Home General Discussion

Thoughts about polycount handpainted challenge ?

polycounter lvl 12
Offline / Send Message
PyrZern polycounter lvl 12
This is to gauge interest we might or might not have for this.

This could be monthly or weekly challenge. Or bi-monthly or whatever.
This would be along side our already existing character challenge/environment/hard-surface/firearms (what happened to firearms :P ?)

Things we need if we are to do this.
1. Enough interest and people to do it. People feed off excitement from each other :P

2. People with enough knowledge in it. Challenges Polycount host are mostly about practicing and learning. It's obvious getting feedback is important to these. With enough experienced people, the challenges become self-sustaining living things. No need to get judges or anything. Just artists helping artists.

3. Concepts. Easy. Base models to paint on. Not so hard to come by. Though only after we decide what the concept will be for each month/week.

4. Thoughts ??

Ps. Sorry. I'm a part of gaming clan whose motto is 'We just wanna take over the World'. My brain always think of ways to expand... That, and I wanna improve my non-existent hand-painting skills ;P

Replies

• Torch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Torch interpolator
    You mean hand painted as in old school diffuse map painting and that's it? If so I would be down for it!!
  • JacqueChoi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JacqueChoi polycounter
    I remember back in the day when GA had monthly Handpainted contests.

It was pretty amazing.

We saw so many artists improve drastically with regular participation.
  • skankerzero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I always encourage this as long as zbrush is outlawed. It would be nice to make people figure out how light hits surfaces instead of having an automatic solution.
  • JacqueChoi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JacqueChoi polycounter
    I somewhat disagree.

I actually don't care so much about process. Results should be the only thing that matter.

hehe.

(That said, most of my fave hand painted models tend to be created without Zbrush).
  • skankerzero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    process will always be debated, but when I hear 'hand painted' I think just that, 'hand painted from nothing.'

Afterall, a 'hand painted portrait' is not a 'black and white photo with colorized layers over it.'

(I'm simplifying it for sure, but just making an example)
  • Torch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Torch interpolator
    One idea I also thought would be pretty cool for a hand painted monthly challenge (and would be interested to hear other's opinions,) would be to take pre-existing characters from next gen video games and 'de-rez' them, recreating them with a more old-school look.

So say something like Grayson from The Order or Talion from Shadow of Mordor, with around 1-2k tris and a 256/512 diffuse, etc. Still, working from set concepts is also a good option.
  • Magihat
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Magihat ngon master
    Torch wrote: »
    One idea I also thought would be pretty cool for a hand painted monthly challenge (and would be interested to hear other's opinions,) would be to take pre-existing characters from next gen video games and 'de-rez' them, recreating them with a more old-school look.

So say something like Grayson from The Order or Talion from Shadow of Mordor, with around 1-2k tris and a 256/512 diffuse, etc. Still, working from set concepts is also a good option.
    Thats a great idea! It's always interesting to see how someone decides to capture the essence of an established character when a 1-1 transition is virtually impossible. I would totally be up for that.
  • Ruz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruz polycount lvl 666
    better get the smudge tool out of storage:)
  • PyrZern
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah, I thought this would be like only Diffuse. No AO baking as base. No highres sculpt details. Just low poly model and concept to work from.

Someone has to provide the challenge with nicely modelled and UV'ed mesh each month though :P
  • Jeff Parrott
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeff Parrott polycounter lvl 19
    Diffuse only, no photograph allowed in texture (overlays or direct rips).

Zbrush however you model and get your base I guess. Just no baking texture maps out.

Personally I would love to see the weekly art jams come back. I made a ton of cool stuff during those and gained a few levels. Not that I have that much time for any of this. I would love to see people do this and improve though.
  • JedTheKrampus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JedTheKrampus polycounter lvl 8
    Make it happen
  • Sukotto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sukotto polycounter lvl 8
    Diffuse only, no photograph allowed in texture (overlays or direct rips).

Zbrush however you model and get your base I guess. Just no baking texture maps out.

Personally I would love to see the weekly art jams come back. I made a ton of cool stuff during those and gained a few levels. Not that I have that much time for any of this. I would love to see people do this and improve though.

Agreed. I'd love to do some more art jams, perfect amount of time to whip something up
  • SpaceRogue
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SpaceRogue polycounter lvl 3
    I'd love to pitch in when I can !

Buuuuuut I only use Zbrush, no textures/alpha's just plain painting of course. I just want to see the thing I'm painting lets face it flat UV maps are not fun to paint on.
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    No sculpting/baking out lighting/ao/etc makes sense. However, no zbrush or other 3d painting tools doesn't make any sense, hand painted is hand painted whether you do it in 2d or 3d is just a question of tools/workflow.
  • Wells
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wells polycounter lvl 18
    I'd be down for this.

Need to get back into actually making art.
  • PyrZern
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I think painting diffuse in ZBrush or 3D Coat or Photoshop or anything should be fine.
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    planar mapping and 256 colors only
  • Wells
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wells polycounter lvl 18
  • JamesArk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JamesArk polycounter lvl 10
    I'd be down regardless of rules. Sounds fun.
  • garcellano
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    garcellano greentooth
    I'd be down to do this, too.
  • Deathstick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Deathstick polycounter lvl 7
    Totally interested as long as I can use Corel painter. Death to smudge tools, chello to simulated oil blends :D
  • Fwap
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fwap polycounter lvl 13
    I'm down for the brown.
  • anglorum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    anglorum polycounter lvl 6
  • MalloryW
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MalloryW polycounter lvl 14
  • Odow
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Odow polycounter lvl 8
    Hum, maybe not a contest because the word "contest" make people go crazy about rule and law and in the end it became a mess, just an Handpaint Monthly Art Jam.

That way, it allows people to do whatever they want and learn about technique. I'm all about the "meh baking AO on zbrush is cheating blabla" but that's the fast workflow, it doesn't change that some people still do awesome stuff without baking anything ! If it's an art jam, no drama because of rule or software use. Just people who love hand painting, sharing their art and helping each other !

We could choose each month 3 category so everyone can gave it a go:

-A cool prop, could be a weapon or anything else ( for people who lack time)
    - A creature or a character
    - A small environment ( like a airship, a house, a oak tree with a tomb, a well, etc it's environment but it's not crazy big)

This is my personal preference but and I wouldn't go for the "I gave you a concept art to do" but a Theme ! (We could also go thematic with season and holidays)

For example:
    Environment: Witch Cottage House
    Props: Witch's Accessories
    Character: Witch

This example let people go crazy, it could be a cute little witch, a sexy woman or a evil oldbag. She could like in a candy cottage or a scary haunted house. She could use super vacuum because broom are over rated, or have a necromancer spell book !

On the other hand we could do strict stuff (imo we should alternate)
    Environment: Fantasy Pirate Airship
    Character: Pirate with a crazy moustache who love eccentric hat
    Props: a Weapon used by air pirate involving the use of chicken eggs.

It strict but it still let people imagine stuff. In my opinion it gave way less boring result than just giving out a concept art, people got tired fast of those and the second they don't really love what was choose they don't participate, while if we let a certain liberty, people tend to enjoy it more ! And nothing forced people to not find a concept art fitting the requisite and sharing it !

Also, cartoon concept artist could enter our artjam since it share the same basic knowledge of painting, colour and light.

Sorry for my english, i'm french and dying of fever >3<

tl;dr: 3 categories: Props, character, small environment, using thematic and not concept art
  • PyrZern
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Odow Your English is fine. And I love your idea :P

Do people want to use the same model and get to paint the texture, or do people want to make their own models as well ?
  • Torch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Torch interpolator
    Nice ideas Odow!

Probably would be better if people could create their own models, like the other monthly challenges. Just allows them more artistic freedom :)
  • Magihat
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Magihat ngon master
    PyrZern wrote: »
    Do people want to use the same model and get to paint the texture, or do people want to make their own models as well ?
    Personally I would be fine with either but it would be a great place to tighten up your UV-layout and poly management so I am leaning towards doing your own model as well.
  • Odow
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Odow polycounter lvl 8
    I'm glad you love my idea ^-^ I prefer the idea of creating own model too. Everyone doing the same thing is boring. Would be so much funnier to just stick with a theme and see what everyone did ! It's better to keep everything easier.

Giving a uv model to everyone would mean someone have to do it every month, if we keep it simple and with more liberty people will enjoy themselves more ! Also it's boring to watch at the same thing with small variation 20time, personally i can't follow the monthly challenge because after 2 pages i'm bored it's always the same thing, the same problem everyone have, same trick and recommendation.
  • Jeff Parrott
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeff Parrott polycounter lvl 19
    This was a great way to set stuff up. Similar would be awesome.

http://www.polycount.com/forum/showpost.php?p=1763508&postcount=1
  • PyrZern
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Great. If people do their own models, that will make it much simpler.

Now, we just need to agree on how to pick the 3 themes for each month.
    - Prop
    - Envo
    - Character

Either by voting a week before, or by having someone select it (could rotate the person as well)
  • Torch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Torch interpolator
    You could do it with the same system as the old Art jams, where people can do any of the categories you mentioned, but we just have a set theme for each challenge.
  • Odow
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Odow polycounter lvl 8
    We could do a handpaint skype community group [so people who are willing to share or help each other can do it !] and decide there. We take every good suggestion and we put them in a randomizer or people who interest in "administrating" it decide.

Personally i have a lot of free time, ideas and i could prepare some pinterest mood board for each theme to help people. (I'm a pinterest Queen haha)

Also, should we welcome cartoon concept/illustrator artist in our artjam ?

My opinion is that we should, since it share similar skill, also some people could use their work to reproduce in 3D.
  • PyrZern
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Those in favor of appointing Odow as our leader, raise your Spock hand :)
  • JedTheKrampus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JedTheKrampus polycounter lvl 8
  • Snafubar7
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snafubar7 polycounter lvl 8
    I'm down for this skype group and art jam. Please post when you make the group? I would, but it seems like people elected you, Odow. lol
  • Odow
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Odow polycounter lvl 8
    That escalated quickly haha. You can call me Your highness. JK This isn't going to be monarchy but a galactic senate where each of you have a right to talk.

The group is ready, Just add me :) Please Add that you're from polycount when adding me.

Skype: LadyOdow (from canada, my avatar will be polycount logo for the next day, I really doubt there's another LadyOdow but who know)

March is coming tomorrow so everyone up tonight to talk about it i'm waiting for you :)
  • Snafubar7
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snafubar7 polycounter lvl 8
    cmon guys! There's a whole three of us in here.
  • PyrZern
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ... I can't remember my Skype acct #_#
    It sends reset password to my old Yahoo Mail, which I don't remember the password either.

... Now I am locked out of my Skype acct.
    ROFL!

I been using Google Hangout lately for art stuff.
  • Odow
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Odow polycounter lvl 8
    Haha I had the same issue recently i just created another account. It's doing crap because of the merger with hotmail.

I guess if a majory of people prefer google hangout we can go on it too, I don't know anything about it however :<
  • PyrZern
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It's a 10 person conference call. With VoiP and Chat, and Screen Sharing. Those are the pros. The cons is that it's capped at 10 ppl at any given time. And it's only useful if ppl are on at the same time. Meaning we need to have good bodycount for it to work. Otherwise ppl would just use Polycount Main Hangout. (which is fine too). If we keep the challenge/art-jam thread active with feedback and comments.
  • darkmag07
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    darkmag07 polycounter lvl 12
    Aw snap. Handpainting challenges sound awesome!

I'd second the theme strategy rather than always providing concepts directly since I think variation could be nice.
  • Odow
  • iadagraca
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    iadagraca polycounter lvl 5
    I love doing handpainted stuff so i'm all for it! I should be less busy soon

Not particularly confident in my own designs but i'd love to try!