Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Rift: Storm Legion; A Practice in Marmoset

polycounter lvl 6
Offline / Send Message
polaroid29 polycounter lvl 6
Hi all, this is a character I modeled way back in 2013. Found the concept online somewhere and it belongs to Trion, but couldn't find the concept artist's name anywhere. Wanted to learn the game-res process better so this is my first attempt at seeing it the full way through.

Concept here:

NVYzcnV.jpg

Decimated high poly render:

trNKRdT.jpg

Real-time Marmoset Viewer with all the game-res goodies:

https://www.artstation.com/artwork/rift-storm-legion-fan-art

It's split into multiple UV sets for (from what I understand gives me) optimal texture resolution. 2048 for everything.
One UV tile for:
Head,
Body,
Metals,
Leathers,
Extras (horns, teeth)

Approximately 34k tris for the entire character, the rest for the decimated weapon that I got lazy on.

Sculpting in ZBrush/Maya,
Retopo in Topogun,
UV work in Unfold3d/Maya,
Texturing in ZBrush/Ddo/Photoshop,
Rendering in Marmoset

Would really love any comments or critiques, since it's my first time going through the full process. :poly139:

Replies

• polaroid29
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    What're typical things I should be showing, in my portfolio? I have a high poly render, and marmoset viewer which shows all of the maps and topo. Should I include separate renders showing the topology also? And the UV maps?
  • polaroid29
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Here are my color/uv maps for each set:

Head:
    cM68Hdo.jpg

Body:
    5PecSdr.jpg

Metals:
    ZnySqAE.jpg

Leather:
    aTp9goW.jpg

Rocks&Teeth:
    AqQCkJr.jpg
  • polaroid29
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Marmoset render:

TUruIDk.jpg
  • polaroid29
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I should've made a sci-fi corridor instead :P

Here's some topology

ErDJM3K.png
  • heyeye
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    heyeye polycounter lvl 6
    polaroid29 wrote: »
    I should've made a sci-fi corridor instead :P

Here's some topology

ErDJM3K.png

Really nice topo.

My only crits are the greaves material feels a bit over glossed, closer to plastic than a metal. It might just be the render lighting doing that though.

The other thing is giving a transition from the skin to the crystalized formations.

A good example of what I mean: https://www.artstation.com/artwork/crystal-creature

It'll help with making the formations look less 'floaty' on the skin.
  • BradMyers82
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BradMyers82 interpolator
    Hey man, I dig the sculpt but I see a lot of areas it can be improved in terms of texture and materials.
    The only thing I notice with the sculpt is you have a lot of not so nice hard edges on his gear and stuff. It just looks ultra sharp and unrealstic but I think the anatomy looks good in general.
    For the texture and materials, the biggest offense is the stone to skin transition. It literally looks like those stone pieces are just jammed into his skin with no transition at all. If he really had stone like that the skin would be blown out a bit on the edges and there would be some interesting color variation where the skin would get angry from the intersection and so on. He also looks very shiny on the skin and there really isn't a lot of break up in the material across the surfaces. So in general the gloss can be improved a lot and the diffuse could use more color variation along with some general universal tweaking.

Oh and don't make a sci-fi corridor thats lame. :P

edit] looks like heyeye saw the same stuff as me and beat me too it. I think he posted while I was writing this up.