Home Unreal Engine

Grass 4.8 Questions

polycounter lvl 8
Offline / Send Message
maximumsproductions polycounter lvl 8
So I've been learning UE4 the last few days and I've come to the point of foliage

1) Is this about the what your average AAA grass should look like in UE4 ( 4.8 )?
2) What is it missing?

From Cryengine it felt like I could achieve great results fairly easily..
The grass in Cry would feel much more flourished and dense naturally, I think due to the self shadowing. In UE4 I can't seem to get that effect after playing around with a couple different grass assets and different ways of painting them and their materials and mesh, they all feel kind of flat.

---I was wondering where I could be pointed in the right direction here to get a more dense grass look in terms of volume.

Because I can't tell if it's the lighting holding back the shadows or not having a good custom shader created for grass and the such, or if it's just not having a setting toggled on.

2u59g6f.jpg

And here's another with a different asset
mvi693.png

and then there's this quality grass to compare.
http://maxwell3d.net/2015/05/realtime-dynamic-ue4-grass-shader/

Replies

• LMP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    LMP polycounter lvl 13
    Have you tried using the two sided foliage shader for the material, and tried using Distance Field AO and GI?
  • maximumsproductions
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thank you! So, yeah was doing two sided foliage shader on the 2nd asset but I guess it wasn't dense enough? but the 1st image is from Unreal's Environment asset package and the shader was set to Subsurface. Which is curious.

But the Distance Field AO and GI documentation kind of put me on a new path to learn about a few other potential parameters related to shadows, so thank you :)!

-First image uses Distance Field AO and Ray Traced Distance Field Soft Shadows

-Second image uses standard skylight and direct light. Only difference is created more grass dense clumps.

2pybx9d.png
    idt4io.png
  • leleuxart
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    leleuxart polycounter lvl 10
    I think it depends on what you're going for. I don't know of any game right now that has grass that dense with that far of a view distance as the first image.

If you want something that dense, I'd mimic their grass cards and go for something denser in the texture with thinner blades. But what you have seems more reasonable for games, as far as the texture goes. I'd just adjust the colors to be less saturated and slightly more green.

As far as DFAO goes, I think it can help a lot with making foliage looking more dense. It can separate clumps and fill in some of the gaps usually seen in real-time grass cards. I think Crytek used SSDO with their physicalized grass blades in Crysis 3.
  • maximumsproductions
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks! That's awesome information to apply and know :)