Home Unreal Engine

jbUDK Tools -- UDK tools script for Maya

Replies

• passerby
    Offline / Send Message
    passerby polycounter lvl 12
    @jbuck is this UI bug just in 2013? currently i got a lot of scripts with UI's that all work great on 2012, but am wondering if anything would need to be changed for 2014
  • jbuck
    Offline / Send Message
    jbuck polycounter lvl 9
    Yes, the UI bug is for 2013 -- 2012 worked fine. Window resizing and resize to fit children options are broken in 2013 when combined with certain UI features that involve dynamic resizing. This was confirmed by Autodesk but I don't believe it to be public knowledge.

I haven't tested if they've fixed it for 2014 -- I wrote in some version detection along with manual resizing functionality. A pain but it works.
  • jbuck
    Offline / Send Message
    jbuck polycounter lvl 9
    jbUDKtools and jbUnityTools are now updated for Maya 2014.

jbUDKtools

jbUnityTools

Let me know if you find bugs.
  • Elodin
    Hello there, I've just red the entire 3 pages and I've been trying to fix the bug with your advices but nothing seems to work. I got my root set, my fbxexport preset located but I still get this

FBX export preset file set to: C:/Users/Alex/Desktop/3D/projects - pripyat/alexFBXpreset.fbxexportpreset
    # Error: RuntimeError: file C:/Users/Joshuaq/Documents/maya/scripts\jbUDKtools_v130.py line 719: Object 'fbxExportPresetT' not found. #

Every time I'm trying to export
  • jbuck
    Offline / Send Message
    jbuck polycounter lvl 9
    Please make sure that:

1. You set a project in maya before running the script
    2. The fbx presetfile is in the root of the project before setting the project and launching the script

You can test if things are working correctly by viewing the script editor when you launch jbUDKtools. What does it say there? You can also set the fbx preset file after the script is run from the file menu in the script itself.

Let me know how you make out.
  • DanielSnd
    jbuck wrote: »
    You can test if things are working correctly by viewing the script editor when you launch jbUDKtools. What does it say there? You can also set the fbx preset file after the script is run from the file menu in the script itself.

Let me know how you make out.
    import jbUDKtools_v130_Maya2013
    jbUDKtools_v130_Maya2013.jbUDKtoolsUI()
    --------------------------------------------------
    jbUDK Tools initilization...

Maya Version: 2013 x64
    Active Maya project: C:/umodel/town/
    FBX export preset file: C:/umodel/town/UDK.fbxexportpreset
    Custom reference folder ' UDKreference ' found, but is empty
    --------------------------------------------------
    jbUDK Tools v v1.30 |  (c) 2009-2013 Joshua Buck  |  cgartistry.com
    Custom reference folder ' UDKreference ' found -- buttons created
    jbUDK Tools v1.30  |  Josh Buck 2008-2013  |  www.cgartistry.com
    select -r BrickColumn ColumnBase OverArc WallColumns Vase Decorative_Column Arc SquareColumn RoundColumn Trim_02 Trim_01 DoorUpDetail BrokenColumn FlagWide FlagNarrow Trim_03 WeaponStand Gate Audience ;
    # Error: RuntimeError: Object 'fbxExportPresetT' not found. #

I'm having the same problem :(

Also tried setting it in the Change preset menu, same problem occurs.

FBX export preset file set to: C:/umodel/town/UDK.fbxexportpreset
    select -r Arc ;
    # Error: RuntimeError: Object 'fbxExportPresetT' not found. #
  • jbuck
    Offline / Send Message
    jbuck polycounter lvl 9
    The bugs from the last post have been fixed. I'm now looking for feature requests as I'll be doing an overhaul of jbUDK Tools soon.

Download jbUDK Tools here: Download jbUDK Tools
    Post feature request here: jbUDK Tools Feature Requests
  • Ongaku
    Offline / Send Message
    Ongaku polycounter lvl 8
    Hi, thank you for making this script, I've been having a blast doing some modular modelling with Maya and a nice grid.

The only thing that's not working for me is the fbx exporter (individual and batch). I followed the instructions but it doesn't seem to solve my issue. I'm using Maya 2014 Student Version, this is what happens when I click EXPORT - # Error: TypeError: cannot concatenate 'str' and 'list' objects #

I thought it had something to do with the suffix and prefix strings so I tried with and without them and all the combinations (only suffix, only prefix), but to no avail.

I would love to have this feature handy, I'm totally available for testing some kind of configuration or whatever If you need me to.

Again thanks !
  • jbuck
    Offline / Send Message
    jbuck polycounter lvl 9
    Hi. Yes, I'm aware of this problem and it will be resolved in the next version. This is just poor error reporting on my part. Solution on your end is to make sure there is an fbx preset file (.fbxexportpreset) in your current Maya project before you start the jbUDKtools script. This should solve the problem.

When you first run the script, what does the script editor print for you?

Please let me know if this solves this for you.
  • Ongaku
    Offline / Send Message
    Ongaku polycounter lvl 8
    Sorry this is a clear case of RTFM with care and attetion. Your instructions are clear but I assumed the script would go for the preset from the default FBX presets folder that maya creates. As soon as I did what you said it all worked fine.

Reading is a good practice, thanks !
  • jbuck
    Offline / Send Message
    jbuck polycounter lvl 9
    Glad you got it sorted. I set it up this way so the user could have different FBX export presets based on the project they were working in. I realize it's not ideal for everyone but seems OK for most.

As promised, the next release will kill this error for good -- in the least it will indicate what the problem actually is. :)
  • Ongaku
    Offline / Send Message
    Ongaku polycounter lvl 8
    I did some custom icons for both the unreal and unity script, that I'm also using, to make it easy for me when working in maya. I thought of just sharing them here for everyone, if you're cool with that. Also if you´re interested I can send you the original photoshop file to do as you please, in case you want to pack them with your scripts.

unityGridIcon.png
    unrealGridIcon.png
  • Norron
    Offline / Send Message
    Norron polycounter lvl 13
    Hey jbuck, I really love your script. Saves me a lot of time not moving stuff around to export it and setting up my scenes. I'm having a problem though with Jbunity tools in Maya 2015. The script window won't resize to show all the available tool options so I can get to some of the FBX export options and transformation tools.

I can open multiple tabs but the window never resizes past what the image shows.
  • jbuck
    Offline / Send Message
    jbuck polycounter lvl 9
    Hey, thanks. I'm aware of the problem and will be working on a solution soon. Hopefully a simple matter!
  • passerby
    Offline / Send Message
    passerby polycounter lvl 12
    jbuck wrote: »
    Hey, thanks. I'm aware of the problem and will be working on a solution soon. Hopefully a simple matter!

think you just need to explicity define the window size, instead of having it based on the controls size
  • jbuck
    Offline / Send Message
    jbuck polycounter lvl 9
    Fixed jbUnityTools to now have correctly scaled and dynamicly scaling windows in Maya 2015. Also tested in Maya 2012, 2013 and 2014.

Download here: jbUnityTools download

In case anyone is interested: once again it looks like they changed something in the behavior of the Maya "window" command, this time in Maya 2015. Last change that broke window scale was Maya 2013. Because jbUnityTools uses dynamic UI scaling as the frameLayouts expand and collapse I wrote a simple function that manually subtracts the size of the frame layout from the main window as it's collapsed. Old school! As far as I can tell the window "resizeToFitChildren" command does absolutely nothing anymore.