Home General Discussion

first day help

polycounter lvl 5
Offline / Send Message
N-gon polycounter lvl 5
Hey, everyone. I just got a job at a games studio. As a prop artist.
I was wondering if you guys had any advice or tips for my first day?
this is my first job real job ever, I've had some freelance work before but that was always off site.
thanks for your time
-N-gon

Replies

• Muzzoid
    Offline / Send Message
    Muzzoid polycounter lvl 10
    Get off polycount, and facebook :P.

Also, Grats!
  • Steve Schulze
    Offline / Send Message
    Steve Schulze polycounter lvl 18
    They're not going to expect you to instantly adjust to the project and start churning out assets. You'll have a little while to learn the nuances and requirements and get up to speed. Just relax and roll with whatever comes up.
  • Sam Hatami
    Offline / Send Message
    Sam Hatami polycounter lvl 16
    Probably gonna get your user logins, mail accounts, shown to your desk, meet around and shake hands, have lunch, shower with everyone, sit down at your desk, get to know your computer a bit, fiddle around with some file management if its needed.

You'll probably also be informed about the project you are going to involved in, who does what and what your roll is gonna be.

So, first day = shake hands, smile, use your own shower gel and enjoy the ride.
  • Torch
    Offline / Send Message
    Torch interpolator
    This sounds obvious, but make sure you have an idea of the main software they're using, if its different from your main app then start training in it asap so you can hit the ground running. Don't bug the lead too much if possible, try to take initiative and make informed decisions when you can.

Unfortunately I'm not in a great position to comment, the only in-house work I did was at Mind Candy for about 2-3 weeks until the mobile team I joined got shutdown XD

Last of all at the risk of sounding cheesy, believe in your ability. You have some solid work and they wouldn't have picked you for the role otherwise. Its easy to get a first job and freak out through lack of confidence but like its already been mentioned, they'll let you settle in instead of just throwing you in the deep end.
  • nyx702
    I can't remember people's names to save my life. I can't remember numbers or letters either.

If you have either of those problems bring a notepad! People are probably going to be breezing thru various processes and there is no way you are going to be able to remember it all. If you are lucky they will have some sort of wiki or documentation available.
  • N-gon
    Offline / Send Message
    N-gon polycounter lvl 5
    thanks everyone! for the advice!
  • ExcessiveZero
    Offline / Send Message
    ExcessiveZero polycounter lvl 6
    eat all the free food you can, you will need to conserve your energy.
  • Damian Nachman
    Offline / Send Message
    Damian Nachman polycounter lvl 6
    Sam Hatami wrote: »
    Probably gonna get your user logins, mail accounts, shown to your desk, meet around and shake hands, have lunch, shower with everyone, sit down at your desk, get to know your computer a bit, fiddle around with some file management if its needed.

You'll probably also be informed about the project you are going to involved in, who does what and what your roll is gonna be.

So, first day = shake hands, smile, use your own shower gel and enjoy the ride.

Bu...But.... I'm a never-nude!