Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[Portfolio] – Alexis Bogue/Tigerfeet

I feel a bit like I'm trying to panhandle, putting my portfolio up for critique while still being so new to the community, so thank you ahead of time to anyone who decides to chime in.

I'm currently working as a professional artist, but not in games. I'd like to change that.

I'm looking for:
• Critique on the site itself, layout, colors, sections, content pieces. I'm limited by wordpress's default themes and I haven't found a gallery-type one that I'm completely happy with yet.
• Critique on the individual artworks. What you see is the best of what I've got with one exception: How appropriate is it to put fan art in a portfolio? You can probably tell that I've already got some in there, but this piece I think is much more obvious and I'm not sure it would be appropriate to include.

Thank you again for your time. I'm very much looking forward to being active in this community. :)

Augh, Portfolio is here: http://alexisbogue.wordpress.com

Replies

• SanderDL
    Offline / Send Message
    SanderDL polycounter lvl 7
    Hey man

There is no link to your portfolio in your post. Posting your work here while new is probably fine. The one piece you've linked looks pretty good.
  • BrontoThunder
    Offline / Send Message
    BrontoThunder polycounter lvl 13
    Posting a link to your portfolio is usually a good start.
  • Tigerfeet
    Ach! Thanks guys. Being in a hurry is never a good idea.
  • SanderDL
    Offline / Send Message
    SanderDL polycounter lvl 7
    If you want to get a job in game industry it's important to specialize in something. The first thing I think you should do is look around and find out what kind of job you want. I think your concepts are your strongest work.

This makes me come to the next point. Your best works should come first. So the first thing someone should see are probably your concept pieces. I don't really get why you have different pages anyway because I think you could easily put everything on the frontpage. Making it easier to acces your work.
  • dpadam450
    Offline / Send Message
    dpadam450 polycounter lvl 9
    Not going to sugar coat: you don't have much on there and you are a long ways off, but you should probably know that. You have 1 3D model that isn't that great, so what should we say. We need more 3D to look at to even consider tellin you if its good or bad. The texture you have on that is plain though. The 2D stuff is not useful for games you have no scaled environments to set feeling and no laid out character concepts. Remember this stuff is supposed to be made into 3D. Again just look around online for other portfolios.
  • Mike Yevin
    Offline / Send Message
    Mike Yevin polycounter lvl 11
    i agree with what has been said, but as far as design goes i would suggest removing the "~Portfolio~" all together. it will bring up your work and the links, and it will make the layout much cleaner
  • Tigerfeet
    Aaah thank you all very much :) I'll start playing around with different templates. I'm going to try to find one that can put all my posts (images) one one page with a link to my resume somewhere around and a minimal header.

As for the content... this is the best I've got right now. From your comments and from what I've seen around polycount it's pretty obvious that I'm not ready to send this out anywhere. It's disappointing, but it is what it is. There's only one option and that's to work on new projects and kick as much ass on them as I can.

dpadam - I'm super proud of that goblin, but I really appreciate what you've said. I'm proud of it because I completed it while learning software and it's not like anything I've ever done before. Sometimes it takes another person to point out that just because I'm proud of it doesn't mean it has any place in my portfolio. You're absolutely right about the texture, it is pretty bland. Do you have any specific advice about how I could improve it? Things to keep in mind moving forward on new projects?