Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

After years of Neglect. . . I updated my website!

polycounter lvl 16
Offline / Send Message
Tumerboy polycounter lvl 16
Well, it has definitely been like, 4 or 5 years since I last touched my website, and it was in sore need of a redo.

What I've done is not the prettiest thing ever, but it's as functional as I can think to make it. Maybe I'll dress it up later.

Anyway, take a look, and let me know what you think:

http://www.tumerboy.com

Thanks.

Replies

• Orgoth02
    Offline / Send Message
    Orgoth02 polycounter lvl 9
    Ok seriously...this is the worst website that I have ever seen. You say that it is functional but that couldnt be more wrong. I had to set my zoom to 50% just to see 1/4 of the page. You need to look up how to do some basic html because you cant even use this right now.
  • SouthpawSid
    Offline / Send Message
    SouthpawSid polycounter lvl 7
    what browser are you using Orgoth02? I am on chrome and it's looking fine to me.

Tumerboy, I like your environment work! As fas as the website goes, looks fine to me. your work is immediately seen on the front page as it should be, everything reads, nice job mate!
  • Two Listen
    Offline / Send Message
    Two Listen polycount sponsor
    Took a look in both Opera and Firefox, and it looked fine on both. Not sure what issue you're having, Orgoth, but it's not a widespread issue.

Looks nice Nick, everything's easy to find and looking sharp. I could argue the need for a couple commas in the second sentence on the page, but other than that...looks nice. Art's easy to find, loads up fine and fast for me.
  • Havok
    Offline / Send Message
    Havok polycounter lvl 14
    What are you talking about, Orgoth? Maybe I am missing something but it's fine for me...

No glaring problems I can see right off the bat but maybe others may notice a thing or two. I really like portfolios (or any websites) that use darker colors, good for me eyes. Looks good to me, man :).
  • duoxan
    Offline / Send Message
    duoxan polycounter lvl 17
    orgoth is a hater
    its funcional, it gets the job done. i like it but some more color variation might spruce it up. like i said though, this works fine.
  • bounchfx
    looks good for me. if you're using IE8 you deserve it ! ;) jk.

I like the site. good work on there too.
  • ZacD
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    Yeah in IE its broken.

Looks nice in FF though.
  • Two Listen
    Offline / Send Message
    I haven't touched HTML since I was 15, but looking at it quick - I don't suppose specifying "px" after the dimensions would fix anything?

So like...<table width=900px>, As opposed to simply 900?

If I'm so far off base as to make this a joke, my bad.
  • Tumerboy
    Offline / Send Message
    Wow ya, it's definitely borked in IE 8, but I have no fucking idea why!? I'm using the simplest HTML there is. Nothing fancy, just tables.

My table is set to 900px wide, so even someone running at 1024x768 should be able to see this. . .

I'll have to figure out what IE is trying to do with it. Bizarre. . .

Every other browser I looked at it in worked absolutely fine.

Apparently it has something to do with the style sheet, and specifically the style I have applied to my thumbnails. 3px border is somehow (in IE8 only) being expanded to hundreds of pixels. . .
  • javi
    Offline / Send Message
    javi polycounter lvl 16
    Hmm, you could try changing from pt to px in your css, IE may have issues rendering that out.

Aside from that, cool site, its simple and it works (for a bunch of us at least!).
  • Two Listen
    Offline / Send Message
    Edit: Above got me.
  • Tumerboy
    Offline / Send Message
    Ok, I have confirmed all of our suspicions. IE is fucking retarded.

The issue was with items in my style sheet which listed a border width (i.e. images, tables, etc.) and then a color. I would list the width, and then the color (Just the hex number), i.e.:
    "border=3px 333333"

Every other browser in the universe could figure out what the fuck I meant by this. IE was like, "Hmm, he must want a border that's 3333333 pixels wide, right?"

Adding # in front of all of my colors fixed it for i.e.

Thanks for looking guys, let me know if you see any other odities.
  • n88tr
    If the Index is your Gallery/Portfolio, why link it on top? I don't get that...
  • Tumerboy
    Offline / Send Message
    Because when you go to the Resume/Contact pages, you might want to go back to the gallery? Most people will use the back button. . . but it doesn't hurt to add functionality where you can? (just my thought on it anyway)
  • Orgoth02
    Offline / Send Message
    Yep working fine now. Better we catch it then a potential employer
  • Tumerboy
    Offline / Send Message
    Well, thanks, but I don't know why you had to be so fucking hostile about it.
    Just stating that it wasn't working for you in IE would have been sufficient.
  • duxun
    im on firefox and its fine for me great work mate !!!!
  • SouthpawSid
    Offline / Send Message
    SouthpawSid polycounter lvl 7
    yup, I wans't going to say it in my first post, but I figured the Orgoth02 was looking at it in IE. IE fail!!
  • [HP]
    Offline / Send Message
    [HP] polycounter lvl 13
    Goes to show how IE is, has always been and it will always be the worst browser there is, still people use it! :( I haven't checked statistics lately, but afaik IE still is the most used browser.

Website is ok, not a fan of the colors, since that green / brown you used for the outlines are not the most awesome color ever. But the content is all there and it's shown instantly to the viewer and that's important.
  • JasonLavoie
    Offline / Send Message
    JasonLavoie polycounter lvl 18
    Wut Wut in the butt Nick, this is looking nice. Easy to navigate, easy to view pieces (I like how the entire gallery is linked so you just keep on pressing the next button and it cycles through everything).

Nice nice :)
  • Tumerboy
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks guys. Ya I'll play with the colors more, or maybe do some more graphical work for it later. I just wanted to get something functional up and running for now. Can anyone confirm that it works ok in IE for them now? (seems to on my end, I'm just paranoid)
  • JasonLavoie
    Offline / Send Message
    JasonLavoie polycounter lvl 18
    Its all good here man (Using IE at work).
  • Orgoth02
    Offline / Send Message
    Tumerboy wrote: »
    Well, thanks, but I don't know why you had to be so fucking hostile about it.
    Just stating that it wasn't working for you in IE would have been sufficient.
    I call them like I see them. Don't take it personally but, what I was seeing was the worst website I have seen. If you would of submitted that for a job you would of looked like an idoit. Reguardless of what browser Im using it is your job to make sure that it works across the board. You fixed the problem and it looks fine now. Do you have any personal work not related to Champions to show off? The stuff from the game is cool but is rather dull.
  • raul
    Offline / Send Message
    raul polycounter lvl 11
    Your work is pretty cool! And the site is nice and simple. My only question, and im sorry if i sound like a dumbass for asking this. But, on your resume. It says lead for kriptic studios, which is awesome! :) But then the thing for borders, how is that relevant for an industry job? I mean, im just saying...i worked at walmart for 5 years, and the last 2 were as dept manager but i dont think anywayone would care, maybe hr would. i dunno.
  • low odor
    Offline / Send Message
    low odor polycounter lvl 17
    Champions has a cool style..I dug it ..it wasn't trying to be a carbon copy... my 2 cents on that...website works fine..presents your work without hassle..good job man
  • Mark Dygert
    Awesome Nick! I like the layout, the content is great too.

It works in firefox and IE for me.
    In IE 64bit when I'm browsing the images, the frame collapses and expands as the image loads and the outline around the buttons is blue and purple, kind of distracting. In IE 32bit or any other browser its fine.

I really like the foggy port scene, the library, the train yard and the grave yard, those are awesome. The furniture renders and the kitchen renders are pretty awesome, I would love to see more stuff presented that way.

I'm not a big fan of the "Unnamed project X Canceled". It would be better if the dino rider/Conan guy where not in the shots.
  • Tumerboy
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks guys, glad it's mostly working.

Ya, Raul, I'm with you on that. I wasn't sure if it was worth putting in or not. . . I guess I'm still not sure. :/

Mark, I'll change those arrows to be border=0 and it should filx the blue/purple outlines. Good catch.

And yes, I wish I had taken good shots without the characters while I was on that project, sadly it's pretty much done and buried at this point, so I have to work with what I have. . . The majority of my /screenshots folder for that game were all utilitarian shots to show someone else on the team an error or something. I think I still have the models & textures for some of those pieces though, and if I can get some time, maybe I'll render some of those out with wires and texture sheets.

I didn't even bother including anything from City of Heroes/Villains. I looked through those shots and just cringed. . . Anyone got opinions on this? I guess I felt it was better to just show what I currently feel looks ok? Or is it better to at least have SOME representation of all projects (even if they are 5 years old and hideous by today's standards)?

Oh, and no, I'm lazy, and like to actually PLAY games in my off time, so I don't have any personal work I'm willing to actually show off. . . I supposed I should try to do more on my own. . .
  • Crash
    Offline / Send Message
    Crash polycounter lvl 18
    Layout is fine, screenshots/renders are tiny. Might want to up the rez on those, when you click em. A lot of the detail in them gets lost, imo. :P

Also, I'd include the COH(V) stuff. They might look "bad" now, but for the standard back then, not so much. If nothing else, it will show your progress as an artist.
  • Tumerboy
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks Crash, click on them again and you should get a (nearly) 1680x1050
    Maybe I need to make that more obvious?
  • jtravers
    Looks good in firefox 3.6.6. Is that gallery straight up html? It works really good. A quick look at the source and I didn't detect any javascript.
  • Tumerboy
    Offline / Send Message
    Nah, just HTML, no need to clutter things up. a href= works fine for me. It's not THAT hard to add another page once you've got the template set up.
  • Tumerboy
    Offline / Send Message
    Alright, little more neutral on the colors, included the image size in the image tags, so that IE 64 can deal with it. Removed the border from the gallery arrows.

Thanks again guys.
  • ceebee
    Offline / Send Message
    ceebee polycounter lvl 14
    Minimalistic and easy to navigate. Good stuff duder.
  • Shogun3d
    Offline / Send Message
    Shogun3d polycounter lvl 12
    Looks great, Google Chrome here. Nice work on Champions m8, simple and fast html.

I think Orgath02 could have been a bit more tactful in communicating the broken site on IE8.