Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Borderland Style Female Char

polycounter lvl 7
Offline / Send Message
zbyszko polycounter lvl 7
A Borderland Style Female Character i done after 2 months of work to my Portfolio

borderlands_style_char_by_bosman697-d978iod.jpg
HiPoly
hipoly_by_bosman697-d978jsy.jpg
Wireframe
wireframe_by_bosman697-d978jry.jpg
Skechfab
[SKETCHFAB]dd6f391d3c134339a0a307e614fca78b[/SKETCHFAB]

Replies

• jfitch
    Offline / Send Message
    jfitch polycounter lvl 5
    This is really impressive, nice work! Is she a borderlands hero character? If so what would her skill tree look like? Whats her special skill? Some of that can be important when you're developing the look and feel for the character. While the texture work and modeling is very impressive, and emulates the style well, I'd like to see a little more "character" to the character if you get what I mean.
  • jose.fuentes
    Offline / Send Message
    jose.fuentes interpolator
    looking good!

The freckles are a bit to dark, I would lighten up a bit
  • MingoXMX
    Offline / Send Message
    MingoXMX vertex
    Beautiful job!
  • RocketBryan
    Offline / Send Message
    RocketBryan polycount sponsor
    Awesome job, mate! I'm a huge fan of the Borderlands aesthetic and this is a great example of executing the style properly, which is obviously an absolute must in tribute-projects like this.

I'm going to double up a bit on what jfitch mentioned too - your girl here definitely looks like she belongs on Pandora, but currently no more than just an NPC as she's lacking a bit of that personality that just oozes from the game's playable cast of misfits. Does she hunt skags? Show it! Does she work on the vehicles with Scooter? Show it! Maybe she's a "space trucker" that smuggles guns for Marcus? Show it. Give her grease stains, scars, props, badges, trophies, tools, etc. that communicate who she is and what she does. Let her tell us what she's all about.

The second thing I'd recommend revisiting is your texturing style/results. You've certainly captured the emphasized line-work quality of the Borderlands signature style, but I think you need to carve out a bit more work on the color choices, value, and textural feel of the models you're applying it to. For example, if you take a look at the character reference from the various games, they tend carry a lot more of a gritty AO into the diffuse texture itself to highlight and exaggerate the break-up in the forms and shadows (fabric folds, body features, overlapping objects). That helps push the contrast as well as giving natural boundaries to add line-work on top of. Some of that shadowing in Borderlands is in fact helped out by their normal maps usage, a feature a lot of artists miss when emulating the style because so much of it looks like diffuse-only texturing. It's perfectly fine to go diffuse-only, but you'll need to make up for your lack of normals by adding that lighting and shadow information into the AO. It also seem like an awful waste to have such a nice hi-poly sculpt like yours and then not use it. ;)

Additionally, Borderlands character models have quite a bit more color variation in their textures than what you have in your current color palette. Just in Salvador's shirt alone you can see deep orange-reds, bright yellows in the highlights, and varying brown stains and oranges all throughout. Maya's top (the yellow sections) have oranges, yellows, browns, and even some greens that help break up and add visual interest in those large blocks of color. Some of those color shifts are employed in specific locations, such as emphasizing creases and shadows, but they also usually carry some form of gradient from dark to light across the whole element that draws the eye across the entire character.

original.jpg

Anyway, just some stuff to think about. I've tried my hand at the BL style before, so I'm always happy to share what I learned during my own process too.
  • zbyszko
    Offline / Send Message
    zbyszko polycounter lvl 7
    @Rocket Brian
    w8i6ho2.gif
    Now i see this, that Borderlands character models have more color variation in their textures.
    I only noticed that all characters have split complementary colors so i use this Palette

pallete

Next time i will use your advice.

Thanks For Reply.
  • MadaraZero
    Looks awsome,big fan of borderlands style !