Home General Discussion

Portfolio stuff and beginners

Hey guys, what's up!

I have some questions regarding portfolios and beginners, which is what I am in this case.

Should I put together work that includes photo studies, master studies and other 2d and 3d artists' tutorials (which I did after them) and call that a portfolio?

Or I'd better say that's a gathering of work I did but not really a portfolio?

So being as direct as possible, is it ok for a beginner to put those kinds of things and call it a folio or it needs to have only paintings I came up with to be considered "real"?

I know it might sound like semantics only but maybe some people can get offended or laugh at me. I dont know.

The thing is I haven't reached the level where I can create something by myself and be proud to show it. However I like my studies and even gumroad tutorials which I found very helpful and informative. The problem is that a part of me feels that I did not make them, even though I did, which is true. The idea wasn't mine but the execution was. What about that?

Replies

• pmiller001
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pmiller001 greentooth
    What are you applying for?
  • technokill
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm not applying for anything really.

But for instance, soon there will be an event where industry pros will be giving portoflio reviews. And I'm not sure if what I have is considered a portfolio because of the sort of work there.

I'm not even sure if I should present it that way or if I should just say "hey I dont have a portfolio yet but these are the pieces I have been doing so far".
  • pigart
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pigart polycounter lvl 6
    Add everything that isn't from a tutorial.
  • technokill
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pigart wrote: »
    Add everything that isn't from a tutorial.

Hmm okay, so all sorts of studies but not tutorials? Mind explaining why?
  • jStins
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jStins interpolator
    Just keep an art blog on tumblr or blogspot. It's nice to have a place to post online without the pressure of it being a formal portfolio.
  • m4dcow
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    m4dcow interpolator
    technokill wrote: »

In some cases these tutorials have shown you exactly how to do an asset, you have made no decisions be it artistic or technical. You can't very well respond to inquiries by saying "that's how they did it in the tutorial".

The employer also may have seen a bunch of these tutorial assets in other portfolios, some of the tutorials even provide the project files, there are assholes out there that would stick that shit into a portfolio to try to get a job.

It is fine to do the tutorials, but try to apply what you learned to make an asset of your own, even just using a different concept can suffice.
  • BagelHero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BagelHero interpolator
    Yeah, this is all art blog material. Get on Tumblr, make a sketchbook thread or upload to your favorite community art site and keep that stuff there as a log of your progress.
  • technokill
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jStins wrote: »
    Just keep an art blog on tumblr or blogspot. It's nice to have a place to post online without the pressure of it being a formal portfolio.
    BagelHero wrote: »
    Yeah, this is all art blog material. Get on Tumblr, make a sketchbook thread or upload to your favorite community art site and keep that stuff there as a log of your progress.

Got it, I do keep a blog. So in that case, would it be fine to upload stuff I did from tutorials? Meaning would the art community view that as something okay?

And also, does that mean I can't call my studies "portfolio" pieces (not including tutorials at all) or take them to be reviewed in art events?
  • sprunghunt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sprunghunt polycounter
    Got it, I do keep a blog. So in that case, would it be fine to upload stuff I did from tutorials? Meaning would the art community view that as something okay?

And also, does that mean I can't call my studies "portfolio" pieces (not including tutorials at all) or take them to be reviewed in art events?

It only really matters when you apply for a job. People don't care that you've done tutorials. But for a job portfolio your example pieces shouldn't include tutorial content.

In general it's better to have examples of work that show that, not only do you have skills, but you're also creative. You want to demonstrate that not only can you make art, but that you can make art that's eye catching and appeals to people.

Of course when you're learning you just want to get better at technique so it's expected that you're doing tutorials but don't forget the goal isn't just to reproduce other people's art.
  • technokill
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Understood.

So you guys think it's not worth to have my pieces review if they are merely execution and technique (studies) instead of full creative and original work?
  • BagelHero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BagelHero interpolator
    On blogs and sketchbook threads, its absolutely fine to post studies and tutorials, but perhaps accompany them with a little sentence or two on what you learned, what you could do better, how to apply it/how you'll be applying it, a review of the tutorial etc. Perhaps no one would read it, but it's a good exercise in self-analysis.

What everyone means is just A) don't try to pass it off as your own original work B) use the skills to make original art or bigger projects to put on your portfolio. :) Doing tutorials can only get you so far on its own!
  • RaptorCWS
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    RaptorCWS polycounter lvl 11

most professionals have seen the tutorials and know you followed it step by step. there is nothing wrong with following a tutorial step by step as long as you understand why you are doing each step, but the work produced from it does not really show you understand. something you may want to try is following a tutorial but modeling something that is the same kind of object but not the same object so you can show that you understand what you are doing and not just punching in numbers. for example if the tutorial is a car modelling tutorial making a Lamborghini, try modeling a Ferrari or a Bugatti veyron and use a different paint scheme to show you understand how to texture. this way you are putting what you are learning to practice and whenever you show it to someone no one with instantly go i recognize that from x tutorial.