I am just curious what anime you guys are watching what you suggest
currently just wrapped up:
Kill La Kill
Gurren Lagann
Full Metal Alchemist: Brotherhood
Fate Zero
Death Note
Sword Art Online

I was just wondering what you guys were watching that was good and whether or not you have any suggestions.

Replies

• Blaisoid
    Offline / Send Message
    Blaisoid polycounter lvl 7
    well, these days I don't watch anything... finding good series in the sea of crap has become just too difficult for me. :p
    It feels like each next season is more and more full of mediocre titles so I switched to reading japanese comic books instead.

That said I recently gave Sidonia no Kishi a try, since it's an adaptation of Tsutomu Nihei's work.
    CG people are a bit painful to look at though.
  • praetus
    Offline / Send Message
    praetus interpolator
    Lately I've been watching:
    • Parasyte
    • Aldnoah:Zero
    • Fate Stay Night: Ultimate Blade Works
    • and I finished up Tokyo Ghoul, but it was somewhat of a let down.

I have some other stuff I watch that's minor, but those are the big ones I've been following lately.
  • juniez
    Offline / Send Message
    juniez polycounter lvl 10
    jojo's bizarre adventure, op
  • Shadownami92
    Offline / Send Message
    Shadownami92 polycounter lvl 7
    I've been going through Detective Conan from the start. On episode 205, still got a good supply of episodes to last me the rest of my life.
  • aesir
    Offline / Send Message
    aesir polycounter lvl 18
    Sidonia no Kishi
  • ghaztehschmexeh
    Haven't really been watching much recently, last I watched was Psycho-pass (which was a lot better than I thought it would be). I need to finish Planetes and start Psycho-pass 2. Kinda disappointed with the stuff being churned out in recent seasons, seems like 90% is moe-shit.

Also watched the movie paprika recently. I really enjoyed it - and an amazing (if a bit suitably crazy) soundtrack.

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4M_3igofTZg"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4M_3igofTZg[/ame]

I complain about moeshit but I did get a little thing of mai waifu the other day, lol

2798b805d6.jpg

I apologise for being the biggest weeaboo.
  • [Deleted User]
    Offline / Send Message
    [Deleted User] polycounter lvl 3
    Blaisoid wrote: »
    That said I recently gave Sidonia no Kishi a try, since it's an adaptation of Tsutomu Nihei's work.

Whoaaaa, how did I miss it? When did it come out?
  • Blaisoid
    Offline / Send Message
    not sure, 1-2 months ago I guess.

I'd say that environments lost a lot of charm compared to the original, they don't feel very Nihei-esque. Some stuff turned out pretty cool though.
  • Zocky
    Offline / Send Message
    Zocky greentooth
    Watching Sidonia no kishi here as well. Cool stuff, but kinda still not completely sold on cgi-only visuals. I'm kinda big fan of 2d stuff, there's just something about it.

Started to watch Kara no kyoukai movie series (7 or 8 movies iirc)...this is REALLY cool stuff.

On watching Arslan senki, it just started, iirc, 2 or so eps are out. Seems to be rather interesting and a setting i don't really see in animes a lot either...
  • heboltz3
    Offline / Send Message
    heboltz3 polycounter lvl 9
    jojo.

jojo until the end of time.
  • teaandcigarettes
    Offline / Send Message
    teaandcigarettes polycounter lvl 12
    Jojo is so fucking good. I loved part 2, but Stardust Crusaders is even better. I've been really tempted to just give up on waiting for new episodes and just get the manga.

Haven't really looked at much else this season. Might start watching Sidonia, the first season was surprisingly decent for a CG anime. Probably the only good adaptation of Nihei's work. Maybe one day I will see a proper adaptation of Blame!

I've been also watching Monster again from time to time on my second screen while working, but boy does it drag.

I should also finish the Gundam Reconguista. I think I stopped at episode 18 or so. It didn't really grab me all that much and half the time I had no idea what was going on, but I loved the 70's aesthetic it had.
  • TAN
    Offline / Send Message
    TAN polycounter lvl 12
    I go seasonal.

Here are the ones I watch for this season:

J5pIEdC.jpg
  • RitualSynergY
    Offline / Send Message
    RitualSynergY greentooth
    Fate stay night
    Ace of the Diamond
    Kuroko's Basketball
    Gintama
    Hunter X Hunter (again ^^)
  • Finalhart
    Offline / Send Message
    Finalhart polycounter lvl 6
  • iadagraca
    Offline / Send Message
    iadagraca polycounter lvl 5
    I just finished shirobako, it'a an assume about making amine.

The concluding episodes are one of three things that have ever moved me to tears watching.

Highly recommended for everyone.
  • R3D
    Offline / Send Message
    R3D interpolator
    Shokugeki no Soma, Kuroko no Basket, and Shingeki no Kyojin.

Going to probably rewatch Ping Pong for a third time soon.

ping-pong-2.png
  • Ispheria
    Offline / Send Message
    Ispheria polycounter lvl 3
    You need to watch Death Parade, don't read anything about it, cause it will spoil the first episode. Fate Stay Night Unlimited Blade Works is basically the prettiest anime ever, if you haven't somehow watched Attack on Titan yet, watch that at last til the opening song changes (I think there's a possibility since you're just now finishing Death Note).

I also recommend Stein's;Gate and Psycho Pass (but not the second season). And my favorite anime of all time, The World God Only Knows, but it's a romantic comedy, so it might not be to your taste.

As for what I'm actually watching this season:
    Nisekoi Second Season
    Oregairu Zoku
    Plastic Memories (though I'll probably stop, it's not what I wanted at all)
    Kuroko No Basuke
  • aesir
    Offline / Send Message
    aesir polycounter lvl 18
    Yea, Death Parade. That one is excellent.
  • GrevSev
    Offline / Send Message
    GrevSev polycounter lvl 9
    Currently watching Owari no Seraph. The animation and effects are great so any action scenes should be nice.

Id recommend Ghost in the shell the movies and SAC/2nd Gig
  • sziada
    Offline / Send Message
    sziada polycounter lvl 11
    started checking out the ghost in a shell series and they are pretty decent,

also I am hanging out for the next season of Attack on Titan getting so excited for next year!
  • SuperFranky
    Offline / Send Message
    SuperFranky polycounter lvl 10
    Shokugeki no Souma. It's a lot of fun, but leaves you very hungry after every episode :)
  • teaandcigarettes
    Offline / Send Message
    teaandcigarettes polycounter lvl 12
    Ryswick wrote: »
    Shokugeki no Soma, Kuroko no Basket, and Shingeki no Kyojin.

Going to probably rewatch Ping Pong for a third time soon.

Ping Pong :thumbup: Never thought that a show about ping pong could be so good.

The art style was really damn cool.

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Px9FvddtgpM[/ame]
  • valuemeal
    Offline / Send Message
    valuemeal polycounter lvl 6
    Let's see,
    I finished death parade and Parasite when they ended
    still watching Jojo's Bizarre adventure

Reading One Piece

and I am eagerly awaiting the new Lupin incarnation and
    the new Digimon adaptation
  • Darth Tomi
    Offline / Send Message
    Darth Tomi polycounter lvl 12
    Sword Art Online
    Psycho Pass
    Attack on Titan
  • SonicBlue
    Offline / Send Message
    SonicBlue polycounter lvl 10
    Mischievous Twins: The Tales of St. Clare's
    The Bush Baby
    Slayers
  • Odow
    Offline / Send Message
    Odow polycounter lvl 8
    If anyone want a oldschool anime, this season there's "Kekkai Sensen" airing. It got a great jazzy soundtrack, fun character, weird stuff, it has a big cowboy bepop vibe IMO.
    [ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lBo4ruqkWOY[/ame]

I know this is last season but if you haven't watch it yet.
    WATCH SHIROBAKO

It is so good, it's an anime about making anime ! But it's really based on how it works, every step of it, every part of it (sound, CG, chara design, production, voice actor, etc) It show how an original anime work and how an adaptation from a manga or a novel works, how they pick voice actors, what they do when they can't meet deadline etc. In my opinion, they're also great advice for junior in there ( even if it's not he exacts same domain, it's similar and their life experience fits really well) It's a really fun anime, there's no drama, the character are great (It's not boring moe even if they look like it), no hero syndrome, there's a lot of Easter egg. I've watch a TONES of anime in the past 15years and this is in my top 10 ever and sadly people who are casual anime's watcher don't know about it. Even if there's no action fighting I NEVER was bored by shirobako and the last episode is one of the best last episode I saw in my life.
  • Joopson
    Offline / Send Message
    Joopson quad damage
    Got a question for all y'all.

I'm looking for a really creepy horror anime that isn't too in your face. A slow burner, so to speak. Preferably nothing with much action, or magic. And not about murder.

"Another" was good until the last few episodes, as reference.

Anything that fits the bill?

As for me, right now I'm watching "Re-Kan!", and a few short ones ("Comical Psychosomatic Medicine", "Yamishibai", and "Onee-chan ga kita".)
  • MagicSugar
  • Zocky
    Offline / Send Message
    Zocky greentooth
    Joopson wrote: »

I'm looking for a really creepy horror anime that isn't too in your face. A slow burner, so to speak. Preferably nothing with much action, or magic. And not about murder.

As for me, right now I'm watching "Re-Kan!", and a few short ones ("Comical Psychosomatic Medicine", "Yamishibai", and "Onee-chan ga kita".)

I'd suggest to take a look at Shinsekai yori or in english "From the new world".
    It has a lot going on to it....not to spoil too much....but it does give a bit of Another vibe to it. But it's much more complex story, and i'd say it has one of the more unique settings, but not in classical anime way.

I would say though, at times, it even more creepy than Another, and overall story is to me for sure much better, and i did like another.

Here's a trailer, see if you like it:
    [ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WtWiMTDhCUo[/ame]
  • JustMeSR
    Offline / Send Message
    JustMeSR polycounter lvl 4
    These 2 eye candy:

hibike euphonium
    972b9_otaku_oYbGLfw.gif

Fate Stay Night UBW

Plus Shirobako
    tumblr_niyb9x7Jgy1qcsnnso1_500.gif
  • Blaisoid
    Offline / Send Message

you could give Ghost Hound a try. (not to be confused with ghost hunt)

It's certainly slow paced and has a more creepy vibe rather than a gore fest; there is no 'monster jumping in yo face' stuff. I recall that the series has remarkable ambient sounds that make some scenes quite unsettling.
  • Joopson
    Offline / Send Message
    Joopson quad damage
    I'll check out both "Ghost Hound" and "From The New World", thanks for the recommendations!
  • littleclaude
  • sziada
    Offline / Send Message
    sziada polycounter lvl 11
    TIE Fighter - short film
    www.youtube.com/watch?v=PN_CP4SuoTU

yeah that was so awesome couldn't believe that one guy animated that whole thing
  • [Deleted User]
    Offline / Send Message
    [Deleted User] polycounter lvl 3
    In my search for source where I could watch "Knight Of Sidonia" I stumbled on Terra Formars. Anyone have seen it?
  • xvampire
    Offline / Send Message
    xvampire polycounter lvl 14
    JustMeSR wrote: »
    Plus Shirobako
    tumblr_niyb9x7Jgy1qcsnnso1_500.gif

haha you guys gotta watch Shirobako , it is really relevant to what you are working in industry.
    zseRuMh.gif
  • pangaea
    Offline / Send Message
    pangaea polycounter lvl 5
    maxresdefault.jpg

I sort of agree with Miyazaki. If you watch old anime like Berserk or Evangelion or Legend of the Galatic Heroes, it has some sort of realism. Now new anime has sort of been destroyed by Moe.

Even worse, its infected good manga like Berserk. The guy stop producing manga and now just watches Idol master.
  • Joost
    Offline / Send Message
    Joost polycount sponsor
    I think a lot of anime these days has devolved to appeal to the lowest common denominator, as is the case with the majority of western film and tv. I struggle to find any truly good anime now, but there's still some gems out there.
  • Mstankow
    Offline / Send Message
    Mstankow polycounter lvl 11
    I am just waiting for Dragon Ball Super and Digimon Adventure 03 to start. And I also demand a new season of Space Dandy be made.
  • R3D
    Offline / Send Message
    R3D interpolator
    pangaea wrote: »
    maxresdefault.jpg

I sort of agree with Miyazaki. If you watch old anime like Berserk or Evangelion or Legend of the Galatic Heroes, it has some sort of realism. Now new anime has sort of been destroyed by Moe.

Even worse, its infected good manga like Berserk. The guy stop producing manga and now just watches Idol master.

otaku-in-the-indsutry.jpg

The same can almost be said for the videogame and film industry, if not for the independents and outliers that just do what they damn well please.
  • Odow
    Offline / Send Message
    Odow polycounter lvl 8
    It's not like all anime were trash either. Steins;gate or Madoka are recent and they are freaking masterpiece.
  • valuemeal
    Offline / Send Message
    valuemeal polycounter lvl 6
    It's a shame though, what originally enticed me into me to anime, and playing more anime inspired games was the fact that things were so different and strange.

I'm not talking about cultural differences either, it was the fact that anything seemed possible, anything could be the subject of a series., and anything could be made into a special attack. Also anyone could be a hero, Disney fellows are too swoon worthy and ideal,
    think about it, anime heroes have been dinosaurs, overweight salesmen, blobs, robots, and even swoon worthy fellows.

It just seems as those fan types I mentioned before in another thread ruin everything with the fanservice, escape, the dolls, and the mountain dew.
  • praetus
    Offline / Send Message
    praetus interpolator
    Yeah, while not recent my top anime are Evangelion, FLCL, Gurenn Lagan, Record of Lodoss War, Fullmetal Alchemist (I actually have the auroboros tattoo on my back) and Cowboy Bebop. There are many other I like but those are probably my favorite series.

I can agree that fan service can kill anime for me. I've had a few series I have had to drop off hulu because all the series was about was showing panty shots and such. No thanks.
  • AtomicChikkin
    I just started Ninja Slayer. It's like Kill la Kill and Inferno Cop in a hilariously bad but its good getup.
  • R3D
    Offline / Send Message
    R3D interpolator
    Joopson wrote: »

Monster
  • Scizz
    Offline / Send Message
    Scizz polycounter lvl 11
    I love me some Gintama. Watching Fate/Stay Night as well.
  • Richard Kain
    Offline / Send Message
    Richard Kain polycounter lvl 18
    I'm on a bit of a classics kick. Got my copy of Ranma 1/2, volume 5 on Blu-Ray about a month ago, and I've been watching through that.
  • ErichWK
    Offline / Send Message
    ErichWK polycounter lvl 12
    I'm watching Sound Euphonium and a few other new ones from the Spring 2015 season. But Sound Euphonium and Cooking Wars are my favorite ones. Sound Euphonium has a little bit of a K-On charm, which is one of my top 5.

rWSfRab.jpg
  • NegevPro
    Offline / Send Message
    NegevPro polycounter lvl 4
    xvampire wrote: »
    haha you guys gotta watch Shirobako , it is really relevant to what you are working in industry.
    zseRuMh.gif
    This gif just sold me on this anime, I'll have to check it out ASAP.

I don't watch much anime but I just finished up Baccano! and it was pretty good in my opinion. It's really short and the violence is disgusting sometimes, but the storytelling was interesting since there is no main character and it is designed to not make sense unless you watch it twice apparently. It also has a pretty smooth intro!

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OOZ1hsb8smQ[/ame]
  • fearian
    Offline / Send Message
    fearian greentooth
    Odow wrote: »
    It's not like all anime were trash either. Steins;gate or Madoka are recent and they are freaking masterpiece.

I watched steins gate recently and I was blown away by how thoughtful and melancholic it was. Because when I started it, it played out like a Harem anime for the first few episodes.

When I finished, I looked back at the show and I felt like the writer had been trying to appeal to as broad as an 'anime' audience as possible before bringing them on this deep trip. And to be honest, if you told me it was largely a romantic story, I probably would have passed on it myself.

I would be a much bigger fan of anime if the vast vast majority of it wasn't so damn creepy. I feel bad saying it. But in the end, I only ever recommend 3 or 4 shows to people who ask me what to watch. (FMA:B. GitS & Attack on Titan - Surprise!)

Currently watching: Steven Universe. The cure for fan-service anime.