Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Aug Bar from Hell

AtomicArmy
polycounter lvl 10
Offline / Send Message
AtomicArmy polycounter lvl 10
Hi Polycount! I'm currently working on the Steyr Aug Bar except one that is from Hell (inspired by Ghost Rider). This is a work in progress, I'm still aiming to a scope, chains, bi-pod, and other additions. Hope you enjoy so far! C&C is welcome!

Updated Version:

2hscbcl.jpg

2vjyjw0.jpg

Start off Version:

2uhsooz.png

b7glfc.png

2u6och1.png

b7e7fs.png

21o6n49.png

Replies

• Brian "Panda" Choi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Brian "Panda" Choi high dynamic range
    Right now, while I can see the Hell theme surrounding the gun, I feel like there's a LOT more creative design you can push onto it besides skills, dents, and veins.

Just off the top of my head, the more creative but still traditionally Western European conceptions of Hell by artists have been from painters like Wayne Barlowe (in the God's Demon series), or Dante's Inferno from EA.

It's a good start, but there's definitely some space for more interesting designs. Like does holding the gun at the grips have to be comfortable? What if it's something that's disquieting to hold. Or perhaps the butt of the gun is slimy and unnerving. Perhaps the whole gun itself is alive in a way?

HELL-1440x564_c.jpg
  • EpicBeardMan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    EpicBeardMan polycounter lvl 8
    Good start, I like the fact you want to make a gun with a "character". But, as Brian said, there's much more space for getting in some nice designs onto a gun.
    Keep the work flowin'.

Cheers!
  • AtomicArmy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Okay, I went back and added more to the gun. I'm kinda going for a Rodin theme and I took your suggestion by adding slim to make it look alive. Anyways here is what I have so far. Let me know what you guys think. I haven't baked the model yet, I've just rendered the highpoly.

2yxk96s.png
  • AtomicArmy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Update: Fixed some areas on the sculpt and preparing to model the scope of the gun.

2u7bz9j.png
  • semajnothing
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Its a decent start. Might I suggest taking influence from Warhammer 40k Chaos Space marine weapons, as they have the same theme. At the moment, to me, it looks a little messy. Try defining some of the major forms of the gun. For example, the things wrapped around the stock of the gun. Are those intestines?

warhammer__40k_csm_bolt_pistol_by_bigreek-d49tbi6.jpg
  • JoshWilkinson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JoshWilkinson polycounter lvl 9
    It's a fun theme but I'm concerned with some of the execution. I can't tell if the gun went to hell, was melted and some wart-like hell artifacts started growing on it? Looking at semaj's reference, it looks like the hell pieces are growing on certain parts of the gun that really seem to follow the shapes. It's reads better with everything the gun being hard surface and the hell being organic, like two very differently designed aesthetics working together.

Your gun has the AUG silhouette but doesn't appear to have the two different aesthetics working together in a logical manner.
  • AtomicArmy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thank you for the feedback guys! What parts of the gun don't look right? What seems to be throwing the whole gun off? What could I do to fix it?
  • Kid.in.the.Dark
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kid.in.the.Dark polycounter lvl 6
    Really nice approach to this so far,

I feel like you've got so much more to incorporate from what you currently have... since you've already gone along the lines of skulls and hell why not use the whole spectrum of the theme? like maybe use different bone parts to make up for places like the back of the guns etc...

Some useful reference images would definitely be the Crota Guns in Destiny since most of them are very bone like.

Destiny_14215167318196.jpg
    destiny.jpg?w=720
    484.jpg?1439322505
    maxresdefault.jpg
    Destiny_14215167315763.jpg

Keep going (Y)
  • JoshWilkinson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JoshWilkinson polycounter lvl 9
    Sorry in advance for my lack of bedside manner, I'm a pretty blunt critic. But don't take it as disrespect or discouragement.

NLXUhgk.jpg

fCtPbKb.jpg

My main complaint is that most of your hell forms don't seem to make any sense. All the guns Kid cited have a shape language applied to them that copmliments the shapes of the original gun. You seem to have tape, vines, veins, heads, intestines and blobs tacked on everywhere. And because you sculpted right onto the gun it looks like they came from the same mold. I'd much rather see the shapes have a particular style that works with the gun. The AUG, by default, is mostly one large piece of plastic. Hard edges with large, flat shapes from hell or stone or whatever material would compliment the AUG nicely, like nearly all of Kid's references.
  • AtomicArmy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thank you for the help! I greatly appreciate it! I will take these images and most definitely use them for reference. :) Sorry if my piece is lacking, I'm still new to all of this. XD
  • AtomicArmy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Okay, I went back and pretty much did the whole thing over and added a lot of muscle and slim to the gun. I pretty much going for a metal and organic type hell gun. Let me know what you guys think of it!

25knebr.jpg
  • AtomicArmy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Update: Went ahead and create the Thor Thermal Scope Hell theme. C&C are welcome!

28jb94z.jpg

bge8wg.jpg

2u8idjn.jpg
  • Uberren
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Uberren polycounter lvl 11
    While it looks somewhat better, I'm a bit confused if the gun is growing these parts or if the parts grew on top of a regular AUG. The way you have it sculpted currently makes it look like it was either made from these organic things or that the organic bits are morphed right into the gun itself, which looks kind of odd to me.

Having these growths be separate to the gun and growing to match the form would look much better, as was mentioned before with the chaos space marine gun.
  • AtomicArmy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Okay, I went back and separated the growth on the gun. I plan on adding more detail to it, I just want to make sure I'm on the right track. Also, thank you for helping me guys I appreciate it. :)

30dcsgl.jpg
  • AtomicArmy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Update: Getting ready to remesh and unwrapp. I also plan on adding slime to the barrel.

2hscbcl.jpg

2vjyjw0.jpg