Home General Discussion

Kotaku: "Five Things I Didn’t Get About Making Video Games (Until I Did It)"

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
RyRyB polycounter lvl 18
Thought this was an interesting enough article to post here:

Kotaku: Five Things I didn't Get About Making Video Games (Until I Did It)

After so many years in the industry, I started staying away from certain forums. The frothing hatred and vitriol of some gamers just wasn't worth it.

Replies

• Darth Tomi
    Offline / Send Message
    Darth Tomi polycounter lvl 12
    I don't work in the industry, but even I knew some of that stuff. :)
  • Muzzoid
    Offline / Send Message
    Muzzoid polycounter lvl 10
    Yuuuup, It is super frustrating talking to people who don't even have a conception of how games are made. It's easy to forget how little people know :|.

(also it's nice to read someone on Kotaku being critical of the way journalists act towards devs!)
  • Blond
    Offline / Send Message
    Blond polycounter lvl 9
    As a long time game forum lurker, I have no words to describe how ignorant gamers are when it comes to developping games.

Yesterday, I was reading a ''The Order'' bashing thread on a french site and alot of the xbox players stated that their engine sucked and that iwas just a Unreal ripoff..Basically, Unreal is the one that started PBR ( a term they don't even know)according to them.

Another stuff is when they start criticizing visuals of the game with no understanding of the tech involved in it.

You know, woudn't it be great if the game reviewers themselves knew what game developping implied before making reviews?

For example, instead of having stuff like:

Graphics: 6/10 '' Even though XY game plays well and is colorful, the overall is ugly.''

I'd prefer stuff like:

Graphics: Fair '' Visually, the game isn't stunning but the studios crafted an engine capable of rendering dynamic radiosity which gives the game nice variants of color and brightness through the areas.''
  • MrHobo
    Offline / Send Message
    MrHobo polycounter lvl 13
    I dont think that would alleviate the problem Blond.
    The general public would still be super ignorant about the process and language of development.
    Its the same problem the VFX industry has, everyone thinks its all one button pushed and its done, so the work is undervalued
  • juniez
    Offline / Send Message
    juniez polycounter lvl 10
    all right guys. who wrote this. explain your self
    09b6167eaa.png
  • Goeddy
    Offline / Send Message
    Goeddy greentooth
    juniez wrote: »
    09b6167eaa.png

im not pointing any fingers but he wrote "...one meaty title..."

(sarcasm)
  • stickadtroja
    Offline / Send Message
    stickadtroja polycounter lvl 11
    I agree partly with mrhobo. the role of the critic is not to know how the development process works, its to critically analyze the result. critics are a service to the public and the aduence, and therefore needs to experience the media in the same way.

actually the less they know the better i would almost say. otherwise they wont be the fresh eyes that can point out overlooked flaws, or rise the expectations on the medium.

heres a shitty analogy. i go to a resturant, and get shitty food. i complain, and get to talk to a manager that tells me, the chefs tried really hard but due to circumstances, they got the wrong vegetalbes delivered, a chef had a bad day and forgot to wash hands, two courses got mixed up during stress, etc ie the hardships of running a resturant.
    to me all of this are irrelevant. the only thing that concerns me, is that i expected a good meal but didnt get one. no mather how hard someone tried, i will still choose another resturant the next time.

its the same with anything that is meant to sell and entertain a audience. an artwork or movie or game or something else, doesnt deserve a explaination to why it doesnt meet the audience approval. therefore extended knowledge about how the media was created is useless.

with that said, the dude in the kotaku article seems to have been a really shitty journalist calling people idiots. but lack of understanding about game development isnt the flaw here, lack of common sense is.
  • ZacD
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    @stickadtroja This does become an issue when you talk about Kickstarter and early access when customers are actually riding along with the creative process. If the only interaction a customer is experiencing is the end result (like food) then the customer shouldn't care what the developer says as excuses. But if you decide to fund your acquaintance who wants to open a restraunt, and you get an early testing, if everything isn't perfect, an explanation from your acquaintance makes sense.
  • stickadtroja
    Offline / Send Message
    stickadtroja polycounter lvl 11
    yeah i agree. but thats the blessing/curse with kickstarter, that you cant be a lazy consumer, you have to think more like an investor.

but, in the end it shouldnt affect our judgement of the product. the question "is this good or bad?" is different from "do i have sympathy with the creator of this product's struggle?"

EDIT: slightly offtopic, but maybe not: peter molyneux comes to mind. he offers a lot of excuses for his projects nowdays, which i think is excessive, since hes projects continues to fault in the same ways. let the product do the talking.

and lets not forget, the journalists and audience also acts wrong in the same way in my opinion. they judge hes games based upon the way he hyped them up, which i dont think is a very good messure of a games quality. again, let the product do the talking.
  • Blond
    Offline / Send Message
    Blond polycounter lvl 9
    blazed wrote: »
    [FONT=&quot]To be honest the gaming industry is so overly saturated now I take longer picking out what games I want to waste my precious time on, often I just give up and go do something else.

The game developers themselves have raised the bar so high, that I'm always looking for that next massive game with the unique gem to it. Hopefully giving me that intense fun I feel when I play a great game.

Any less and for some reason I just don't want to go through the hassle of buying/downloading/installing/wasting time. Heck the games could be free and I'd still feel the same way.

When there is that much competition when there is that many games coming out day in day out, regardless of how much work and skill is put forth it will be undermined by others.[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]
    Only the best with the unique edge seem to succeed.[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]
    Otherwise it's "been there, done that" or "Good idea, but lacks quality in other areas." [/FONT]

Actually, the whole entertainments media is kinda saturated and it's always hard for the artists/devs to get success because the consumer has plenty of choices.

It's not just with games but with movies, tv series, comcis and novels,animes and let's not forget the music industry.

Sure it's saturated but compared to other indisutry, it's not that bad (yet).

And despite what you think, we are quite lucky since gamers have different taste. Because of that, indie game with unusual tone and gameplay get success (Limbo, Minecraft, Hotline Miami). Compare that to the music industry and you realize indie musicians don't get that much success/recognition from their work.

Same goes for movie. European movies are often overlookd and ignored in comparison to American productions. However, in games, you have companies like CDProjekt (Poland) that managed to get the whole gaming world eye's on them with their upcoming release.

Edit: By the way, sooner or later there will be eventually a crash in the industry just like it happenned before during the E.T period. However, after we'll probably be back on our feet again and start anew for a new generation.

Whenever your console overheats, just reset it...
  • EarthQuake
    its the same with anything that is meant to sell and entertain a audience. an artwork or movie or game or something else, doesnt deserve a explaination to why it doesnt meet the audience approval. therefore extended knowledge about how the media was created is useless.

Yes and no. When was the last time you saw a well known food critic write something like. "Bobby Flay's new restaurant is a total piece of shit. What sort of idiot would do anything like this?"

On the other hand, you'll see tripe written by video game "critics" like this written for the bigger sites regularly. There is very little professionalism or credibility when it comes to video game review sites, which is a stark contrast to most other industries. There is often a fine line between games "journalism" and youtube comments.

Negative reviews aren't a problem, nor does every reviewer need to be an expert game designer. However, some professionalism, tact, and perspective would go a long way.
  • AtticusMars
    Offline / Send Message
    AtticusMars greentooth
    EarthQuake wrote: »
    Yes and no. When was the last time you saw a well known food critic write something like. "Bobby Flay's new restaurant is a total piece of shit. What sort of idiot would do anything like this?"
    "Is the chef a pathological liar?"
  • anglorum
    Offline / Send Message
    anglorum polycounter lvl 6
    I don't honestly see why a crash is inevitable. The film industry hasn't "crashed" in fifty years? Maybe once is all we need to learn our lesson? Maybe? Hopefully?
  • JedTheKrampus
    Offline / Send Message
    JedTheKrampus polycounter lvl 8
    The film industry may not have crashed, but it's certainly had its rocky spots. The untimely demise of Rhythm & Hues comes to mind.
  • Amsterdam Hilton Hotel
    Offline / Send Message
    Amsterdam Hilton Hotel insane polycounter
    Dunning-Kruger in full effect.

I know one too - confirmation bias.
  • Leinad
    Offline / Send Message
    Leinad polycounter lvl 11
    Name calling of any sort really puts me off when it comes down to relaying information (criticism). I don't enjoy reading information from "career critics". Those whose main income is derived from criticizing others are generally incentivised to rely on emotion to get more traction to their article. It's quite disingenuous.

The stuff in the article is quite basic, the fact that a professional video game critic (my assumption) doesn't know it before criticizing a video game is odd to me. Game development is at the bleeding edge of software development and yet many "gamers" are quite vocal about how they would approach development when they have no idea what that means.
  • Leinad
    Offline / Send Message
    I agree partly with mrhobo. the role of the critic is not to know how the development process works, its to critically analyze the result. critics are a service to the public and the aduence, and therefore needs to experience the media in the same way.

It depends on the type of critic. There is a big difference between "this is a fun game and here is why" to "this development team made a mistake and here is why".
    actually the less they know the better i would almost say. otherwise they wont be the fresh eyes that can point out overlooked flaws, or rise the expectations on the medium.

I completely disagree with the claim that "the less they know the better". If you're going to criticize game development (I am not just talking about how fun a game is) then you should have a rudimentary understanding of what you're criticizing.
    heres a shitty analogy. i go to a resturant, and get shitty food. i complain, and get to talk to a manager that tells me, the chefs tried really hard but due to circumstances, they got the wrong vegetalbes delivered, a chef had a bad day and forgot to wash hands, two courses got mixed up during stress, etc ie the hardships of running a resturant.
    to me all of this are irrelevant. the only thing that concerns me, is that i expected a good meal but didnt get one. no mather how hard someone tried, i will still choose another resturant the next time.

The complexities of restaurant food is incomparable to technological development.

In the analogy you used the solutions were quite evident therefore you were able to reasonably criticize and give potential solutions (this is not how it's done in game development criticism). It's just not the same in development. Granted, if you were able to give proper steps to resolve issues being critical of then the analogy would be much more effective.
  • eld
    Offline / Send Message
    eld polycounter lvl 18
    Leinad wrote: »
    The complexities of restaurant food is incomparable to technological development.

In the analogy you used the solutions were quite evident therefore you were able to reasonably criticize and give potential solutions (this is not how it's done in game development criticism). It's just not the same in development. Granted, if you were able to give proper steps to resolve issues being critical of then the analogy would be much more effective.

We would like to put ourselves above other businesses, but we're still making products and we more often than not try to put our plates on peoples tables hoping they don't notice we burnt the food.

From my own experiences game development is like a messy kitchen, even down to the very "too many chefs" aspect of making games.
  • PyrZern
    Offline / Send Message
    PyrZern polycounter lvl 12
    Leinad wrote: »
    It depends on the type of critic. There is a big difference between "this is a fun game and here is why" to "this development team made a mistake and here is why".

I do think both are worthy critics. Reviews don't have to try to be positive as much as they don't have to try to be negative. '5 Reasons why Elder Scroll Online would flop' is as legit as '4 Reasons why Guild Wars 2 is awesome.' And I believe both have their places on the internet. Remember, each reader is also the reviewer of the review. If the review is crap, then we as readers ignore it.
  • Travis C
    Offline / Send Message
    Travis C polycounter lvl 8
    juniez wrote: »
    09b6167eaa.png

christian_bale_american_psycho_patrick_bateman_axe_10989289_RE_PwnzElite_has_declared_war_on_Grammar_Nazis-s400x300-173837.jpg
  • Leinad
    Offline / Send Message
    eld wrote: »
    We would like to put ourselves above other businesses, but we're still making products and we more often than not try to put our plates on peoples tables hoping they don't notice we burnt the food.

From my own experiences game development is like a messy kitchen, even down to the very "too many chefs" aspect of making games.

Yea, I can totally see how it would feel that way.

I don't think one is better than the other. What I was trying to point out was that game development has a lot of problems that we have yet to find final solutions for. Things like human level AI, game engines, immersion (think VR) etc... These are some fundamental problems that are often criticized, but the solutions are simply a work in progress. That's why I think the analogy doesn't take into account the fact that the problems in game development are hard, ongoing, and lack easy answers (if any at all).

I feel like I am being a bit nitpicky, my apologies. People have made some great points in here. I think I've ran into too many emotional gamers who criticize development studios as if the studio has stolen their lunch money. Often times forgetting that they (the studios) are real people with feelings.
  • Mask_Salesman
    Offline / Send Message
    Mask_Salesman polycounter lvl 13
    That reply HAS to be a troll, altho the public wont know that.
  • DrunkShaman
    Offline / Send Message
    DrunkShaman polycounter lvl 14
    Gonzo wrote: »
    Thought this was an interesting enough article to post here:

Kotaku: Five Things I didn't Get About Making Video Games (Until I Did It)

After so many years in the industry, I started staying away from certain forums. The frothing hatred and vitriol of some gamers just wasn't worth it.

You know I was really going to have at the OP for posting this until I saw his avatar...:shifty:
  • WarrenM
    Love that long ass post. So it takes 4 days, from concept to in-game, for a character. I'd better let our artists know.
  • cptSwing
    Offline / Send Message
    cptSwing polycounter lvl 11
    No concepts even needed, remember? All you need is a silhouette.
  • Xoliul
    Offline / Send Message
    Xoliul polycounter lvl 14
    He does make a few valid points before completely derailing though. I've seen my fair share of endless revising and there's some truth in the "business big wigs" enforcing dates and deadlines.
  • Cibo
    Offline / Send Message
    Cibo polycounter lvl 10
    Sorry to say that but on a sites like deviantart.com i can find characters and landscapes more impressive than everything i have seen in computer games so far. From start to finish one man projects are often more impressiv then the normal PC Character. Maybe the charcaters dont undergo the managment process with many people involved. :poly124:
  • WarrenM
    Remember that game characters have to, you know, ship - so they are limited in triangle counts and texture res.
  • NegevPro
    Offline / Send Message
    NegevPro polycounter lvl 4
    There's also the cost of time. Anybody can spend a lot of time on a single asset and make it look amazing but professional developers need to make assets very quickly which means sacrificing quality at times.
  • RyRyB
    Offline / Send Message
    RyRyB polycounter lvl 18
    Nitewalkr wrote: »
    You know I was really going to have at the OP for posting this until I saw his avatar...:shifty:

Because posting a relevant discussion point in General Discussion is...not a good thing?
  • skyline5gtr
  • MiAlx
    Offline / Send Message
    MiAlx polycounter lvl 10
    If I understood the lengthy kotaku comment right, companies should receive payment from the developers for working on their games. Because if everyone at blizzard paid the company instead, they would have a bigger incentive and make the next Diablo in two weeks... Right?

yjbmm.gif