Offline / Send Message
    juancaratino polycounter lvl 7
    UPGRADE the Stick / Hair / Belt

2sakymc.jpg
  • Fefs
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fefs polycounter lvl 3
    Update! Making the hair now, some fixes in the cloth and a creative moment with ropes and the lateral detail I made a mask

jhep77.jpg

@tigerheart Awesome! You rendered it where?

@derf The general forms are good, just the hair that I think is too much, but is not done yet so let me see how you progress

@riceart Good! Just the front part of the fabric is a little strange (too pointed), but the side to me is very good.

@Pearse I think the head is coming to much to the front and the neck is short...but keep working!

@taglol You can do more shadow in the texture to make the details stand out a little more and it will help give more life too.

@juancaratino Very cool!
  • DiegoTeran
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DiegoTeran polycounter lvl 11
    I need to fix the anatomy some more and re-size some of the clothing parts. but overall its coming out how i want it to.

DetailsPhase.jpg

PS": Spoke to some of my friends in the industry and they pointed out that those "top abs" in the concept are in fact NOT abs, its the rib cage of the character. So with that in mind i went ahead and did some changes to the torso area to fit the concept better.

PSS: my hair/fur style sucks. going to change that lol
  • RakibHasan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    RakibHasan polycounter lvl 5
    Very slow progress.. not sure i can finish it in time or not ??

10645181_10202425844557515_2736739485289527926_n.jpg?oh=49128800e9f605e3038c1271a9996009&oe=54BFC938&__gda__=1420448711_958251d5a2a1ae89c689ff83e5680bd8
  • juancaratino
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Turista wrote: »
    PS": Spoke to some of my friends in the industry and they pointed out that those "top abs" in the concept are in fact NOT abs, its the rib cage of the character. So with that in mind i went ahead and did some changes to the torso area to fit the concept better.

Yes. is the RIb CAGE, but, rib cage are bones, and are noticiable when the character are thin or you inhale, but when is muscular/rest like the concept, muscle are in front of rib cage, occluding de bones, the concept is wrong , but.. is a Fuc#$# bluish lion with armour , LOL what we expect?
  • DiegoTeran
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yes. is the RIb CAGE, but, rib cage are bones, and are noticiable when the character are thin or you inhale, but when is muscular/rest like the concept, muscle are in front of rib cage, occluding de bones, the concept is wrong , but.. is a Fuc#$# bluish lion with armour , LOL what we expect?

the concept is not wrong because its a concept of a "sabretooth Kitty" style character, so technically he can really have what ever the artist wants his concept to have, of course while staying within what works and what doesnt and i think the ribcage works just fine even with the concepts physique.

take a look at Death from Darksiders - http://videogame-art.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/08/VideoGameArt_Darksiders2_Death01_JamesBrianJones.jpg This works great with what the artist was trying to achieve with the concept.

I think the artist Our concept took some ideas from the darksiders model and i like it.

so for the rest of the people doing this concept, I would suggest taking some time and revisiting the abdominal area of your model and adjusting those ribs to look like ribs instead of abs.
  • Deoce
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Deoce polycounter lvl 5
    Here's the WIP. Decided to stray from the first idea and got here. I'll spend little more time on the body and hopefully start on the clothing soon. comments and critiques are welcomed.

This is my first character so i don't want to c&c 'cause i've no knowledge about this and all i do is use reference, so only advice i can give to other artist is to use sh*t load of reference from human to animals anatomy and DO NOT hurry, take your time 'cause after all we are doing this to learn not just do it as fast as possible...

10484952_10203916032574152_2007210977844040612_n.jpg?oh=83639b2925d9cb48e10bd2ee8ee825fa&oe=54F6E557
  • Starfish235
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi guys, First post on the forum been a long time lurker! Decided id join in on the challenge. This is around a day of work, just blocking in the main shapes and forms. I think i need to soften everything up and take a look at the rib cage/abdominal area again Any critique is appreciated! :)
    SkttL9Pl.jpg
  • llRobinll
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    llRobinll polycounter lvl 5
    First time joining a challenge like this. Rougly blocked out the anatomy. (legs/feet/hands need a lot of work)
    I probably won't have the time to finish it though..

@Starfish235: It's nice that you're going for a planar style but it's very hard to pull off. It's easy to go overboard, I'd tone it down on the serratus anterior and the external obliques. Maybe try to find a planar representation for those muscle masses as a whole. good luck!

JqZWFfB.png
  • neanderland
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nice abs and pecs Robin! Take a look at the concept and don't do like I did and put five finger on him. I just realized he's only got four. Here is my first screenshot. Too much time were spent leg muscles and the hip which won't be visible :P
    gI1EupT.png
  • DiegoTeran
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Making some adjustments to the anatomy and proportions. Got some awesome class on these type of characters from a great friend who works at EA.

Still tweeking things but this is what i got so far.

oie_oie_animation.gif

and a higher quality image of the new version.

3quarter.jpg
  • Sunn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sunn polycounter lvl 4
    llRobinll That looks great! Can I ask you, how will you go about cutting the fingers out and sculpting them, what will that process entail?
  • tigerheart
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tigerheart polycounter lvl 9
    Day 11, and I'm calling it done:
    finalg.png
    finalface.png
    finald.png

@fefs, i render it in marmoset
    @Starfish235, i think your leg are a bit short... but i like the way you define your muscle.
    @llRobinll He's got a nice profile. Be carefull about his eyes, i think there a bit far appart...
    @turista. You were the first one telling me my arms were too big^^
  • MrCreator
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hello people, I havent been posting my progress for a few days, im sorry I didnt have any time to do so... So, I retopoed this guy, painted him and im ready to rig him. This is where its at..

Its 5264 tris in total.

tqelf.jpg

PS. im sorry, I dont have time to post critiques =/
  • llRobinll
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    llRobinll polycounter lvl 5
    @neanderland: looks nice, check the anatomy of his back, some of the muscles do not make any sense.
    @Turista: his armpits and serratus anterior/external oblique look pretty undefined, also the division between posterior delt and triceps looks very harsch.
    @Sunn: I'm still at a very early stage, I'll just remove the fingers have now and replace them with proper ones.
    @tigerheart: looking great overall, nice presentation. I think my eyes are pretty close to the concept, I personally think everyone else has the eyes way too close together :)
  • juancaratino
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sorry guys, but, this RULE today http://www.polycount.com/riotcontest2014/

i'm moving to it
  • Pearse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey guys,
    just a little update. I spent some more time on his muscles and blocked out his clothes and stuff in Maya.

Feel like i should be going a lot faster :/ would love some crit.

Pearse2.jpg

@Turista looking good.. the botom of his ribcage looks a bit extream now. maybe thats what you were going for it just looks a little strange to me.

the other thing i would say is maybe splay his toes a little? they look a bit roboty

@llRobinll you were probably going to do this anyway but i would thicken up his feet.. they dont look like they would support him (sorry)

also his butt looks a little.. round? maybe tuck it in at the sides?

@RakibHasan Great start M8, you might want to bring a low poly version of your sculpt into maya or max and model out his clothes and things... i know it would mean starting them again.. but it looks like you might be fighting them?. and a clean solid base might save you a headache.
  • apollo580
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    apollo580 polycounter lvl 9
    @Turista Love your work! I'm no expert but the only thing that jumps out at me is the upper abs right under the pecs, they seem a little to defined and jump out a bit too much compared to the other muscles.

And here is my update.

Update 2: I tried to upload a second angle but imgur was being weird

nA1SOfO.jpg
  • DiegoTeran
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    apollo580 wrote: »
    @Turista Love your work! I'm no expert but the only thing that jumps out at me is the upper abs right under the pecs, they seem a little to defined and jump out a bit too much compared to the other muscles.

Hey thanx! they arent abs :) its the rib cage, and i been updating my model going with a more "natural" look. got some great feedback from some friends.

this is what i got so far, still tweaking the anatomy and im going to redo the legs as well.

NewAnatomy.jpg
  • Baldi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Baldi polycounter lvl 2
    Hey there everyone,

Baldi here,
    http://www.artstation.com/artist/Baldi-Konijn

the artist of the original concept. Let me start by saying. Holy cow, what an awesome interpretations of my concept! I feel very humble that my concept was picked so thank you for that.

I read through a lot of the comments here and I apologize for some (anatomical)errors in the concept. This 'Soothsayer' was pretty much just a doodle and wasn't really thought out through to be a good concept. Again this is also part of the fun for you guys of course as I see so many awesome and interesting interpretations of this dude.

Here a bit of feedback for a few of you guys if you want it.

@Turista
    Dude you are killing it! The proportions are spot on and your approach to a more realistic style fits it very well. My critique would be that the head still feels a bit too human. I imagined this guy (as some of you already noticed) a bit of a lion or cat with quite a bit of space between the eyes (also look at the trolls of the LOTR movies for additional reference). Other than this I think you are on your way to an awesome model and can't wait for you to finish it!

@Starfish
    Great start, I like your approach to this sort of style. Proportion wise I think you could still improve quite a bit. This guy has massive arms and quite a small head for his body. Try and make him feel a bit stronger. Also note that he has quite a flat forehead. It is not domed like human skulls.

@Neanderland
    Good start, top notch proportion wise I'd say. Could still use some more work on the head. Try and remix a human head with a tiger/bear.

@Apollo580
    The deltoids on your guy are too big man. I know they are pretty huge in the concept but they do not envelop the entire upper arm :) Proportion-wise I'd say your head is too big. Keep it up man!

I have to go now but if I have some spare time this week I might try and give some more feedback and maybe even a few paintovers or additional concept sketches for this guy (maybe a few more angles on his head as I think this is a tough one). BTW I am totally open for questions or anything and will try to come back at you as soon as I can.

Cheers guys!
  • monkeydonuts246
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    monkeydonuts246 polycounter lvl 9
    Current WIP. Need to work on the legs and feet a lot as well as the body...

RklbKet.png?1
  • DiegoTeran
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Current WIP. Need to work on the legs and feet a lot as well as the body...

RklbKet.png?1

Not a bad start dude. Anatomy needs some more work on the torso. (: keep going
  • DiegoTeran
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Baldi wrote: »
    Hey there everyone,

Baldi here,

the artist of the original concept. Let me start by saying. Holy cow, what an awesome interpretations of my concept! I feel very humble that my concept was picked so thank you for that.

@Turista
    Dude you are killing it! The proportions are spot on and your approach to a more realistic style fits it very well. My critique would be that the head still feels a bit too human. I imagined this guy (as some of you already noticed) a bit of a lion or cat with quite a bit of space between the eyes (also look at the trolls of the LOTR movies for additional reference). Other than this I think you are on your way to an awesome model and can't wait for you to finish it!

I have to go now but if I have some spare time this week I might try and give some more feedback and maybe even a few paintovers or additional concept sketches for this guy (maybe a few more angles on his head as I think this is a tough one). BTW I am totally open for questions or anything and will try to come back at you as soon as I can.

Cheers guys!

DUDE! thanx for stopping by! means a lot to us artists :) and of course thank you for the feedback, i will take the advice and work on the head some more :) WOULD be amazing if you did do a few angles of the head to get a better idea.

im really glad you like the proportions, ive been tweaking them since i started to get the right feel.

:)
  • jimmyjaba
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jimmyjaba polycounter lvl 5
    Update time, had some time over the weekend and today to get going on the textures, this is my progress so far. SoothsayerWIP_03_zps75b792e2.png~original
  • apollo580
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Apollo580
    The deltoids on your guy are too big man. I know they are pretty huge in the concept but they do not envelop the entire upper arm Proportion-wise I'd say your head is too big. Keep it up man!

Thanks for the critique! I'll try to touch it up and make the improvements!

@Turista Question for you if you dont mind. I seem to smooth my model out a lot and lose those lines that make the model look rugged and less plain. How often do you smooth to get your model to look the way it does, and keep those lines for the muscles?
  • DiegoTeran
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the critique! I'll try to touch it up and make the improvements!

@Turista Question for you if you dont mind. I seem to smooth my model out a lot and lose those lines that make the model look rugged and less plain. How often do you smooth to get your model to look the way it does, and keep those lines for the muscles?

Of course i dont mind :) i smooth by tapping and i do it often, dont be afraid to smooth out areas and re-sculpt on top, i think thats what gives it a more natural look imo.

so in general (and this is depending of course what phase of the sculpt im in) i sculpt the abs very harshly on a lower subdivision, maybe sub 2 or so, then smooth out a bit, sculpt on top smooth and sculpt, then go to my dub 3 or 4 and recreate some of those in-between lines that youre talking about, and probably smooth again lol its a process.

what we can do if you like is, ill be on a google hangout tonight and you can jump on and ill share my screen and go over the model if you like and show you some of my process.
  • Xyrtae
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xyrtae polycounter lvl 6
    I haven't been able to get much of anything done for the last week or so because of a sudden project at work but here is my progress.

@baldi Thanks for stopping by I really like your work and art style.

rmRM3KB.jpg
  • Deoce
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Deoce polycounter lvl 5
    There were some reference with the darksiders death character with pushed ribcage and that Turista done on his char, that i fell in love so i wanted to go that direction and explore it. :poly136: Still gonna tweak the anatomy but it's time to move forward for now to refresh my eyes.

So here is the update, found some time to blockout the clothing. I need to spend a lot more time learning how to clean whole mesh up so far everything is very messy and i hate it. :poly118:

Glad to see Baldi checking the forum really pumps up motivation. :)

char_wip_by_deoce-d82f5nj.jpg
  • apollo580
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Turista Really appreciate the offer and wish I could somehow check out your technique, unfortunatly I have 2 midterms this week so I'm studying non stop at the moment.
  • DiegoTeran
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Turista Really appreciate the offer and wish I could somehow check out your technique, unfortunatly I have 2 midterms this week so I'm studying non stop at the moment.

i dont mind after. =] just hit me up anytime.
  • juancaratino
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey there everyone,

Baldi here,

Here a bit of feedback for a few of you guys if you want it.

@Juancaratino ...............................????????

and I? so ugly that neither deserves comment?
  • Fefs
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fefs polycounter lvl 3
    Update! I think now I'm good to do my textures and retopo in kitty but I will do the riot challenge too, I will try to finish it more quickly.

5o9yxc.jpg

@Deoce You can play more with the clouth, make it more crumpled.

@Xyrtae move the toes together

@jimmyjaba Cool! Keep working!
  • Sunn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sunn polycounter lvl 4
    llRobinll wrote: »
    @neanderland: looks nice, check the anatomy of his back, some of the muscles do not make any sense.
    @Turista: his armpits and serratus anterior/external oblique look pretty undefined, also the division between posterior delt and triceps looks very harsch.
    @Sunn: I'm still at a very early stage, I'll just remove the fingers have now and replace them with proper ones.
    @tigerheart: looking great overall, nice presentation. I think my eyes are pretty close to the concept, I personally think everyone else has the eyes way too close together :)

OK sorry to bug again, but another question. How will you go about deleting the fingers and reappkying them? You have sculpted a good amount of detail, won't you lose it if you redynamesh? This is my biggest problem, working with multiple parts, so anyone feel free to chime in :D thanks
  • Baldi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Baldi polycounter lvl 2
    @taglol
    I love the subtle purple in his skin tone. And I think you actually captured the boney fingers he has as one of the best I've seen. You have to work on the rest
    of your anatomy though. Look at the concept and notice how massive his arms are, they are freaking huge! The face also needs quite a bit more work, it looks too humanoid now
    Oh and although I love the massiveness of the wooden staff, it might need a bit more color variation, but then again I wasn't that satisfied myself with the staff design so you
    can absolutely go nuts with it of course to make it even better then the concept I did.

@juancaratino
    Hey man, I am sorry that I have no time for all of the people here but unfortunately that's how it is. I am a full time freelancer and work a lot of hours. I try to come here often as I can but sometimes I just can't get to everyone. That doesn't mean I think they are bad or something. It just takes a bit of time to write these down and I want to
    give the best feedback I can. Anyway, on to the feedback.

I think he has some great forms and a pretty cool style to him. There are a few things you have to keep in mind. Right now it feels like everything on him is the same material because
    it all has sort of the same way of highlights/specular. His skin shouldn't be as reflective as the leather for instance. Just keep your highlighted edges in check and you'll be fine
    My complements for the way you handled the hands, nice big and boney. I do feel his neck should feel a bit more massive. Maybe shorten it slightly and make it a bit thicker.

@Fefs
    Great interpertation on the hip plate, I know there is hardly anything to see in the concept so I love how all of you have a different approach. Make the arms more massive and I think you should
    show a bit more the elbow. I also think your back anatomy needs a bit more work but you are getting there. On the front you missed a row of abs but I understand you made this mistake as it is my
    own mistake :) Try and form the pec's more into the deltoids and make the deltoids a bit more protrude and angular. I think you did a very good job on the face btw. Short forehead, eyes spaced out, and wide mouth. top notch!
    Just keep at it.

@Monkeydonuts246
    Not much to add to what already has been said tbh. I would however change the proportions of the face. Make it a tad smaller and shorten the forehead. Love the hands btw VERY good!

@Xyrtae
    Hey thanks. I am really glad you like my style! Feedback: Nice and angular! The anatomy needs a bit more work, especially on the front. Fingers need to be a bit more boney and the face a tad smaller.

@Deoce
    Haha Darksiders(Joe Mad) has been a large influence on my style and the pushed ribcage is something you'll see more in my work. I know it's not anatomically possible but I feel it always gives a great sense of form and flow to a body.
    Take a look at the sculpts of Philippe Faraut for some more nice forms!

1c6f6754d0b5ce2709f846630e147611.jpg

Cool rib cage dude.. love it :) Push the abs and pecs a bit more though along with the hips. The shoulders could also protrude a tad. As for the face. space out the eyes a bit to make it less human and maybe widen the face just a little bit.

Ok that's it for now. Again, sorry if I didn't get to you for feedback but I must get back to work. This doesn't mean I don't like it. I love them all!

PS. Oh btw I did a few little sketches of the head from a few angles. Hopefully this is of some help for you as I see that most of you seem to have difficulties with the face. Pardon me if there are a few inconsistencies in these sketches as they were done pretty quick but I think it provides a bit of an insight as how this guys face is formed.

TKbzitr.jpg
  • Deoce
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Deoce polycounter lvl 5
    Sunn wrote: »
    OK sorry to bug again, but another question. How will you go about deleting the fingers and reappkying them? You have sculpted a good amount of detail, won't you lose it if you redynamesh? This is my biggest problem, working with multiple parts, so anyone feel free to chime in :D thanks

You can separate out the part you want and then dynamesh just that part. That way you get different subtool with more polygons. So the face, hands, feet, etc... can have more density polygons then rest of the mesh. Raphael Grassetti tutorial "Design and Anatomy Package" really explains that well. hope that helps. :poly122:

@Baldi Yea Joe Madureira is the beast. Thanks a lot for the c&c i will look into that as soon as possible and tweak it. :)
  • dagaric
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dagaric polycounter lvl 6
    Ok, coming in a bit late, but I'll try yo keep up. This is like my first complete character ever, so I hope I'm up to the task. I'm trying to go for something less titanic here, some smaller torso and sturdier legs. it still needs TONS of work, I'm just posting the WIP
  • juancaratino
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

TKbzitr.jpg

THANKS for your TIME , It is much valuable
  • garriola83
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    garriola83 greentooth
  • neanderland
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks Baldi!
    I've tried all day today reworking the face. Your new sketches brings light to some of the features that I had a hard time reading :) Much appreciated! Here is another screenshot. Still quite alot to be done but hopefully some small progress.

http://imgur.com/V1RZXxR

V1RZXxR.png
  • dagaric
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dagaric polycounter lvl 6
    Posting the advances of the day
  • jimmyjaba
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    More texture work, still LOADS to do and clean up tho!!

screenshot007_zpsb197a20d.png~original
  • derf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Got finally some time to continue working on this.

rwAURkZ.png

@Baldi: Thanks a lot for the sketches, they are great and helpful :)
  • Pearse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    spent far too long retopoing this guy. happy enough with the results.. but if any one has any crit or comments would love to hear them.

Pearse3.jpg

Hey guys some of these are really coming together! i dont have any crit.. but I'm excited to see what everyone ends up.. please keep the updates coming its great motivation seeing what every one is doing.
  • apollo580
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Update #3

Made the head a bit smaller, tried to fix the huge bicepts from before and added some more detail to the armour!

gGQjrMG.jpg

7lkf97V.jpg
  • monkeydonuts246
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    monkeydonuts246 polycounter lvl 9
    Update. Still tweaking here and there, haven't had a whole lot of time

7P6NkRB.png?1
  • Fefs
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fefs polycounter lvl 3
    @Baldi Wow! Awesome! Tks for the feedback, I was starting color, but I did some modifications now, I was trying to do the most near possible from the concept, so for the abs I was thinking that it can be what the artist really wanted (he's not total human in face, so maybe was the same thinking there)....but if you say that is a mistake, I will make the right anatomy...and correct what is left ^^

Now my update, just starting colors and some minor modifications

mhgakx.jpg

@garriola83 You can push a lot in the mouth

@neanderland If you visualize what is under the beard, it will make your life easy, for me now, your cheek in a little fat

@jimmyjaba Really cool your colors, he have the dark aura XD

@derf I like the form you gave him....looks like something that came from lord of rings.

@apollo580 in general is good, just I think his legs are a little disproportional for the rest.

@monkeydonuts246 Your anatomy is good! like the back and the feet, very well done!

Keep working everyone!
  • Deoce
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Deoce polycounter lvl 5
    Did some extra detailing on the clothes, still haves a lot of work (fixing bandages, adding missing objects, maybe redoing some parts, etc...), but it's moving forward i guess. :poly122:

Decided not to change face for now still thinking which way to go, make him more animal or human looking... :poly141:

char_wip_by_deoce-d82f5nj.jpg

@monkeydonuts246 Very nice, only thing that's standing out for me is the deep cut where spine should go, i think that need to be a little smoother, and maybe relax those back muscles. Just my thoughts. :\

@derf so far my favorite one, can't wait for updates. :poly136: :thumbup:

Keep up the good work people.
  • jimmyjaba
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey guys, another day, another update. Still need to fix and tweak a few things but getting close to having this dude done, then his staff and a cool base for him to be posed on. C&Cs alway welcome. Keep it up guys some great looking stuff on this thread!

Bluedude2_zpse109327c.png~original
  • Daniel Morris
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [IMG]file:///C:/Users/moris%20family/Documents/BSR%20Photos/frm00089.jpg[/IMG]
  • StephLee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    StephLee polycounter lvl 12
    [IMG]file:///C:/Users/moris%20family/Documents/BSR%20Photos/frm00089.jpg[/IMG]

Your image isn't showing up Daniel :)