large scale/backdrop texturing. Layer 0 can use solid white as mask. Should be possible without texture input. So 5 layers from WM in the end. And additional layers for close up/playable area with different inputs. Doesn't sound so bad now.
  • Goobatastic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Goobatastic polycounter lvl 8
    Great post wes.sau. I didnt understand it all but thanks for sharing the knowledge
  • Leech
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Leech polycounter lvl 18
    You can import erosion/flow/etc. maps from WM into UE 4 as weightmaps to tell the engine where to paint your materials initially. You don't have to do that in the material.

On your layer name in the Landscape Paint mode, right click on it and select "Import Weight Map" - select your 16bit greyscale and poof.
  • filthy_sandwich
    I'm a little late to this party but in reply to Leech's post: I tried that and it made a mess of my terrain.

I instead used a splatmap exported from WM and a height layer blend node.

Problem now is that when I try to edit visibility of the terrain, it creates black sections around whatever I edit. I've tried several workarounds to no effect. Looks like using a height blend is a culprit, but it's necessary for my splatmap.
  • alecchalmers
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    alecchalmers polycounter lvl 10
    I've found the landscape editor to be horribly buggy since release. There's a horde of people with collision issues that never got fixed, and until now Rama's victory landscape plugin has helping. I think the latest update may have solved many landscape issues, but on the whole I'd say UE4 is lacking in this department.

Some world machine to UE4 tutorials would be awesome, preferably by Amir Abdaoui, I love his stuff.
  • filthy_sandwich
    Yeah it certainly seems like a lot of people are having issues with landscapes. Hopefully they clean it up a bit in near future versions.

There are a few WM to UE4 tutorials on youtube that have proved helpful