Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Weekly Substance Challenge

Replies

• bradhb3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bradhb3d polycounter lvl 8
    Better late than never! :)

I wanted to add more natural elements and debris, maybe I'll have to revisit this one at some point. I'll try to post some variations as soon as I figure out a good way to present these.

bradford-smith-substance-wood-planks-render-01.jpg

bradford-smith-substance-wood-planks-render-02.jpg

bradford-smith-substance-wood-planks-textures.jpg
  • Tejay
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tejay polycounter lvl 8
    bradhb3d :Very nice, loving that dirty poping through.
  • RobeOmega
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    RobeOmega polycounter lvl 10
    @bradhb3d
    I like it! Maybe the darkness in between the planks is too dark but that can probably be resolved by reducing the AO there.
  • CarlCraft
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CarlCraft polycounter lvl 9
    maatin wrote: »
    @luthyn Thanks for the feedback! I made some changes and tried to get a bit more variation in the roughness
    woodplanks.jpg
    I´m calling this done for now, need to start with the next one!

Here is my .sbs :poly122:

Looking good! :thumbup::\
  • arvinmoses
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    arvinmoses polycounter lvl 13
    Great write-up!
    Thanks for doing this.
    god3ila wrote: »
    Nothing to show this week, I'll be back in the field soon.
    I've made a document talking about shapes generation with Substance Designer, I hope this could help some artists to be more comfortable with shape construction inside of SD.

Here it is, the picture is linked to the file :

SD_Intro.png
  • roboy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    roboy polycounter lvl 11
    here's my, only a week late, wood substance - think I went over the top with the grunge :poly124:

pc_substance_03.jpg
  • luthyn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    luthyn polycounter lvl 8
    @bradhb3d Super sharp :). I love the color variation throughout the wood grain. How are you handling the plank scaling? I've been trying to use the X and Y scaling in the Tile node, but wasn't sure how to keep the Interstice width right as you scale down.

Very excited to see you part of these challenges!
  • bradhb3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks Everyone.

@Robeomega You may be right. The ao might be bit dark. I'm also working on my Marmoset presets too. This is my first test with it. The lighting is pretty crunchy, and the tone curve adds a bit contrast on top.

@luthyn I actually don't use the spacer controls from Tile Random. I use the edge detect, with a bit of filtering and contrast to dial in on just the right scale. This gives me more flexibility for lots of other things too if I don't have to worry about how to handle the gaps coming out of the Tile Random node.
  • RaptorCWS
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    RaptorCWS polycounter lvl 11
    god3ila wrote: »
    Nothing to show this week, I'll be back in the field soon.
    I've made a document talking about shapes generation with Substance Designer, I hope this could help some artists to be more comfortable with shape construction inside of SD.

Here it is, the picture is linked to the file :

SD_Intro.png

Awesome info here god3ila, but I have a question because I always have a problem with blending shapes like you do on page 13 of the pdf. whenever I try to blend the tiles like you have made together. where you have a thin black outline on the tiles and I get this 19938456443_4c8a4bfd4a_b.jpg
  • Limewax
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Limewax polycounter lvl 6
    I know were taking this thread a bit off topic here, but I couldnt help myself when it comes to god3ila's post. I had to try and see if I could mimic it. The only thing I couldn't really understand was the parameter exposing portion where it goes in to making the entire texture tile. I definitely understand the concept, but I think things are a little unclear there. The tutorial is probably for more intermediate users and I think right now I'd consider myself on the teetering edge between beginner and intermediate.

kfSjHRG.jpg

Love the idea of these challenges. I know I can benefit from this, so I'll be grinding out a few more in the coming of days. I'm open to feedback on this guy though!! Much appreciated, all!
  • Limewax
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Limewax polycounter lvl 6
    RaptorCWS wrote: »
    Awesome info here god3ila, but I have a question because I always have a problem with blending shapes like you do on page 13 of the pdf. whenever I try to blend the tiles like you have made together. where you have a thin black outline on the tiles and I get this

To me this looks like you need to play around with the initial square size. The tutorial doesnt make this super clear and it gives you a broad overview, but thats how I was able to figure it out (by playing with all the handles for U&V spacing/tiling/offsets).
  • Tejay
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tejay polycounter lvl 8
    Onwards and upwards. Another challenge for another week. Continue posting anything late! And may you computer not implode like mine did this week.
  • RobeOmega
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    RobeOmega polycounter lvl 10
    Did this many days ago but forgot to post it. Personally I did not think I did well this week and spent my time on another personal substance.

VPVWEm9.jpg
  • tigerheart
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tigerheart polycounter lvl 9
    I'm late on this one, but here is the fabric challenge :
    fabric.png
    fabric2.png

et le SBS
  • bradhb3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Did a few quick variations with the wood planks generator. Working on fabric now!

bradford-smith-substance-wood-planks-variation-01.jpg

bradford-smith-substance-wood-planks-variation-02.jpg

bradford-smith-substance-wood-planks-variation-03.jpg
  • Tejay
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tejay polycounter lvl 8
    Bradhb3d: Holy dam that's some fine wood!
  • rogelio
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rogelio greentooth
    that last one is nice! Oh Brad it is you :D that makes sense :)
  • bradhb3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks Tejay. Hi Ro!

Got a first pass done on the fabric. I wish I had more time to do some sweet FX map stuff. I can't really get exactly what I want with the composting graph alone, but I'll stick with this for now.

bradford-smith-substance-fabric-01-render-01.jpg

I managed to get a decent start on a thread pattern utility anyway.

bradford-smith-substance-fabric-01-threads.jpg
  • luthyn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    luthyn polycounter lvl 8
    Looking slick Brad! That last one is intense! :)
  • Tejay
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tejay polycounter lvl 8
    Lol dam it brad go away :P you're making us all look bad! Back to square one with my fabric cause I dont want to be shown up!
  • eedobaba7726
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eedobaba7726 polycounter lvl 9
    A little late, but I tried making the wood floor.

0lbmuLw.jpg
  • god3ila
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    god3ila polycounter lvl 10
    Thanks for your feedbacks!

@Limewax : I really appreciate that you took the time to redo this little tutorial, the result is pretty good ! :)
    I know that the 'tiling exposing' part is a bit short, but as I was writing this, I was telling myself that I could not go too far into the Substance functions and that I'd better do another .pdf, because it's a very huge topic. That's why I choose to mention at the beginning that it's more of an intermediate tutorial, if you got any specific question about it, feel free to PM me and I'll be glad to answer.

@RaptorCWS: I guess @Limewax is right, it's all about tweaking the size of your shapes to make them fit. If you're stuck you can send me your .sbs file and I'll check it out.
  • Tejay
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tejay polycounter lvl 8
    I went all out on my alterations for the fabric. Thought i'd link a pic to all the parameters as well. I went all out and made it so you could even change the wetness or mud to cover part or all of the texture. Substance can be downloaded here.
    Substancechallengeweek4_.jpgFabric_input.jpg
  • tigerheart
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Following Tejay and bradhb3d i had to make some adjustment:
    fabric4.png
    and the basic utility pattern I made:
    fabric3.png
    fabric5.png

The pattern have a few variable such as the number of thread and the tiling.
  • bradhb3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Tejay, can I stay please?! I just got here! :poly121:

I think I'll call it quits on this one for now. I'm ready for some sand!

Did some basic fiber variations on top of crumpled seams and folds; added support for a simple stitched seam and did a basic wetness control.

bradford-smith-substance-fabric-01-render-02.jpg

bradford-smith-substance-fabric-01-variations.jpg

bradford-smith-substance-fabric-01-textures.jpg

bradford-smith-substance-fabric-01-wettening.gif
  • LTS3D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    LTS3D polycounter lvl 5
    @bradhb3d: Cloth looks sick! My only issue is that the tiling on the height map looks more like a seam to me than it tiling properly.

3j4CUkC.jpg
    OVSEMpt.jpg
    QvA6Qgy.jpg

Late to the party here so I thought I'd start with the first challenge. I'm about 1.5 hours in for this Substance. Any suggestions?
  • luthyn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    luthyn polycounter lvl 8
    @bradhb3d, how much influence do you usually let the fabric wrinkles and folds have? Say if you were mixing this with bake information, would you still want the Substance material to add details like that? Or just let it be a parameter that you could adjust the intensity on?

Also, does the color of the wet fabric change based off of the base color of the rest of the fabric?

And as always, fantastic to see your stuff! Keep it up! :D
  • bradhb3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @luthyn, It depends really. Organic, overlapping, complex folds I would of course simulate or sculpt.. but superficial creases or folds I would probably do in Substance like I did above. I would of course have specialized utility nodes like this tiling seam (made from both a fold utility and a stitch utility bashed togeter)

bradford-smith-substance-fabric-01-seam-detail.jpg

The wetness is based on a couple things right now, base color one of them. I'm going to try to improve the dynamic wetness on the sand challenge if I have time.

This quick Substance viewport grab actually shows the material response better than my toolbag lighting setup.
    bradford-smith-substance-fabric-01-wet-red.jpg
  • luthyn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    luthyn polycounter lvl 8
    @bradhb3d very very cool :). Thanks for the insight.
  • Tejay
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tejay polycounter lvl 8
    tigherheart: the thread was tricky for sure but try to add a gradient to threads as the lower to make it feel more like a dip. Otherwise looking sharp.

Bradhb3d
    : course you can stay mate :P You should share your secrets to me as payment though ;) i want to learn from them mad skills.
  • tigerheart
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the advice Tejay, 5hour later, it becomes this (strangely looking better with les complex graph ):
    fabric6.png
  • rogelio
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rogelio greentooth
    Stuff looking awesome :)

The only stuff that could add an extra push to the fiber stuff is something like this. adding some slight randomness and micro imperfections. Not that I have done it myself just suggesting to see who takes it further :D

I need to get into this myself :)2080071-knitting-close-up-from-blue-woven-thread.jpg
  • MattyWS
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MattyWS polycounter lvl 11
    Is it cheating if I was already working on a sand texture in SD and use that as my base?

434958_1985c4752cdf48c18e9d3d53f2ff1cea.png_srz_p_948_662_75_22_0.50_1.20_0.00_png_srz
  • eedobaba7726
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Made a dirty beach sand with puddles controlled by a parameter.

U5Pg71z.jpg

iwR7icy.jpg
  • bradhb3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Tejay, that sounds like a fair trade! I'm actually trying to figure out how to get more info out there. I'm currently building lots of utility nodes at home, so unfortunately screen shots of my graphs won't show many stock nodes. I'll keep my eye out though for little tips though!

@eedobaba7726, Looking good! If I may, the low frequency forms feel like they drop off a bit too soon. If more of the terrain was varying across longer low frequency waves, that would just set this off! It looks like your wet sand could stand to get a bit darker too.

Home sick tonight, but I managed to get a quick first pass on my sand base. I'm excited for this one!

bradford-smith-substance-sand-01-wip-01.jpg
  • Jerc
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jerc interpolator
    You guys are killing it on the sand!
  • Tejay
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tejay polycounter lvl 8
    Where are all these awesome pros coming from?! I need to up my game even harder somehow!

Bradhb3d
    : I dont know about everyone but i've learnt a lot from being able to disect other peoples substance files but wips and just showing progress like those fabric threads were enough to spark new ideas.

eebdobaba7726: :poly101: that is just....too much awesome.

MattyWS: Go ahead if you want. I'm sure you can push it even further!
  • 3DKyle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    3DKyle interpolator
    @bradhb3d - Damn man! Is that all in Substance? That's pretty crazy.
    Think I need to get started on this today.
  • Kazperstan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kazperstan greentooth
    Made a dirty beach sand with puddles controlled by a parameter.

Nice detail! I want to run all over it in bare feet..then cry because they got cut up from those stones. It works really well in macro, can we see it from like an average height?
  • luthyn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    luthyn polycounter lvl 8
    A bit late, but heres my rendition of the wood:

xIzx3dF.png

5XRWfgI.png

Can always use more love, but I'm excited to shift over to sand. Quite a bit to live up to already haha :).
  • Bruno Afonseca
    Hi everyone! You guys are doing an amazing job.
    I've done a tiling wood texture previously, I hope you don't mind me sharing it here:
    sd_material_12.jpg
    I'll try to join this if I get a break :)
  • luthyn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    luthyn polycounter lvl 8
    Hey @bruno good to see you back :) I hope you have time to join!
  • bradhb3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @3DKyle, Yup! 100% Substance Designer.

Got a pass done on my Wavy Sand Base Forms Generator. Also starting to playing around with Toolbag's sweet, sweet light scattering features.

Still need some high frequency sand clump details, and to make rocks and twigs

Here's a few renders the Wavy Sand with various settings..
    bradford-smith-substance-sand-01-wip-02-a.jpg
    bradford-smith-substance-sand-01-wip-02-b.jpg
    bradford-smith-substance-sand-01-wip-02-c.jpg
  • Stavaas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Stavaas polycounter lvl 3
    Wow that sand looks fantastic! Is there any chance you could share your file? Would love to go through it and see how you made this!
  • MattyWS
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MattyWS polycounter lvl 11
    bradhb3d wrote: »
    @3DKyle, Yup! 100% Substance Designer.

Got a pass done on my Wavy Sand Base Forms Generator. Also starting to playing around with Toolbag's sweet, sweet light scattering features.

Still need some high frequency sand clump details, and to make rocks and twigs

Here's a few renders the Wavy Sand with various settings..
    bradford-smith-substance-sand-01-wip-02-a.jpg
    bradford-smith-substance-sand-01-wip-02-b.jpg
    bradford-smith-substance-sand-01-wip-02-c.jpg

I need to get Marmoset. :( I tried to get that slight specular on the odd grain of sand in my texture but the Substance Designer viewport doesn't show it very clearly, You seem to have that look that I was going for in that regard. I love how fluffy your sand looks too! Are you going by any reference? I can't think of any instance where sand would form that way. :)
  • Tzur_H
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tzur_H polycounter lvl 9
    Wow bradhb3d, your substances are awesome!

I'd love to know how you go about creating the height for displacement. You're getting so much range and variation :thumbup:
  • Justo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justo polycounter
    I didn't know this existed, now I need to be in it and start texturing...As soon as I finish what I'm doing, this noob will enter.
  • jorymos
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jorymos polycounter lvl 10
    @bradhb3d awesome as always and inspiring :)
  • bradhb3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @MattyWS, I'm starting to love Marmoset. I've been very late to adopt, and while it may not be perfect, I'm finding that it's very flexible and fast. I love it. As far as reference goes... I guess I'm just used to riffing off the reference provided, and doing whatever I think it visually interesting. I'm just having fun with form and rhythm.

@Stavaas, That will actually be tough since I'm creating and using lots of my own nodes.. so I have a deep network of dependencies. However, I'll be working on some mini tuts and examples as I go along in the challenges. There might be some more in-depth videos in the future too if I can carve out the time :poly121:

@Tzur_H, While I do have some tricks and some nodes that I've made for certain effects.. the most important thing is good breakdown of form. I Substance like I sculpt. I isolate, abstract and combine multiple frequencies of forms. This way, some things are flexible and interchangeable as well.

Example breakdown and combination of forms

bradford-smith-substance-sand-01-wip-layer-breakdown.gif

@jorymos, thanks!
  • eedobaba7726
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bradhb3d wrote: »
    @MattyWS, I'm starting to love Marmoset. I've been very late to adopt, and while it may not be perfect, I'm finding that it's very flexible and fast. I love it. As far as reference goes... I guess I'm just used to riffing off the reference provided, and doing whatever I think it visually interesting. I'm just having fun with form and rhythm.

@Stavaas, That will actually be tough since I'm creating and using lots of my own nodes.. so I have a deep network of dependencies. However, I'll be working on some mini tuts and examples as I go along in the challenges. There might be some more in-depth videos in the future too if I can carve out the time :poly121:

@Tzur_H, While I do have some tricks and some nodes that I've made for certain effects.. the most important thing is good breakdown of form. I Substance like I sculpt. I isolate, abstract and combine multiple frequencies of forms. This way, some things are flexible and interchangeable as well.

Example breakdown and combination of forms

bradford-smith-substance-sand-01-wip-layer-breakdown.gif

@jorymos, thanks!

What kind of noise generation are you using for the wavy lined pattern in the primary forms?