Shanteez polycounter lvl 5
    Wait actually that's not dumb...
    You can paint custom masks...
    http://www.polycount.com/forum/showpost.php?p=2173862&postcount=1
  • Gordon Robb
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gordon Robb polycounter lvl 2
    Oh, I thought you could do it, I just thought it was what Dynamask was :)

However, I have as yet to figure out 'how' to paint custom masks. When ever I look a the layers in PS I get lost. Any pointer videos on how to paint custom masks?
  • Kosai106
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kosai106 polycounter lvl 13
    However, I have as yet to figure out 'how' to paint custom masks. When ever I look a the layers in PS I get lost. Any pointer videos on how to paint custom masks?

Inside the Dynamask editor, click the brush icon just above the "DONE" button.
    9e8479f67d.png
  • Eric Ramberg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kosai106 ypu just beat me to it :)

The three icons above the "Done" are for custom paitning.
    The brush is to paint, the erasor is to erase your custom paintings, the image icon is for importing grunge masks, the one with the suite or your own! :)
  • Gordon Robb
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gordon Robb polycounter lvl 2
    Thanks. Will take a look at this tomorrow for sure.
  • Avis Para.doc's
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Avis Para.doc's polycounter lvl 9
    Not so much a bug or problem, but seems no one point that before.

Everytime NDO launches it applies default performance settings in "Memory Usage" section. I know it maybe have a point to have additional memory for SUITE to work better and more stable. But when I work with huge PSD I quickly run out of free memory and all slows down. I have 16GB RAM and PS uses in that way only 8.5GB (58%) - far away from optimal in that case :\
    I like to work with 80% PS memory usage but it little bit annoying to apply it every time after NDO and then reload a PS. If it possible to add an option to NDO or beter in SUITE menu to shut down that feature like "Enable OpenGL Drawing" option :)
  • tach
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Is there a way to force 3DO to refresh without also forcing DDO to save in the process? If not, there really should be a way to do this.

Sometimes I find myself doing a bit of trial and error in DDO and 3DO won't refresh unless I click the refresh buttom which saves/overwrites my project files without any prompts or warnings. It really slows me down since I have to constantly back up my project files because of this.
  • MrNinjutsu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MrNinjutsu greentooth
    Not sure if anyone else has suggested this but perhaps it would be great if you could rotate the materials? Options to rotate by 90 degrees and 180?
  • warxsnake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    warxsnake polycounter lvl 8
    Not sure if this is the place to ask, I'm struggling with the new UI.
    If I just want to paint a custom/new layer, and once im done with it, have ddo turn that into a material where it gets added to all the other channels, where do I look out for that?
    In the Quixel Wiki tutorial, in one of the drop down menus, I see Layer->Material. I do not have that option on my ddo (1.8)
  • Avis Para.doc's
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Avis Para.doc's polycounter lvl 9
    It would be great to have some UI features from DDO in NDO.
    Alt+Click function to disable 3DO texture update when changing layer settings in NDO.

=== UPDATE ===
    And Fast Processing mode in NDO would be great!
  • programmer23
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    programmer23 polycounter lvl 6
    I think a feature that would really set DDO as the head honcho of texturing tools would be the ability to paint textures and masks in the 3do window, kind of like substance painter.

I don't know if this has already been suggested, and I do know that that is a massive feature to implement, but maybe just something to keep in the back of your heads. :)
  • tim.holm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I have a problem with 3do!

I'm just trying out this program and making some basic normal maps to try out in 3do.

However, when I open 3do my normal map does not show up, even when I refresh.

I may be doing something wrong, but the tutorial I'm following,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UlI1U6TLzyk

didn't do anything different than I.

Also this is how it looks when I open 3do:

http://i.imgur.com/sCf01VU.jpg?1
  • CKohl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CKohl polycounter lvl 10
    Why is it that not all materials are available when creating a new project? I want to pre-set some color IDs to materials like Tank Armor, or Bumblebee, or Military Metal but none of these smart materials are available from the ID Link Editor in the Base Creator. I've poked around the suite files and it looks like if I wanted to change this I would have to make manual edits to at least two different xml files and that may or may not break things. There should be an easier way to customize what pops up in the Quick PBR menu.
  • donofdon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    donofdon polycounter lvl 2
    I have a general beef, and I hope this is the right place. What's the deal with cavity and curvature maps, they are the same thing right?
    In the wiki the input page says cavity is top priority, but is never mentioned from then on, just "curvature".
    In Ndo you can convert to a cavity map, which looks like a curvature (cos its the same right..)
    In Ddo it only asks for a curvature map as an input.
    In the wiki you say create a curvature from tweaking an AO, but why not mention the Ndo converter which is called cavity in there?
    Then I see that xnormal is a good way of creating curvity maps, and i'm seeing far better results, especially on curved 90 degree angles with that tool. why bother with Ndo's output?

Should it not be best to just always call it curvature? Or am I missing something completely?
    Thanks
  • narticus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    narticus polycounter lvl 7
    I share your beef, don. Never understood the difference either.
  • CKohl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CKohl polycounter lvl 10
    I think it's a typo on the wiki when it says it prioritizes "Cavity" first. I believe they mean Curvature.

As I understand it, Cavity is supposed to represent small light occlusion (AO for small details) whereas Curvature represents convex detail like protruding edges as well as concave depressions. xNormal has options for monochrome, 2 color, and 3 color Curvature (as well as separate options for Cavity and Convexity maps) but DDO only uses monochrome and it confuses me as well since the resulting input maps can all look rather similar. Maybe I'm way off base here.

http://www.marmoset.co/toolbag/learn/pbr-practice#cavity
    http://wiki.polycount.com/wiki/Curvature_map

-Unrelated Ninja Edit-

I wish the SUITE toolbar would remember its screen position. It always opens in the top left of the work area in Photoshop but I like to move it to the top right. This is very very minor in the grand scheme of things, but I thought I'd let you know. :poly121:
  • donofdon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    donofdon polycounter lvl 2
    Yeah, good reminder of the marmoset link, that's what I imagine a cavity map should be.
    I wish there was a specific xnormal setting, after tweaking the settings a lot, i'm not sure what's quite right for ddo. It seems it really depends on just the right colour for the highlight and shadow, mid grey always 127/8. I've got a bee in my bonnet about getting just the right wear on a curved corner.
    I'm not finding the Ao -> High pass method that useful either on my tests. I still cant figure out why the cavity map convert exists since that usually ends up very different from a xnormal or ao-> high pass curvature map. Been round in circles today, reading threads on on here. I think I will need to gather my tests and show them in a thread since i'm kinda going off topic now.

+ 1 for screen position memory. I almost wish all the ddo windows + 3do were in one big window.

Slight annoyance. when working in a different photoshop doc/tab, ddo resets itself. It requires a click on the project tab and then click the ddo icon to bring back the project layers window. feels a bit fussy, not sure if anything can be done with that ..
  • 7hny
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi! While GPU baker is on the way, I have one sugestion to make. In 3ds max, I am able to bake a normal with rounded edges using fake round corners bump in Arch & Design material:

http://www.polycount.com/forum/showthread.php?t=71995

http://knowledge.autodesk.com/support/3ds-max/learn-explore/caas/CloudHelp/cloudhelp/2015/ENU/3DSMax/files/GUID-6F8332A7-CD75-4DA6-9E91-3A167B847A44-htm.html#GUID-6F8332A7-CD75-4DA6-9E91-3A167B847A44__WS1A9193826455F5FFBA679E112A6A19004-6BC

GUID-D1E80C55-C0EC-4596-B771-28653A69143E.png

As this is a shader level trick, this could be implemented in GPU baker. While not suitable for everything, it could be great for quick texturing of simple geometric props (especially hard edges only props). Also it would be great to use as a starting point for NDO (in said cases).

What do you think guys?
  • Wenceslas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Agree on this ^
    I've been thinking about the same thing for some time, and didn't knew it already existed somewhere.
  • Zabander
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi!, I love quixel suite, currentil using the demo, as soon as you put a calibration preset for vray I'll buy it, please put a calibration preset for vray.

Thanks!
  • malcolm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    malcolm polycount sponsor
    Hi not sure where to log a bug, but I've set the suite to open explicitly in Photoshop cs6, but when I open the nDo shortcut without opening the launcher first it always tries to open cc. If I have cs6 open first then click the exact same shortcut it opens nDo directly in cs6. Am I missing something?
  • FedDark
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    FedDark polycounter lvl 7
    Hi! I found what I wanted)
  • peter_trance
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I for one LOVE your software!!!!!!!!
    I have a fantastic suggestion, is it possible to tile in smaller increments, for example if I scale it up from 0 to 1 it doubles the the size, it would be great to have more options for scaling. Also Rotate and nudge would be fantastic! But if you just adjust the scale function I would be satisfied. Thank you!!!
  • aivanis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    There is a bug, I tried to load ID map with transparent background and SUITE crashed. Otherwise, great, but unstable tool. Mac version would be even better, I'm currently using Parallels. And 3Do doesn't support network drive so you have to save project to virtual drive.
  • pirate myke
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Eric Ramberg on 02-13-2015 01:28 AM
    Hi!

make sure your color ID is a flattened png without transparency, that should do the trick!
  • stumpinater
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Quick question, and it could lead to a possible suggestion.

Well its been a few weeks since I was last on QS so it may of already been implemented I cant remember.

So I know you have the ability to create and save custom smart materials for later use again.

My question is, can you share these with other Quixel Suite users, for example, you have the tabs for the different default Smart materials, but how about a custom tab with two parts. My custom SM, and User uploaded SM, basically do we have an option to upload and share our own smart materials?

and if we don't could it be something that can possibly be implemented?
  • Eric Ramberg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Good stuff all around guys, keep em´coming and we´ll keep reading!

Stumpinater - We´ve talked about a good system for sharing materials easily, It´s possible now as well but you need to copy the files manually.
  • malcolm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    malcolm polycount sponsor
    What's the deal with entering sculpt mode in nDo and your normal map disappears, this happens to me all the time. Exiting sculpt mode doesn't bring the layer back and then I have to undo 1000 histories to get it back.
  • Mcbeardo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mcbeardo polycounter lvl 4
    I wonder if it would be possible to create a profile setting in quixel, then create a droplet out of it, so i can connect it to an explorer window?

And simply drag and drop files and will start the profile and render out the settings ive set in the profile to an output folder.

This is easily achievable with photoshop actions and i understand its a bit more difficult to do this with quixel. But from an automation standpoint this would be pretty epic. And id see this as a selling point feature for a lot of companies out there. Including the one iam working at.
  • sugunwar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sugunwar polycounter lvl 8
    Hello, Quixel Team.

I have an idea for your great soft.
    So it is about material ID mask.

Right now I can bake mask from geo in maya or 3dmax with great preset. But if i have just a sculp with polypaint data. Making right mask is a problem.

I solve it like make double time work.
    1. Make a geometry
    2. Make retopology and bake normals and diffuse (if need)
    3. Make a mask ID in photoshop.
    4. Or just polypaint on hd model with clean colors for ID mask and reassign a color for each ID (by swatches colors preset)

So at all.
    Could you make more frendly connection interface for mudbox and zbrush? If users can actually paint ID mask in zbrush\mudbox it will become awesome.

Thanks for you time.
  • Finalhart
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Finalhart polycounter lvl 6
    I just woke up with a super ideaaaa, it's for NDO:

So...is there any way to integrate seam terminator when you work on NDO without doing the usual work of offsetting the image and remove seams. For hard surface there is no problem but when you want to sculpt organic surfaces it would be awesome to do an automatic tiling button so you can sculpt inside photoshop without worrying about seams later.

It can be done manually but you know, more awesome stuff for NDO.
  • Teyon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Teyon polycounter lvl 11
    Hi,

I apologize if this has been asked and answered but will there be direct support for other PBR renderers like Cycles, iRay, etc. ?
  • PlateCaptain
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Teyon wrote: »
    [...] will there be direct support for other PBR renderers like Cycles, iRay, etc. ?

Seconded - Cycles support would be amazing.
  • lordsme
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    lordsme polycounter lvl 8
    Hotkeys to load the current document in 3DO channels (albedo/normal/etc).

I'm using 3DO all the time while painting on my textures but it's annoying to look for the reload button al the time in Custom Loader UI.

A real-time auto update might also be good, but probably resource intensive if it has to go through file exporting, I do work with 4k maps all the time.
  • FedDark
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    FedDark polycounter lvl 7
    Hi Quixel Team! I'm asking for simple feature:
    Ability to set filename for maps will be generated. By now filename takes the name of imported mesh and its not handy cause if I want to set my textures name, I need first to open my mesh in 3d application and set it properly name and export OBJ file, then import it in DDO.
    And the second one: It should be very cool if smart material be able to save layers fx with drop/inner shadows, outer/inner glow and etc. By now it can save only texture overlay fx.
    Thanx!
  • Martin7
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    One feature that i would be endlessly thankfull if it was created, is the fonctional curvature input. I mentionned in a few threads how the curvature input doesn't work and that AO map with high pass filter cannot really work as a curvature input, you usually lose the most important edges.

I see 2 way to resolve that, either create a script for the curvature input that would actually work with a curvature map by making the more blurry mask (medium, big, large and huge) with less contrast. At the moment the script looks fine tuned for tangent normals input only or you have to use high pass filter.

The second option could be to have another curvature option in dynamask. So you could have curvature from normals tab and a curvature from curvature map with an adapted script that would create workable blurry mask. This way also, you could use both normals and curvature map in dynamask, each in a separate tab.

As it is now, i find that a project absolutly needs baked normals to work as expected. I can still use curvature map but as a custom mask. But then you cannot create preset and that's what i'm the most after .... presets. Would be so great to be able to create some from curvature map input.
  • lordsme
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Load recent projects, a list of recent projects to load.
    :)
  • Sands
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    This may be a silly suggestion as there may be a way to do this already, however when custom painting a mask, I'm kind of painting blind as I cannot see my UV layout, I get around this by overlaying a temp layer manually but it doesn't work well if the mask is too busy and in greyscale mode.

I would love a feature where we can plug in our UV template and have it overlay our textures during custom hand painting. If there is a way to do this already then I'm all ears!

Also a feature i'd love to see in DDO is painting in the 3DO window in a 3d environment. Having DDO be able to read the normal map for cavity information during the painting.
  • lordsme
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TGA export with RLE compression enabled. Now DDO seems to export only TGA without RLE compression. A checkbox to enable compression would be fine too.

Custom map name suffixes, I'm often working in pipelines that require custom filenaming for albedo metalness and gloss.
  • oskarkeo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oskarkeo polycounter lvl 10
    A formal request for Pixar Renderman 19 presets for Suite as soon as an opportunity arises.
    As if you' hadn't enough plates spinning already

Hope its a realistic request

thanks
  • drmaddogs
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    How much storage space needed for Mega Scans... full license and all downloads of what you have in storage now. We need to start getting dedicated drives set up.
  • Eric Ramberg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Here is some information about megascans from another thread:

It depends a little on the resolution: for an 8K material with 8bit maps and 32 bit displacement/bump it's around 350MB per material. An object scan with 8K maps (+32 bit displacement) and ztool, highpoly and LODs is 700MB.

Around 80MB per material for 4K, and 200MB for objects with 4K materials and source highpoly meshes and ztools.

At the moment the library holds around 3,000 scanned assets (tileable surfaces, vegetation atlases, natural objects and scatter object packs), and a few thousand scanned brushes. Not everything will all be available at launch but added on little by little during the beta as testing progresses.

All in all the entire library (excluding brushes) takes up little over 1TB at max resolution @ 8 bit and 32 bit displacements.
  • Eric Ramberg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    And thanks for all the suggestions guys!
  • ducktagious
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    click ddo, it opens photoshop but nothing happens? Never had this problem before anyone know what the deal is?
  • shrogg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    shrogg polycounter lvl 12
    I would love to have an option to 'Make Surface' Where you can create different material types without using a base texture. (Things like a flat metal)
  • osakanone
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    This phobia of UV seams needs to die. Its standard in lots of circles for seams to be a total non-issue. DDO and Quixel should not be the exception.

5IDwtrq.png

>M-Muh seams
    >2015

From the technical problems you've described, texture projection onto the mesh itself seems ideal for solving the seams: Just projecting feathered images along the seams specifically to plug up the gaps where they're detected. Its crude but it would probably work in 99% of cases.

The Only Way to Avoid UV Seams You can spend all day making low-compression UVs. And I mean all day which let's be honest: Nobody wants to do that. Time is money: I use your software because it saves me time which makes me money and because it empowers me as an artist. You can nip this in the bud guys, come on: I'd be happy to buy an entirely new licence as a sort of big "3.0" leap for DDO just for this specific problem to be fixed.
  • Lt_Commander
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lt_Commander polycounter lvl 10
    In 3Do, it would be nice to adjust or disable texture filtering. I'm working on a project with super low-rez stuff that's essentially unfiltered pixel art using PBR.

I want to try and leverage dDo for previewing and mat-def tweaking, but I can't get an accurate idea of the finished texture with filtering.
  • shrogg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    shrogg polycounter lvl 12
    It would be fantastic if there was an option to rotate textures. Creating tiling textures using dDo is quite good, however the lack of a rotation option leaves a lot of possible methods of making textures feel more natural out of the question.
  • PlateCaptain
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    shrogg wrote: »
    It would be fantastic if there was an option to rotate textures.

It sounds like texture rotation is already planned for the 1.9 release. You should be getting your wish!
  • zogthedoomed_UK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    zogthedoomed_UK polycounter lvl 8
    colour ID range or fuzzy selection ....

so when you select an ID colour it automatically expands the 1 bit selection to cover a slightly broader range of colour, so mitigating any anti aliasing or fuzzy edges that seem to be difficult to avoid using a zbrush/xNormal pipeline.
This discussion has been closed.