Home Technical Talk

How The F*#% Do I Model This? - Reply for help with specific shapes - (Post attempt before asking)

Replies

• Bek
    Offline / Send Message
    Bek interpolator
    I'd probably try making one of the bumps, then duplicating it in X and Y, then deforming it however you like. Soft selections or constrain to background/shrinkwrap come to mind.
  • ZacD
  • Olli.
    Offline / Send Message
    Olli. polycounter lvl 8
    does anyone have any techniques for adding edge loops to curved geometry in 3ds max? like you know if you just add a one using connect in edit poly edge mode, itll make that part of the curve flat, and if the curve is very gradual its nigh impossible to tweak it by hand to make it smooth again..
  • WarrenM
    One option is to hold shift while using swiftloop, it will attempt to preserve the curvature. It often doesn't work but it at least tries.
  • Synaesthesia
    Offline / Send Message
    Synaesthesia polycounter
    Thanks, guys! I'll give it a shot tonight when I get out of the office.
  • Olli.
    Offline / Send Message
    Olli. polycounter lvl 8
    WarrenM wrote: »
    One option is to hold shift while using swiftloop, it will attempt to preserve the curvature. It often doesn't work but it at least tries.

wow i had no idea about this tool! thanks so much man, this is just what i need
  • Synaesthesia
    Offline / Send Message
    Synaesthesia polycounter
    Got the definition I wanted. I ended up duplicating a box and quad chamfering it with scaled-down middle. Works well enough for what I need, and I used affect region just to be stupid. ;) Thanks, guys!

bumpy.jpg
  • lloyd
    ZacD wrote: »
    (I'm hiding the top because I didn't manage the edges properly)

Basically you just want to start with a sphere with a lot of divisions, I started with 128 edges, ended up with 192, but it looks like you'll want a bit more than that to exactly match the concept.

cffhxZZ.png

Thank you, i'll give this ago when i get to this bit!
  • tehfailsafe
    Hmm, tried those option after I got home.
    Attached the result. I thought I copied it exactly as you had it but the results are not nearly as smooth as yours.

The wobblyness in B&C I could figure out by adjusting each loop, but I would hope there's a better way? I tried both connecting each ring and using swiftloop from graphite modelling tools. Holding shift helped on some, others destroyed the edges?

Here's the max and obj file, what am I doing wrong?
    http://www.failsafedesign.com/failsafedesign.com/3d/curve_to_hard_transition.zip

Maybe I just suck... Appreciate the help. :poly127:
  • kinggambitben
    Offline / Send Message
    kinggambitben polycounter lvl 4
    Hi 3DS Max newbie here!

I tend to get non-planar quads a lot so I add "turn to poly" modifier and use "require planar" to triangulate said quads. Result shown in pic below.

Is there a way to remove the triangulation edge and make a planar quad again? (akin to removing an extra vert from a pentagon while holding ctrl to create straight-edged quad) I know one of the verts would have to readjust for that to happen but I can't seem to find any tool online.

More broadly, is there a way to avoid getting non-planar polys? I'm assuming it doesn't matter for triangles as much?

makCShh.png
  • kinggambitben
    Offline / Send Message
    perna wrote: »
    kingga:
    However, of course you should make sure that angles between the two tris in a quad are kept within a healthy maximum angle, but that should come as a consequence of your workflow and tools, and not as a touch-up after the fact

Ya,the topology in the screenshot is pretty nasty i'll admit :\
    Sorry noob question: when you say "healthy max angle", does that mean that the quads dont have any angles over 180 degrees?

EDIT: ahh got it. Will apply that retriangulate modifier. Thanks! :)
  • Dave Jr
    Offline / Send Message
    Dave Jr polycounter lvl 9
    I'm severely stuck with this if you could advise it would be greatly appreciated! I have made a slight change in the curve on the trim on the right hand side; figured it would be easier and better for the lower poly.

JNo1WIH.jpg

TLlG4cN.jpg

I'm mainly stuck on the topology for the edge and the bulbous square area... its incredibly difficult :(
  • Computron
    Offline / Send Message
    Computron polycounter lvl 7
    RNTN9AT.png

Dat wireframe:

Mark-Wahlberg-Confused-In-The-Happening.gif
  • Dave Jr
    Offline / Send Message
    Apologies, trying to rush through this on my lunch at work haha :D My friends gave me a good help cheers tho guys :D
  • D.Carmine
    I have been working on modeling an Orion Flare Gun (25mm). So far this is what I got. I am a little stumped on how to tackle certain areas, such as the grip on the handle and a few areas around the trigger. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Ref Images:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/0ma6n8h4eiiqf6k/Orion%2025mm%20Flare%20Gun.jpg

https://www.dropbox.com/s/mz4sea4h6jrf7ov/Orion_FG%20%282%29.jpg

Orion%2025mm%20Flare%20Gun.jpg
  • AlexCatMasterSupreme
    Offline / Send Message
    AlexCatMasterSupreme interpolator
    Computron wrote: »
    RNTN9AT.png

Dat wireframe:

Mark-Wahlberg-Confused-In-The-Happening.gif

LOL
  • NanoTurtle
    Should I reuse edgeloops to have them define 2 edges to keep things tidy or should I add a new loop every time to keep editing as simple as possible ?
  • andream
    Hi guys, I'm making a low poly car for a mobile game and I'm not satisfied with the current topology.

What do you think?

dmj4.jpg
  • jtneville3d
    Heya guys, I'm trying to model a Tachikoma, but I am rather struggling with the hemispherical head. How would I go about modelling the circular holes required for the eyes to sit, and how would I approach the smaller holes around the Front eye? Is it possible without and pinching and/or distortion? dennou_chogokin_tachikoma-1.jpg

Cheers,

Joe
  • BARDLER
    Offline / Send Message
    BARDLER polycounter lvl 12
    andream wrote: »
    Hi guys, I'm making a low poly car for a mobile game and I'm not satisfied with the current topology.

What do you think?

dmj4.jpg

This is generally tips for sub-d models. Are you wanting to make a highpoly? or are you just keeping it low poly?
  • getrag
    I managed to do it by my self no need help :P( and cant delete)
  • Ark
    Offline / Send Message
    Ark polycounter lvl 11
    Heya guys, I'm trying to model a Tachikoma, but I am rather struggling with the hemispherical head. How would I go about modelling the circular holes required for the eyes to sit, and how would I approach the smaller holes around the Front eye? Is it possible without and pinching and/or distortion? dennou_chogokin_tachikoma-1.jpg

Cheers,

Joe

Start with a Sphere or a Box that's been subdivided and go from there, just make sure you have enough supporting geometry to avoid pinching in the areas you plan to cut into.
  • WarrenM
  • Quack!
    Offline / Send Message
    Quack! polycounter lvl 17

I was wondering how long it was going to take you to do that Warren!
  • WarrenM
    Haha ... to be clear, I didn't do that model. But I knew it existed so I HAD to link it. :P
  • Edward-Andrew
  • jtneville3d

Amazing model, definitely time to learn Modo. Are there any tutorials that I may look at for cutting holes in circles (in max)? I scoured google for a while, but asides from finding a golf ball tutorial using isohedrons, there wasn't an immediately obvious solution.

Joe
  • Ahoburg
    Guys, in desperate need of help.
    Been trying to model these bandages for few days and just can't figure out how to make them to look like i need them too. I figured out that it must be some kinda criss-cross bandaging, not spiral, but i may be wrong. Everytime i try to do it i either have huge gaps between layers or it just doesn't work. So yeah, if anybody could help i'd be forever grateful.

EGyuJq1.png
    JM1gUNu.png
  • NotExactly
    Offline / Send Message
    NotExactly polycounter lvl 4
    Anyone able to give me a hand with this please? Nothing I've managed to make has looked very neat, especially with the curvature on the Y axis you can see on the top right picture.

Edit: Just to make it clearer, it's specifically the base where the lens meets the camera I'm having trouble with, the lens I managed to do without much trouble.
    Geo.jpg
  • WarrenM
    Maybe change the thread title to "Help me model this shape." or something.
  • NotExactly
    Offline / Send Message
    I didn't see much point posting it since what I've done is clearly wrong
    Geo2.png
  • NotExactly
    Offline / Send Message
    I completely redid the geo and while it does work slightly better I can't work out how to sharpen up the corners when turbosmoothed. I was hoping the support loops would help but no such luck.

Geo3.png
  • NotExactly
    Offline / Send Message
  • WarrenM
    Don't get defensive, he's trying to teach you to fish. That's more what this thread is - rather than just telling people what to do, every opportunity is taken to teach instead.
  • Ionixe
    I have completed my 1-4x24 Scope model and I'm currently working on modelling a Colt M45A1 (USMC 1911).

I am kinda stuck at looping this:

http://i.imgur.com/olr7OZ4.jpg

To achieve this:

http://i.imgur.com/fwdrgbb.jpg

I know this has been posted somewhere in this thread as well the forum, but I can't seem to locate them. Anyways,... help?

Cheers! :D
  • Dave Jr
    Offline / Send Message
    As simple as this is, I'd like to learn the most efficient way of modelling this: (yes I know its basic but its the CORNERS I struggle with)

GgC7kQR.jpg

What I struggle with is the modelling, but how to model rounded corners and 90 degree angles with an efficient polygon flow; WITHOUT edge extrusion/vertex snapping...

I've tried chamfering a diagonal edge...it doesn't feel like its the right result.... is there an effective fast way of making rounded corners like this or am I just having a dumb moment?
  • Polygoblin
    Offline / Send Message
    Polygoblin polycounter
    Show you're mesh so someone can help you properly. Read a few posts prior to see they were JUST talking about this. At least show the result you don't feel is right.
  • Dave Jr
    Offline / Send Message
    Polygoblin wrote: »
    Show you're mesh so someone can help you properly. Read a few posts prior to see they were JUST talking about this. At least show the result you don't feel is right.

Apologies,

quickly modelled this and tried to illustrate what I as getting at. I modelled the overall shape before then having loads of edges left to "round its corner off".

NfCK4Ob.jpg

However, say for example if I was to do this part at the start of modelling phase ( as illustrated in the box ) and chamfer the diag edges... it gives me rounded corners but they just don't seem to be right? should they follow the topology lines I drew on?

what I'm asking isn't necessarily about this particular object but more about how to model corners such as these in an efficient manner I can easily understand.
  • Dave Jr
    Offline / Send Message
    Crossposting this relevant bit:

THREE DIMENSIONAL CURVE-TO-HARD TRANSITION
    Artist wants to add a hard corner to the shape in column A.
    The modeling FAQ thread has countless requests to solve this case.
    There are two distinct solutions, and a combination thereof.
    Top rows: Hipoly subdivided
    Bottom rows: Lowpoly cage
    High-spec material used to show off any poor shading.

COLUMN 2: Solution A - Minimize transitional area.
    Keeping the transitional area tight, minimizes the poor shading it results in.

COLUMN 3: Solution B - "Add moar geo"
    Shown with one subdivision. Adding sufficient geo for a tight edge here would necessitate 16 times the polycount of the original cage, clearly overkill.

COLUMN 4: Unified solution
    The best approach in this case. We now have an extra segment with which to build the second control loop, which didn't exist before. Had this segment existed in the original cage, we might not have had to increase the mesh density at all, but just applied solution A.

per128_corneroncurve01.jpg

Hi Perna,

It wasn't that I was trying to get different amounts of roundness on my corners.. it was that I felt the topology the chamfer provided me with wasn't what I was looking for?

I've been questioning myself since I saw this image (as quoted above) in which indicates the topology lines to be quite straight and consistent (like the red lines I drew over).
  • Ionixe
    lonixe:

This should be sufficient.
    The groove sides now have a tilt so as to be better represented in the normal map, and to help distribute the geometry of the curve (keep the vertical loops equally spaced)

A couple of jargon tips:
    Swift Loop is a tool with which to create edge loops. The term you're looking for there is just "edge loops"
    Turbosmooth/Meshsmooth are modifiers with which to create subdivision. The term you're looking for there is just "subdivision/subd/sub-d/flubber-bub"
    per128_lonixeedges.jpg

perna, thanks for the reply! :)

I still can't seem to understand what to do with the mesh? Especially the grooves.

My main reference:

http://25.media.tumblr.com/7ec3a80ad3b2828667164cf871f80a4d/tumblr_mnla9fbbyf1rigv19o1_1280.png

as you can see, the grooves are curved. :/
  • Mark Dygert
    Ahoburg wrote: »
    Guys, in desperate need of help.
    Been trying to model these bandages for few days and just can't figure out how to make them to look like i need them too. I figured out that it must be some kinda criss-cross bandaging, not spiral, but i may be wrong. Everytime i try to do it i either have huge gaps between layers or it just doesn't work. So yeah, if anybody could help i'd be forever grateful.

http://i.imgur.com/EGyuJq1.png
    http://i.imgur.com/JM1gUNu.png
    I would do this: http://www.polycount.com/forum/showthread.php?p=2032842#post2032842
    Or subdivide what you have already and conform pieces of it at a time, don't forget about the shift brushes.

Also, sculpting app...
  • karasuzanu
    is this good ending of loop ?

screw_end_by_karasuzanu-d7bxvyj.png
  • WarrenM
    It's our version of "Will it blend?" .... "Does it smooth?" If so, ship it.
  • karasuzanu
    sorry. I am a novice. I was confused.. blender nuts factory model. ending with tries. tries for hardsurface model is good or bad or
    I guess it does not matter for this model. but if, I blend this screw in animation quad is batter right.

Thenks for comment.

wvOQNm.png
  • timotronprime
    Offline / Send Message
    timotronprime polycounter lvl 11
    karasuzanu wrote: »
    triangles for hard surface model is good or bad?
    Triangles aren't inherently good or bad, they have their uses in subdivision modeling and are better than quads for certain situations; it's not a "always use quads here, always use triangles there" thing.
    karasuzanu wrote: »
    I guess it does not matter for this model. But if I bend this screw in animation, quad is better right.
    Generally, uniform quads deform nicer. An improperly triangulating quad still creates artifacts that you want to avoid.
  • s6
    Offline / Send Message
    s6 polycounter lvl 10
  • s6
    Offline / Send Message
    s6 polycounter lvl 10
    Thanks for putting the stack down below.

I really need to work on a less destructive workflow. I collapse after literally every modifier. Bad habit. I may re attempt this just for the sake of keeping a workable/revisable stack.
  • Sam Hatami
    Offline / Send Message
    Sam Hatami polycounter lvl 16
    s6 wrote: »
    Thanks for putting the stack down below.

I really need to work on a less destructive workflow. I collapse after literally every modifier. Bad habit. I may re attempt this just for the sake of keeping a workable/revisable stack.

Yes, this is a very strong approach to keep a coherent way of thinking when modelling.

I could perhaps give a insight in my day job on how important this is:

In structural analysis, when you are optimizing a body, this way of modelling is called parametric study. When you create geometries for, say a car dashboard, you want to control as many parameters as possible from an external control sheet. CAD software does this a lot, but also the analysis tools. I sometimes build up entire models by parameters at my day job, it takes a while but its worth the turn around. Basically, when a request of changes comes from the designers, I just need to change some basic parameters to change the structural behavior of the body with a lot less effort to redo the entire process from start :)

Every primitive object is built this way, you do this in a way using the modifier stack. The 3DSMax modifier stack is seriously strong, I could even compare it to one of the top tier CAD systems that does this (obviously the CAD systems are much more rigid).

Using symmetry modifiers, volume selects and FFDs makes you workflow less destructive and you'll gain another dimensions of thinking when you try to work ahead of your own nose :)

Just for the anecdote, I remember using a CAD/Structural analysis tool called I-DEAS (lol @ the name). The "history tree" which were their equivalence to the modifier stack, was built in self-destructive manner. If you changed something to far back, you would loose your saves! Not to mention everything was built in modules, which had different type of UI's :D

Don't underestimate a clean workflow and equally clean workspace! :D
  • kinggambitben
    Offline / Send Message
    welp this is embarrassing to post after the stuff i saw in this thread...

Back in newbie land, every video tutorial I saw on lofting a profile spline to a path spline has the same method (select path, Loft + "Get Shape", select profile spline)-- but when I do it, my profile runs parallel to the path (planar instead of tubular).
    Eys5paD.png

I've tried rotating the original profile spline since the lofted object was an instance but no dice. :(
  • TheRealFroman
    Offline / Send Message
    TheRealFroman polycounter lvl 11
    Yo dudes! I'm working on a school project right now, and I'm wondering if I can get some help with this. I need to model something that somewhat closely resembles this shape here: lEL0GdA.jpg but I'm not sure where to start. I'm wondering if someone can give some good pointers? Its a abstract/organic model with many complex curves, which is something I'm having trouble with. I'll appreciate any help! Thanks

P.S. I use 3DS Max