Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Arcade Riven - WIP [League of Legends Fanart]

polycounter lvl 9
Offline / Send Message
Skuld polycounter lvl 9
Hey Polycount,
I wanted to start a new personal project so I decided to try to do something for League of Legends and practice their art style. I really liked the design of the new Arcade Skins, especially Riven's new look. I loved the colors and elements of the costume.
This should be a fun project!
Here is the concept art and what I've got so far.
I'm still blocking some parts, but any feedback is well received :)

CLqbrtHWEAAWsF_.jpg

arcaderiven_wip1.png

Replies

• Skuld
    Offline / Send Message
    Skuld polycounter lvl 9
    Small update!
    Started working on the glove and the belt, also fixed the hoodie a little. I think I should probably start refining the hair. arcaderiven_wip2a1.png
  • PyrZern
    Offline / Send Message
    PyrZern polycounter lvl 12
    Her hot pants might have to be hugging her thighs a bit more.

But liking this a lot. Keep it up man!
  • Skuld
    Offline / Send Message
    Skuld polycounter lvl 9
    PyrZern Hey! Thanks for checking this out and the feedback. I'll try to adjust what you say about the pants a little. :)

Another update, I wanted to see her with some color, so here is a quick polypaint. (the hair still need work)
    arcaderiven_wip3_adrianazamora.png
    arcaderiven_wip3b_adrianazamora.png
  • Skuld
    Offline / Send Message
    Skuld polycounter lvl 9
    Another update, started modeling her sword :)
    CN6wlhLUAAEauSO.png
  • amirabd2130
    Offline / Send Message
    amirabd2130 polycounter lvl 7
    she looks good
    looking forward to this
  • ooyoo
    Offline / Send Message
    ooyoo polycounter lvl 4
    heyyy this is looking really awesome!! nice work!!

the only thing that pops out to me, if sticking purely with the concept, is that league is known for making their females with longer calves (especially paul kwon), the length of the leg is good so possibly just move the knee cap up?

cant wait to see this finished!!
  • Skuld
    Offline / Send Message
    Skuld polycounter lvl 9
    amirabd2130 Thanks glad you like it!
    Shinigami Wow, thanks! Actually I love playing as Jinx, so maybe I'll do a custom skin after I finish this project.
    ooyoo Hey, thanks for the feedback! I also thought the legs looked a bit off, so I moved the knee up a little as you suggested and it does look better :)

Here is an Update! I fixed things based on the feedback you guys gave me, also refined the hair and added some smalls details in the clothes. I'm pretty happy how this is going so I'll probably start working on retopology this week. Thanks again for your comments guys. :)
    arcaderiven_wip4_adrianazamora.png
    arcaderiven_wip4a_adrianazamora.png
  • Skuld
    Offline / Send Message
    Skuld polycounter lvl 9
    Starting the retopology phase! :)
    WIP

retopo.png
  • Skuld
    Offline / Send Message
    Skuld polycounter lvl 9
    Finally had some time to work on the retopology.
    I think it's mostly done so I'll start working on the uvs and then baking time!
    arcaderiven_reto.png
  • Skuld
    Offline / Send Message
    Skuld polycounter lvl 9
    Update!
    Bakes fresh from the oven! Now to do some cleaning and start adding color!
    arcaderiven_bakes1.png
    arcaderiven_bakes2.png
  • TomGT
    Offline / Send Message
    TomGT polycounter
    Bakes look super delicious! Makes me rather hungry..

You seem to have nailed her color scheme so texturing should be great! Looking forward to the handpaints.
  • Skuld
    Offline / Send Message
    Skuld polycounter lvl 9
    TomGT Hey! Thanks for checking this :) Yeah I know, there's nothing better than a good bake :3
    They came out pretty good so there wasn't a lot of cleaning to do. I'm going for the League of Legends style so its going to be one map for all the pieces. Here is the bakes+base color and the UV layout.

arcaderiven_wip_v41.png
    arcaderiven_uvs1.png
  • Stinkfoot
    Offline / Send Message
    Stinkfoot polycounter lvl 11
    neat! as in the model and the quality ;)
  • amirabd2130
    Offline / Send Message
    amirabd2130 polycounter lvl 7
    awesome.
    are you going to pose her?
  • Fnitrox
    Offline / Send Message
    Fnitrox polycounter lvl 6
    Really nice result so far!

A couple things bugging me tho, mainly the shoulderpad not being beefy enough, you could probably just bump its weight in the low without rebaking.

Also I'd try to tint the shadowy areas of the skin a bit more on the red side. Also the hair could use the shadow tinting to match its color.
  • Skuld
    Offline / Send Message
    Skuld polycounter lvl 9
    Stinkfoot Thank you!!
    amirabd2130 Thanks! Yeah that's the plan ;)
    Fnitrox Hi! Thanks for the feedback! You were right about the shoulderpad, so I made it beefier and it looks better. I also tinted the skin shadows with a litte more red, good suggestion :)

The last image I posted had lighting on so the shadows where darker. Here is the model with flat lighting on, as found in League of Legends.
    Theres still a lot of painting left to do, so stay tunned for more updates

Thanks again guys for your comments and feedback!!

arcaderiven_wip5.png
  • Swizzle
    Offline / Send Message
    Swizzle polycounter lvl 15
    I'm not sure what exact technique you're using for textures, but it looks like you have your AO set as a multiply layer. This is okay, but it's not going to give you the nice saturated shadows that LoL has. Multiplying AO on your texture is just going to lead to dirty looking shadows as opposed to nice color gradients.

I'd recommend starting like this: CNEL1vA.png

And then going with a layer setup similar to this one I used for the Vivi Retrogasm character I made recently: vtsemD7.jpg

Using a setup that has gradient maps will allow you to rapidly iterate on the colors of shadows, midtones, and highlights. It'll also make it so you can just mask off areas to make them colored instead of having to paint them all, and it'll let you do global adjustments extremely quickly.

From there, you can then do paintovers of areas that have weird artifacts or color transitions you don't like.
  • Skuld
    Offline / Send Message
    Skuld polycounter lvl 9
    Swizzle Woah! Thank you for the feedback and sharing some of your process on your Vivi model. (I downloaded the model and its amazing)
    Yeah, I went for the multiply AO process. I wasn't familiar with the gradient map process but now that I saw your feedback and the texturing stream from Maddy and Cody for BlubberBusters, I understand better how it works and I’ll start using it more. :) I already had some parts painted like the face and the torso by the time I saw your post so I’ll try to integrate this technique with the other parts.

Here’s an update. I’m still adjusting the contrast and colors between the different parts and starting to define some materials. Still lots to do.

arcaderiven_wip6b.png
  • Skuld
    Offline / Send Message
    Skuld polycounter lvl 9
    Hey guys! Update! I had time to work on this. More work on the texture and material definition. Some parts still need more refinement.
    As always any feedback, tips and tricks are welcome :)
    arcaderiven_wip7.png
  • Skuld
    Offline / Send Message
    Skuld polycounter lvl 9
    Hi guys!
    Sorry for the radio silence I forgot to post in this thread, I just wanted to share the final version of Arcade Riven.
    model