Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Sephiroth

polycounter lvl 9
Offline / Send Message
Salem Gamorrah polycounter lvl 9
hello! I'm beginning a new project to enter into the Retrogasm competition, rub by Hazardous and his associates.

I have chosen to create Sephiroth, one of my all time favorite characters from one of my favorite games.

Presenting...

ffviiacc_sephiroth_by_naughtyboy83_zpszlcrjfmb.jpg

I would love to have constant feedback as I'm going so that I can create the best possible fanart I can!

I have already made a little bit of progress, and I'll post that shortly. Hopefully someone will show some interest!

For now, here's the blob of clay I started with.

zs_zpsc2u9hkmp.jpg

Replies

• Salem Gamorrah
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Well, here is my progress as of yet. I'm still blocking out the main, basic forms. The most important thing to me right now is to get his face SPOT ON, but it's very difficult. Every iteration of CG Sephiroth is slightly different, so I'm trying to find my own blend that works. I'm also trying very hard to get his creepy smile perfect!

Please let me know what you would change so far to make him more Sephirothy!
    I provided a crappy paintover of the hair and eyebrows as it makes the translation easier.

s%20comparison_zps7oaodsdk.png
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    hey man, looking good so far.

Sephiroth is by far my favorite villain, i've even made him uh... a couple of times haha.

My biggest feedback right now is the shape of the body. He's very effeminate, not a "powerhouse" type guy, so i'd go with a more "trunk" like shape rather than the almost V shape the body has right now. His bulky shape is made up from his outfit and shoulder pads.

In terms of more nitpicky stuff, the neck area looks really unnatural, traps don't really curve the way his are. You're also missing or misrepresenting some of the major abdominal muscles, like the external obliques which are a very large flat muscle:

4850053983_d822dee80d_o_d.jpg

don't fuck this up, or i'll be pissed.
  • Salem Gamorrah
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks a lot for the reply! I've seen your Sephiroth thread actually, I would really appreciate it if you would keep helping me out, but no pressure!
    I'm not very experienced but I'm going to do my very best.

I'm actually just working on the face really, I just quickly gave him a torso based on this. I have a hell of a lot of anatomical stuff to fix, but really, It's his coat I'm scared of!

Thanks for the reply.:)

sephiroth_by_lonelymiracle-d33sqg4_zpsvjmeqsra.png
  • Salem Gamorrah
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hey man, looking good so far.

Sephiroth is by far my favorite villain, i've even made him uh... a couple of times haha.

My biggest feedback right now is the shape of the body. He's very effeminate, not a "powerhouse" type guy, so i'd go with a more "trunk" like shape rather than the almost V shape the body has right now. His bulky shape is made up from his outfit and shoulder pads.

In terms of more nitpicky stuff, the neck area looks really unnatural, traps don't really curve the way his are. You're also missing or misrepresenting some of the major abdominal muscles, like the external obliques which are a very large flat muscle:

don't fuck this up, or i'll be pissed.

Hey, I did some quick work on it, is this a bit better? Also, what do you think of the face so far?

z_zps1edhqatu.jpg
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    2AdirWH.jpg

This is what i had in mind about the body proportions. You still need to soften a lot of stuff out (in my opinion), Sephiroth is clearly very fit, i'd say "peak", but he's not a beefcake.

As for the face, i think the eyes are a little too high up and too far apart. i'd also give him a "flatter" expression on his mouth for now. nailing the eye shape is super important for this guy, he basically needs big pretty girl eyes :P
  • DavidCruz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DavidCruz interpolator
    hello! I'm beginning a new project to enter into the Retrogasm competition, rub by Hazardous and his associates.

Whats this comp? on fakebook?

Also agree with proportion comments.
  • Salem Gamorrah
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The competition is on Facebook, It's called RetroGasm. You'll need to be accepted by it's admins.

I narrowed him out a lot as suggested, and I think you're right, it looks a lot better. I feel he does still need to have shoulders though. Every topless version of him does, and he looks very strange with almost sunken shoulders, we will see how it looks when more assets start coming together.. I made some small changes to the face. I moved the eyes together as suggested. Also, although his chin is not as pointy in his art as everyone seems to think it is, I did make it a little more point and angular, without sharp edges.

z3_zpskq0yktls.png
  • Salem Gamorrah
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Just a small update for the very few who are interested in this project! I'm working very slowly towards my deadline on the last day of October...

I spent so long fixing and then breaking his face, I ended up adding a placeholder playdough hair so I could better 'see' his face.

I'm still working on the anatomy and details and such but,I would love some feedback on his face and the proportions so far, thanks!

Suspenders_zps0zkeqkzn.png
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    a tip:
    at the very least, model the arms in an A pose, i feel a T pose here would actually be worthwhile. Not sure how far you're planning to go with posing/animation or whatever, but remember that his idle-battle posture is this:
    latest?cb=20131129031012

So his arms would be better suited at a higher angle. Granted, his jacket/shoulder pads would hide a lot of issues, but this is a "good practice" kind of thing.

http://crazyferretstudios.com/portfolio/hidden/viewer/ArmRef.html

here's some reference from a 3d scan, pay attention to bicep shape. sorry about the hard lines in places... my bad, polygroups.
  • KingKellogg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KingKellogg polycounter lvl 6
    Man I wish I had Zbrush T_T

I just recently got to work on cloud again, hard to get back in the groove. The dang textures/normal maps are what get me..

Keep it up though! I want to see this one finished :D