Home General Discussion

Resume Advice

polycounter lvl 6
Offline / Send Message
JonathanLambert polycounter lvl 6
I'm not sure about the best way to approach a resume for the game industry. I've done some freelance work using gaming tech for the oil/gas industry but the NDA prevents me from showing or going into detail about that work. Other than the work under NDA, I don't have any game industry experience.

However, I'm currently the Houston regional manager at an environmental regulation compliance/consulting company and I'm in charge of multi-million dollar contracts. It pays well but the work is soul crushing and I want out. Would a hiring person care about this non game related job experience, or would it help to project maturity, professionalism, and dependability? Do I even list it, or just highlight skills over experience?

I appreciate any advice.

Thanks

Replies

• RyRyB
    Offline / Send Message
    RyRyB polycounter lvl 18
    Hey Jonathan,

Unfortunately, you have to respect NDAs. If you can show that you are well-versed in the techniques and workflows in the industry (And judging by your website, you are definitely qualified), then experience won't be as crucial.

A close friend of mine was in a similar situation: had a well-paying construction management position in charge of bidding for multi-million dollar construction contracts. He dropped that job for a position in the industry. As far as your current job, I would absolutely highlight any transferable skills and leverage those as much as possible. They will only serve to paint a better picture of you as an employee.

Ultimately, your portfolio will land the job, not the resume. But if you have a strong portfolio with a strong supporting resume, I imagine you would be a potentially attractive hire.

Cheers!
  • oskarkeo
    Offline / Send Message
    oskarkeo polycounter lvl 10
    Hi Jonathan,

I think with Resumes there's only one thing you can do - be honest about where you've come from and where you're headed. don't get hung up on a lack of games experience - that's the purpose of your application. you can't be expected to have the experience until someone has given you the opportunity to get the experience. Posting on polycount however will be a great boot camp, as you get the artistic and technical feedback from industry veterans, and help you develop and show your abilites.

I think employers will appreciate and understand you can't show off NDA work, every artist has most likely been there.

Regarding employers, theres no real golden rule what they will accept or not accept. I've known artists to move between games commercials and films project to project as much as i've heard of artists having to battle to show they can cut it in a different sector.

For now definitely list your oil job in your professional experience, as it explains what you have been doing, but with a view to drown it out with games experience once you get yourself established.

Its not down to the employer to care or not care about your non-gaming job, it's down to you to show them why they should care and why it is relevant.

If you sit down and think it through, you can very clearly explain how you took that job to gain experience working in games engines while developing your artistic skills. That shows initiative.
  • JonathanLambert
    Offline / Send Message
    JonathanLambert polycounter lvl 6
    I agree with you but in this case there is a combination of classified proprietary process equipment designs that belong to the end client and emerging tech belonging to my client. Many of these facilities won't allow you to bring in anything that has a camera and you are searched coming in and on the way out.
    Oil refineries are all pretty much the same and don't care but most of the chemical plants are very restrictive. In this situation, the NDA is absolutely justified. Honestly, I wouldn't want to put any of that work in my portfolio anyways, that type of stuff favors accuracy over aesthetics.

Cool video by the way.
  • oskarkeo
    Offline / Send Message
    oskarkeo polycounter lvl 10
    What you've done is allowed yourself to get into a situation where the client is dictating everything in the contract to their advantage. That's the root of the problem. Next time, insist that there be language in your work contract specifying that you can show your work in your portfolio.

[vv]22053820[/vv]

Try telling that to valve about that HL3 work you did 4 years ago, or to Disney about the awsome spaceship you made for the last act of StarWars VII. NDA's need to be respected. In some cases its possible to negotiate footage for a private reel from your client or employer, but having known folks to be fired with zero notice for mentioning (not showing) the content of unreleased media, I'd caution against pissing on the hand that feeds.

Once the project (whatever it is) is out in the public domain it's a different story, but you must remember that if are being hired to create work on behalf of a client, the client is the one that owns your output.

How you get further work is your problem to sort, not the clients. If that's not agreeable to you, then bill more until the money makes up for the inconvenience, or try and negotiate to retain ownership of your output at a reduced rate, and be aware that the client will unlikely be interested such arrangements.