Home Contests & Challenges Archives

[Dota 2] - Naga Siren - Parasitic Corruption

polycounter lvl 11
Offline / Send Message
Turret polycounter lvl 11
Hey everyone, time to jump on the runaway band wagon. I have been tossing this idea around for a couple days and this is what I have so far. I wanted to create a darker armor set for the Naga Siren. I imagined along her travels she came across some creatures with great power which promised to help her regain her honor. The only problem was price they asked for this help. I want the armor to look very organic and wrapped around her or growing out of her. There are parts I am still unhappy with in the concept but I am hoping to improvise a bit in zbrush and work out those kinks in 3d. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

UPDATE:
There, that looks better. Thanks to everyone who helped me out and gave me good feedback. Good luck to everyone =D
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=111502208
corruptionset.jpg

parasitenagasirenset.jpg

Replies

• skrap'D
    That looks really awesome, definitely the one on the right. The color scheme matches her really well.
  • rory
    Offline / Send Message
    rory polycounter lvl 5
    Very cool concept. Right one feels just a little too saturated to me. Maybe pulling the saturation down on just the waist part might help.
  • Turret
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah the left version is just more desaturated and with yellow lights, the best version will probably be somewhere in between the two.
  • D4V1DC
    Offline / Send Message
    D4V1DC polycounter lvl 18
    Yea more of this, I love the saturated color version, woot make it happen.
  • Sharc
    Offline / Send Message
    Sharc polycounter lvl 7
    A very interesting theme, I'd love to see where this goes.
  • Spudnik
    Offline / Send Message
    Spudnik polycounter lvl 11
    Loving the concept! Git 'er done!
  • marul
    Offline / Send Message
    marul polycounter lvl 7
    Love this one. No weapons?:poly122:
  • Turret
    Offline / Send Message
    Glad to see people liking the general idea of this, after looking at it for so long I was starting to second guess it. I am more happy with it after working on it in zbrush though. Here is a small update on setting up the base meshes. I like this new shoulder piece a lot more and it will most likely be staying like that. I have a whole new setup for the waist armor. Without noticing I made a face and I thought it was pretty neat, would like feedback on it though, face or no face. Was working on making a zbrush tentacle brush, but the settings were being buggy so that is not in there yet. Anyway, lay the critiques on me, this is going to be changing a lot while I improvise and experiment in zbrush.

Also Marul there will be weapons, I have a few ideas for them I just wanted to start sculpting asap.

zbrushbase.jpg
  • Turret
    Offline / Send Message
    Still tossing around ideas for the waist armor so I went and finished up the parts I know I like. Here is the helmet. I wanted to make it more gross and parasitic so I made the webbing more like a membrane and added those large blobs which will glow in the end. Will finish up the shoulder armor next and then figure something out for the waist. So much to do so little time.

headfy.jpg
  • Coridium
    Offline / Send Message
    Coridium polycounter lvl 10
    cool head piece, nice work. Personally I'm not 100% sure about the spherical parts but I understand that you are trying to get a sealife feel into it.
  • Turret
    Offline / Send Message
    Coridium: I added in those spheres because I needed something that looked like corruption. They will be spread throughout the armor and with the textures I think they will look pretty cool, at least I hope so. =P

Small update here. Adjusted the head to bring it back some to the original concept. I redid the fins so it is more fish-like. I took out the bulbs in the middle of the headpiece and the small tentacle around the face so I would have the polys to extend the bulbs around the fins. In the end I figured the polys would be better placed there to push the silhouette and the overall design further and would be noticed more from a distance. Also have screenshots of the sword.

From here I just need to finish up the armor and I have plans for the tail but we will see if I will have the time.
    newheadz.jpg
    swordb.jpg
  • Spudnik
    Offline / Send Message
    Spudnik polycounter lvl 11
    Something seems a bit off about the sword, I think it's that it's very flimsy right after the hilt. I can see what you were trying to accomplish but I think you need to work on the overall shape a bit more for the sword, make it flow better.
  • c0ldhands
    Offline / Send Message
    c0ldhands polycounter lvl 15
    From a fellow Naga Siren contestant to another, that armor peice or her front belly is a mess to reskin later, most of the people making costumes for this hero have avoided this issue. Take a look at ingame animation and you figure it out, I too am strugling with this issue.
  • Turret
    Offline / Send Message
    YAY, extension! I am glad I will have some more time to work out the kinks in my design.

Spudnik: I thickened up the inside curve of the blade a tad, hopefully it feels better now. I will continue to think of things to adjust.

coldhands: Thanks for the info, I scraped the frontal armor and decided to go with things hanging off to the side. Hopefully this will keep things nice and simple for integration into the game.

Now for this update. I realized that I wouldn't have the polys to create nice smooth singular tentacles so I basically made a sleeve out of them to save polys but still keep the tentacles in the design. Now it looks like the parasite on her shoulder has completely taken over her arm. First time I have put all the armor pieces together, can already see I need to lower that left shoulder piece so it doesn't collide with the head. Going to start the retopo and see how many polys I have to work with and as I do I will still be thinking about the overall look of the set. Any and all feedback welcome.

fullarmorrenders.jpg

armorrender.jpg
  • Anuxinamoon
    Offline / Send Message
    Anuxinamoon polycounter lvl 14
    Swwt I love the changes you made! Looking forward to the textures :D
  • Bold Elf
    This set looks great :) and as Anuxinamoon I'm looking forward to seeing the textures :D. I want to see how they read on the designated poly budgets etc :) should look mint. keep up the good work :)
  • Clyptic
    Offline / Send Message
    Clyptic polycounter lvl 6
    Looking pretty awesome!
  • Turret
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the kind words everyone. I have been following your naga siren threads Anuxinamoon and wow, amazing stuff. =)

Fresh from the oven! Fitting everything within the poly budget was interesting but I think it will pass, have to remember it will be viewed from quite the distance. I need to fix the end of the fins around the waist but that is about it. I have a good idea for how the colors will work so expect an update soon. And if I have time it would be cool to be able to make a tail.

lowpolybake.jpg
  • ENODMI
    Offline / Send Message
    ENODMI polycounter lvl 14
  • D4V1DC
    Offline / Send Message
    D4V1DC polycounter lvl 18
    Oh yea now we are cooking :) colors will be sick I am sure!
  • Turret
    Offline / Send Message
    Here is an update on the sword. Trying out a couple things and colors. I know its late but Hopefully I can get some feedback before everyone goes to bed. I made the blade on the left first but now that I see the darker one on the model I am leaning towards that. It makes the blade look sharper.

Also if anyone can shed some light on what the red and green channels of the mask 1 texture should look like it would be a great help. Have never made a Fresnel warp map and not entirely sure what the detail map is for.

swordtest.jpg
  • ENODMI
    Offline / Send Message
    ENODMI polycounter lvl 14
    Im pretty sure that both those maps aren't supported by this character. The first channel is a detail map, or a secondary texture that gets tiled over the primary diffuse. It's usually a special effect, like lava, fire, poop. The second channel determines the angle in which specular is returned to the camera... which is also not supported by this character. So basically, dont worry about them:)
  • Turret
    Offline / Send Message
    Well that makes things simple, thanks. =)
  • Anuxinamoon
    Offline / Send Message
    Haha I really like where this is going :D Keep it up!!

When in doubt about masks, copy the colours from the original :p
  • Naso
    When in doubt about masks, copy the colours from the original :p

Hahahaha, your secret is out!

But yeah, I really like this set, good stuff.
  • Turret
    Offline / Send Message
    Haven't been able to update as much as I would like due to the holidays but here is a quick one. This doesn't have a real spec map on it, just the diffuse plugged in twice and an emissive to test things out. I decided to change the carapace/shell color from black to that sea greenish, let me know what you all think. The sword has similar changes and I enlarged the orange patterns so they will read better from a distance. I would like to get these models and textures into the game soon so I can see how they look there.
    helmettests.jpg
  • Turret
    Offline / Send Message
    Just a quick setup in marmoset of the full set. Need to make the mask 1 and 2 textures for the helmet and armor still, set up the LODs, and then I can throw these up on steam and see how they look there. Let me know what you all think.
    fullsetd.jpg
    fulldistance.jpg
  • bounchfx
    Looks intense man. I love how unique it is.
  • demondance
    Keep it up... I like it

But it should be awesome if make something on her chest like Octopus concept on your first post. Make her more charming and less blank chest bug.
  • lotrein
    Is it ok to mix so much purple in her color pallete? Still, love the head item, great job.
  • Naso
    Maybe a little less saturation on the purple, but that's just a texture problem, the model looks amazing!
  • Turret
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the feedback everyone.

Demondance : I really wish I could have fit something to go across her chest like the original concept but even like this it was really close to fitting within the poly limits.

lotrein/Naso : I will take a look at trying out some color and saturation variation on the purple fins.

For now though small update. I am trying to bust out a tail item asap so here is the hi poly from zbrush, making the low poly right now and hopefully texture it tomorrow. I have made all the mask1/2 textures for the rest of the items and all the LODs are ready for uploading to the store.
    tailzbrush.jpg
  • demondance
    Well tail, i will buy your set immidiately if in implemented on store.

Good job.
  • Turret
    Offline / Send Message
    UPDATE!!! Getting down to the wire here, but here is the tail textures. Need to still test out some other colors for the purple fins and make the spec maps for this asset, but should have everything together by tomorrow so I can upload them to the workshop. Still need to figure out how to do all of that. Probably shouldn't have saved it for the last day. ha
    tailrc.jpg
  • Clyptic
    Offline / Send Message
    Clyptic polycounter lvl 6
    Nice textures!
  • Turret
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks Clyptic. Here is a quick shot of some fin variations. I wish I had a concept artist, at this point I am out of ideas. Worst case I just stick with the purple which I don't think would be too bad. So let me know which one you all like more.
    finvariations.jpg
  • lotrein
    I really like bottom left, not too bright, has a good amount of smooth blue color and enough purple as you wanted. Make all fins like that! I will be waiting for the final version
  • Turret
    Offline / Send Message
    I am leaning towards the darker ones as well. I know people are busy with getting their own sets ready for submission but I can really use some quick feedback, choose your flavor!!! =)
    3flavors.jpg
  • Gittum
    Salt & Vinegar is really nice and would look good on both Dire and Radiant sides as well as Night and Day cycles.
  • demondance
    Yeh, your color theme is purple. So number 2 is a best choice. But number 3 is not bad enough.

For me, number 3 (the first one in second row) is better than number 2 because it fit all head 's color theme.

All depend on your, but for me, I choose number 3.
  • bounchfx
    yeah I dig S&V but make sure you look at her from player camera-size to make sure the stripes dont get too noisy. Maybe try less, but bigger shapes? Just a thought!
  • demondance
    Turret wrote: »
    I am leaning towards the darker ones as well. I know people are busy with getting their own sets ready for submission but I can really use some quick feedback, choose your flavor!!! =)
    3flavors.jpg

Can you make the waves of number 2 brighter ?

If not number 3.
  • Turret
    Offline / Send Message
    thanks for the feedback, keep it coming. I kinda like the noisy chaotic patterns but will probably go back and make them bigger and fewer so they read better. I get caught up in the details and keep forgetting how big it will really be in game. Also wow, I can't believe I spelled original wrong. It is getting late here.
  • lotrein
    You have my cheers and support! Finish this baby asap!
  • Turret
    Offline / Send Message
    In the process of painting weights. The swords (that was easy) and helmet are ready for upload. But I ran into an issue with the tail. The weights are directly copied over from the original and work and bend all the same way in maya, but in game I get this gap opening up. Any help would be greatly appreciated. (also sorry for such a low res image)
    problemump.jpg
  • Anuxinamoon
    Offline / Send Message
    I have that gap in mine, coping weights from the original didnt help me one iota! You need to be very finicky with them
    Some on root, some on hip 1 some on hip 2 and I think the middle top needs to be bound slightly to one of the armours. :<
  • Turret
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks Anuxinamoon, just glad to know I am not the only one who had this problem. At this point I am taking it vertex by vertex and checking the component editor and copying the weight's decimal numbers. XD
  • Turret
    Offline / Send Message
    UGGGG, anything and everything that can go wrong at the last minute always do. I tiny bit late but we will see how strict valve is on the time limit. Hopefully they can overlook 20minutes. >_> If not this was still a great learning experience and had a lot of fun making this set. I will make some nicer preview images now that I am not ripping my hair out. Thanks to everyone who helped me out and gave me good feedback. Good luck to everyone =D
    scorruption.jpg
  • Turret
    Offline / Send Message
    There, done. Time to pass out.
    corruptionset.jpg
  • lotrein
    Great set, well done!