Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

AK-12

beanster
polycounter lvl 2
Offline / Send Message
beanster polycounter lvl 2
Hey guys, wanted to share my AK12 in progress, making the highpoly right now.

With the project I wanted to focus on achieving a good replica of the reference and improve my very little skill in presentation.

Found a good amount of reference photos but not as much as I would have liked due to the newness of the gun making some angles hard to find (compared to say an ak47) went off with stealing some ak47 stuff if I couldn't find anything. Some parts may be off to the true gun.

Some renders of the highpoly parts of the gun so far taken in blender. Personally I think the lighting isn't all too good and would like to improve, anyone has got some tips for a nice setup I would appreciate it (right now just using HDRI)
BlSudgH.jpg
yHJ8kwV.jpg
bL3HHOG.jpg
Viewport render
97210835fdfd3577f7f4217e578436b0.png
6c52ae8071eac691f81c7d2e84b5a965.png

I'm planning on bringing this to a low poly game ready model with PBR in mind.

Any comments and feedback with what can be improved and the lot are greatly appreciated. Also ideas for maybe giving the gun some character would be awesome.

Cheers :)

Replies

• MediumSolid
    Offline / Send Message
    MediumSolid polycounter lvl 8
    Nice model, too bad we didn't get to see any of the edge flows. Might I ask how much did it took you to model this? Looks really professional.
  • beanster
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the reply :)
    By edgeflow you mean wireframe or the rendering? I do think that I need to showoff the edges more with my rendering which I hope to do in my next rendering after I've finished the high poly, only have a few parts left.
  • redux
    Nice weapon, have you modeled both sides?
    Try a three-point lighting setup. Its hard to get a studio lighting with only a hdri.
  • beanster
    Offline / Send Message
    redux wrote: »
    Nice weapon, have you modeled both sides?
    Try a three-point lighting setup. Its hard to get a studio lighting with only a hdri.

Yes both sides are modelled but the ak12 is designed to be ampidextrous so both sides are very simillar mainly the stock and lower reciever have the most differences of either side.

I was planning to do 3 point light setup :) was doing some research about it before and I thought it would be the best option to go with.
  • redux
    It dosent have to be 3 lights, you can throw in as many as you like. Get a nice rim to separate it from the background, then play around with highlights and shadows. You can also experiment with hot and cold. Im not an expert, i struggle with this myself.
  • beanster
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey guys some new rendering and high poly stuff.
    iLOidbQ.png
    ji7KGE2.png

I know they're a bit nois, my laptop I have isnt all too powerful and I didnt want to spend 30+ minute rendering :)

Some notes. For whatever reason some parts didnt have sub-d applied in the first image so they can be a bit blocky, i.e. upper reciever, barrel. Maybe some others.

The lighting setup I think is a lot better than previous renders, although of course a lot of improvement can be done. I'll tinker around for the final render.
  • beanster
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey guys, new update. High poly is done. Got some renders and stuff, bit noisy though :O
    oz3sluK.jpg
    p8nX1tH.png
    4IjO4s2.png

Been trying to improve my rendering and compositing in photoshop to get some better images, any thoughts of improvements I can do? I think it's much improved from the first iteration but there is always room for improvement.
    Also which material is better for a complete final render the first of second one? Might spend some time tommorow rendering images out completely with no noise.
  • beanster
    Offline / Send Message
    Final proper render here.
    JM7Vhc9.jpg

Thoughts?