Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Texturing pipeline question

Okay, I modeled a high res mesh in ZB, I then exported this and did a retopo. I then created a normal map; however, how do I now paint the model with the normal maps?

If I have to work on the high res again in Zbrush to polypaint it, how do I export the polypaint?

Thanks

Replies

• jacob thomas
    Offline / Send Message
    jacob thomas polycounter lvl 9
    If your high poly in zbrush already has uvs polypaint it then go to Tool/UV map to set your texture size then Tool/Texture Map/Create/New from Polypaint.

Then in your Textures palette select the new texture node and export it.
    It will be upside down, you can either flip it in Zbrush using Flip V (also in the Textures palette) or do it in Photoshop.

If it doesn't have uvs export the high and bake vertex colours using Xnormal.
  • kanga
    Offline / Send Message
    kanga quad damage
    jstyles3d is right. Your lowpoly should have uvs. Paint the highpoly in zbrush and export the mesh with colorized active (under polypaint) then point xnormal to your high poly and lowpoly and bake any maps you want. I use max to retopo my characters so I have a decimated version of the highpoly in max. I build my lowpoly cage over it and then use a projection modifier on the lowpoly, referencing the decimated hipoly then export the lowpoly via xnormal exporter with cage (projection) checked. That gives me the best results.
  • Grubber
    Offline / Send Message
    Grubber polycounter lvl 14
    Hey,
    I just wanted to add if you will be transferring the base texture using Xnormal, do not forget to untick "Ignore per-vertex-color" on the highpoly mesh.
  • DataDragon
    PolyCount is awesome. I ended up exporting the high res with colorize on; then in xNormal, I baked out the vertex colour. Really easy. So thanks everyone for the pinpoint advice :)