Home Marmoset

Marmoset Toolbag 2 | FAQ & Support

Replies

• EarthQuake
    We have a lot of stuff to get ready for GDC, so it looks unlikely that 2.07 will be out before GDC.

You should be able to group the chunks however you like, the important thing is that each is a separate object.
  • cataev serj
    Hi marmoset pros :)
    Is there a way to imitate volumetric ligh, fog or haze in version 2+ ? Thanks.
  • Goshi
    Offline / Send Message
    Goshi polycounter lvl 5

+1 ja, would be cool !
  • EarthQuake
    Fog is currently being worked on, and could be included as soon as the next update.
  • Speed87
    Offline / Send Message
    Speed87 polycounter lvl 4
    Hello guys,

I am having this very annoying issue regarding Alpha's in Marmoset Toolbag 2 on PC. I have been working on a project using both Mac and PC versions of Marmoset. The issue is that on PC I am getting a thickening, white border around the alpha. On Mac I have no such issue. I took a side by side of the same texture loaded into the Albedo slot in Marmoset. The one on the right is Mac, left is PC. Any advice on why this is happening and how I can solve it? The textures have not changed. Thanks.

2ighm2w.png
  • almighty_gir
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    Goshi wrote: »
    +1 ja, would be cool !

Have posted about fog here: http://www.polycount.com/forum/showpost.php?p=2249925&postcount=41
  • EarthQuake
    Speed87 wrote: »
    Hello guys,

I am having this very annoying issue regarding Alpha's in Marmoset Toolbag 2 on PC. I have been working on a project using both Mac and PC versions of Marmoset. The issue is that on PC I am getting a thickening, white border around the alpha. On Mac I have no such issue. I took a side by side of the same texture loaded into the Albedo slot in Marmoset. The one on the right is Mac, left is PC. Any advice on why this is happening and how I can solve it? The textures have not changed. Thanks.

2ighm2w.png

Thats very interesting, could you upload your scene along with the texture in question so I can take a look?

Thanks
  • Speed87
    Offline / Send Message
    Speed87 polycounter lvl 4
    Hey EarthQuake,

In my other thread regarding this issue I got some good advice, and Axi5 mentioned you as a go to guy. I did solve this issue by premultiplying the alpha in GIMP. Now the white border is gone on PC and it matches the Mac. I can try to upload it later if you still want to take a look. Thanks.
  • Froyok
    Offline / Send Message
    Froyok greentooth
    How is the png and tiff format supported in Toolbag 2 ? I'm doing some tests currently and I get very strange renders with a 16bits png (as if it was in 8bits) and with a tiff 16/32 bits (totally broken).

For example :
    1424266307-png_toolbag2_206.jpg
  • EarthQuake
    16+ bit PNGs and TIFFs are not currently support at this time, the will default to 8 bit. 16/32bit TIFF support will be added in 2.07 though.

For now, you can use PSD if you have 16/32 bit files.
  • Froyok
    Offline / Send Message
    Froyok greentooth
    Thanks for the information. That's nice to know this will be supported in 2.07. :)
  • Doyen
    Offline / Send Message
    Doyen polycounter lvl 6
    Hello, I've just purchased Toolbag 2 and paid with Paypal. The website says the order is completed. I'm just wondering how long it'll be before my Marmoset stops saying the trail has expired? I've tried changing the email and changing it back to the one I used to purchase.
  • EarthQuake
    Doyen wrote: »
    Hello, I've just purchased Toolbag 2 and paid with Paypal. The website says the order is completed. I'm just wondering how long it'll be before my Marmoset stops saying the trail has expired? I've tried changing the email and changing it back to the one I used to purchase.

Hello, the license should transfer immediately. Please contact support@marmoset.co if you're still having problems and Mark will sort you out. Thanks!
  • Thousand
    Offline / Send Message
    Thousand polycounter lvl 9
    I am fiddling around with how to name Substance outputs properly, so that the resulting textures are placed accordingly in Marmoset.

Anyone knows, if there is a list somewhere with what to name how for Substance + Marmoset?

Currently, my output called "fuzz" ends up in the "albedo" slot, while the fuzz slot stays unmapped...
  • EarthQuake
    Thousand wrote: »
    I am fiddling around with how to name Substance outputs properly, so that the resulting textures are placed accordingly in Marmoset.

Anyone knows, if there is a list somewhere with what to name how for Substance + Marmoset?

Currently, my output called "fuzz" ends up in the "albedo" slot, while the fuzz slot stays unmapped...

Sorry we do not have any official documentation for the supported map types at this time. For any maps which fail to load, you will need to export a standard image format like .tga and hook those up manually.

Please let me know if there are some typical map types that you require support for and we will consider adding that in a future update, thanks!
  • Thousand
    Offline / Send Message
    EarthQuake wrote: »
    Please let me know if there are some typical map types that you require support for and we will consider adding that in a future update, thanks!

The easiest way would be to name the substance outputs accordingly to the available Marmoset inputs.
    So if someone sets up a substance, he/she just has to look, how the maps are called in Marmoset and name the Substance outputs exactly the same.

For example, if I create a Fuzz output in Substance Designer, it really would make sense that this output is then mapped to Fuzz in Marmoset.

I want to emphasize, that Substances are wonderful to use, polish and tweak values, and at the moment Marmoset is a bit of a partykiller ;)
  • oblomov
    Offline / Send Message
    oblomov polycounter lvl 8
    Thousand wrote: »
    The easiest way would be to name the substance outputs accordingly to the available Marmoset inputs.

Rather than the texture name, it should be based on the "usage" field of the output. That's how automapping is done in most other software were the Substance engine is integrated.
  • Thousand
    Offline / Send Message
    oblomov wrote: »
    Rather than the texture name, it should be based on the "usage" field of the output. That's how automapping is done in most other software were the Substance engine is integrated.

that´s just what I meant :)

in my case, a substance output is named after the usage
  • Brygelsmack
    Offline / Send Message
    Brygelsmack polycounter lvl 11
    "Cannot connect to the licensing server. Please ensure that your Internet connection is working properly and re-launch Marmoset Toolbag."

Is anyone else having this issue? And yes I did buy my copy of Marmoset.
  • Count Vertsalot
  • EarthQuake
    "Cannot connect to the licensing server. Please ensure that your Internet connection is working properly and re-launch Marmoset Toolbag."

Is anyone else having this issue? And yes I did buy my copy of Marmoset.

There haven't been any server outages or anything like that that we are aware of, sometimes this can be a local connection issue, or a problem with recently changed firewall settings or something like that. If the problem persists, please contact support@marmoset.co
  • Brygelsmack
    Offline / Send Message
    Hm, I fixed it by typing in my email, then I got an email asking me if I wanted to transfer my license... Here's what the email said:
    An unregistered computer ("[my computer's name]") is attempting to activate Marmoset Toolbag using your account ([my email address]). If you wish to allow this, please follow the link below to transfer licensing from a previously authorized computer:

Click to Transfer License

When I went through with the transfer, it sent my browser to a page where it confirmed the transfer from [my computer's name] to [my computer's name]. Yes, it said the same name twice. So basically from my computer to my computer. I'm not sure exactly what's going on.

What happened here do you think?
  • EarthQuake
    Did your location or hardware change in any way? I imagine something happened that altered the identification key for your computer.
  • Brygelsmack
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah, I changed my motherboard, CPU and RAM a few days ago. I guess that's it then.
  • iron100
    Hello,
    How can I scale textures on objects or in materials? It is possible to adjust as I need?

In Cinema 4D:

gbw3dwQZ.png
    gbw3dwR0.png
  • EarthQuake
    We do not support texture tiling at this time, you will need to set up texture tiling by editing the uvs in your 3d app.
  • Tectonic
    Offline / Send Message
    Tectonic polycounter lvl 10
    I'm having a hard time figuring out alphas. This is the result I'm getting right now, any suggestions on what I need to change would be really helpful. I'm sure I'm doing something wrong, but I can't find a tutorial showing exactly what is the right settings.
  • EarthQuake
    Is your alpha map in the alpha channel of your diffuse? Did you make sure to save as 32 bit?
  • Tectonic
    Offline / Send Message
    Tectonic polycounter lvl 10
    Thanks for the help EQ. Got it all figured out now :)
  • EarthQuake
    No worries, glad you got it sorted.
  • Dark-Flux
    Is it at all possible to have an invisible/hidden object still receive shadows?

Basically i need to have an object in a scene cast shadows onto the floor. But i need the floor itself to be invisible.
    The object and the shadows it casts need to be rendered out as PNGs with a transparent background so a series of background images can then be composited in at a later time.
  • EarthQuake
    Sorry, an invisible shadow catching plane is not supported at this time.
  • slosh
    Offline / Send Message
    slosh hero character
    So, i am surprised I am having this issues as I have been using marmoset 1 and 2 for some time now. I have a mirrored asset that i baked out of xnormal to get the normal map. When I baked, I moved half the UVs 1 unit over. When I import my obj, I usually move the UVs back to being overlapping in marmoset. Then I click the "xnormal" portion under the mesh properties and my mirroring normal map usually works flawlessly. For some reason on the current asset, i'm getting a seam. I tried a test of having 1 head with overlapping UVs and the other with half the UVs 1 unit over but both have the same seam. I tried increasing my border padding to see if the mipping was causing the seam, still no luck. I'm just not sure what the issue is. I use maya for my original obj exports and xnormal to bake. any help would be much appreciated...

normal-map-seam.jpg
  • EarthQuake
    Interesting, that was an issue in TB1 but should be solved in TB2. Some suggestions:

1. Make sure the mesh is triangulated, a mesh with quads/triangles means TB decides the triangulation, which may differ from max/xn.
    2. Make sure you've offset the uvs exactly one unit. 0.97 units or so may cause errors.

At the end of the day, there isn't any reason to move the uvs back. The only exception there would be if your engine doesn't support uvs outside the 0-1 space, but I don't know a single modern engine that does. Also, sticking with one uv layout and one mesh will simplify your workflow. No need to go back, edit uvs, re-export, etc.
  • iron100
    How to duplicate objects?
  • iron100
    How to make a light source from the Emissive? It doesn't shine at all.
    And why glass in the bulb isn't visible? I applied other material to show object.

sGa1lufp.png
    sGa1lufq.png
  • --E--
    Offline / Send Message
    --E-- polycounter lvl 11
    A few issues I'm having with vector displacement maps in 2.06

1) Meshes using vector displacement maps (tangent space or world space) render/shade incorrectly. In the screenshot below, both meshes are using the same exact default marmoset material. The only difference is the one on the left is using a vector displacement map. The one on the right is just the decimated mesh out of zbrush (no vector displacement map). You can see the mesh on the left looks very strange with it's shading/highlights all out of wack. Changing the meshes tangent space in Marmoset doesn't have any effect here either.

marmoset_vd_example_01.png

2) Meshes that are comprised of multiple sub elements do not tessellate in unison. Only one of the sub elements will tessellate. This happens with regular displacement maps too.
    See video
  • EarthQuake
    1. You need to use a normal map in addition to a displacement map in TB2. The reason for this is that the normals are not re-normalized after sub-division is applied.

2. This is expected behavior, larger faces will tesselate before smaller faces with standard realtime tessellation algorithms.
  • EarthQuake
    iron100 wrote: »
    How to duplicate objects?

CTRL+D or scene->duplicate selection
  • --E--
    Offline / Send Message
    --E-- polycounter lvl 11
    Thank you Joe!

You are correct on both accounts, a normal map fixed my first issue and the tessellation was resolved as well by just cranking up the slider a bit more. :)
  • mediochrea
    Offline / Send Message
    mediochrea polycounter lvl 10
    Are you guys planning on adding a "zoom on selection" shortcut? It would be immensely useful.
  • Bek
    Offline / Send Message
    Bek interpolator
    ctrl+f will center the view on the selected object currently if that's what you mean.
  • sasuki
    Hi all. Need some help. I enabled 3d stereo (Red/Cyan) but in the capture screenshot it doesn't show in (Red/Cyan).

Can i screen capture with 3d stereo (Red/Cyan)?
  • Justo
    Offline / Send Message
    Justo polycounter
    Question about UV sets.

Should we divide UV sets depending on which type of shader we'll use? Example: I have a (human) head with two (bone) horns.

Normally I'd try to fit in a UV set both the head and horns, but in TB2 should I divide it into two sets? That way we can apply the Skin shader for the head, and w/e else shader to the horns? Isn't there a way to mask or blend two shaders together so that we can use more UV space?
  • EarthQuake
    sasuki wrote: »
    Hi all. Need some help. I enabled 3d stereo (Red/Cyan) but in the capture screenshot it doesn't show in (Red/Cyan).

Can i screen capture with 3d stereo (Red/Cyan)?

Currently the stereo settings are only for preview and do not render into the final images, sorry for the confusion.
    Justo wrote: »
    Question about UV sets.

Should we divide UV sets depending on which type of shader we'll use? Example: I have a (human) head with two (bone) horns.

Normally I'd try to fit in a UV set both the head and horns, but in TB2 should I divide it into two sets? That way we can apply the Skin shader for the head, and w/e else shader to the horns? Isn't there a way to mask or blend two shaders together so that we can use more UV space?

How you set up your uvs is entirely up to you. There is no need to use two uv sets/texture maps if you want to use two separate shaders. There are a few ways to use the skin shader:

1. The simpliest is split each section off as a separate object and apply a unique material to each.
    2. In 207, material ids/sub-object polygonal material selection will be supported as well, the 207 update will be out soon.
    3. You can use 1 material and use the alpha map of of the subdermis map to mask skin and non skin elements. Use white for skin and black for standard.
  • Justo
    Offline / Send Message
    Justo polycounter
    Thanks for replying Joe.
    EarthQuake wrote: »

3. You can use 1 material and use the alpha map of of the subdermis map to mask skin and non skin elements. Use white for skin and black for standard.

1-In your character setup video, you said that a value of 0 for Subdermis Scatter essentially negates all Subdermis changes and acts like a Lambertian shader. Does masking there also apply to the rest of the parameters of the Skin shader? (Translucency, Fuzz)

2-What if we wanted to mix say Microfiber & Skin in the same UV set? Wait for 2.07's material ids?

2.07 can't come soon enough, you guys are doing amazing work.
  • EarthQuake
    If you mask areas in the subdermis alpha channel, that turns off subdermis scattering, normal smoothing and show blur, but it shouldn't mask fuzz. You can mask fuzz where needed with the fuzz map.
  • nksilver5
    Offline / Send Message
    nksilver5 polycounter lvl 5
    Hello :)

I just sent a mail to the support but will post here just in case.

I used to have a license and an account on your site for toolbag 2, since yesterday and can't connect to it, same on your website :(

I purchased a license while toolbag 2 was still in beta, but now I can't even login on your site, email not registered :(

I'm a bit concerned since I use marmo for all my work, and was ready to change my site with the viewer export features, which I think is game changing for showing your work :(

Hope I will get my account and license back :'(

thanks for reading support !
  • EarthQuake
    Hi, if you purchased while we were in beta, you do not have nor do you need an account on our website. The account system was something that we added more recently, which is needed for our other products like Skyshop and the Pano pack.

All you need to do for Toolbag is to download the installer here: http://www.marmoset.co/shop/tb2 and enter the email address that you used when you originally purchased Toolbag 2. If you're installing on a new machine, you will get an email (to the same email account you entered) with a link to click to swap the license. It's as easy as that, no need to log in or anything like that.

If you don't have access to the email account you used when you purchased, or if you're not getting the email (be sure to check your spam folder) send a follow up email to support@marmoset.co letting us know and we'll sort you out there.

Thanks
  • nksilver5
    Offline / Send Message
    nksilver5 polycounter lvl 5
    I tried to use my adress but it still doesn't work :/ Which is weird, since I used to transfer my license between my main rig and my laptopt when I was on the move :/

Will try to un-install and reinstall everything again.

Thanks EQ