the invested time is worth it. Any brave souls
who would like to tell me how much $ they are
making with cosmetics? I would really aprecciate
it.

Replies

• Sunburnn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    None if you content is garbage, but a decent amount if you can put out about 2-3 sets. Costs more in training and programs then it does the income generated from the items, unless you are self-taught. Honestly, in my opinion, you don't do it mainly for the money, it's the pride of saying your work was added into a game that is enjoyed by hundreds of thousands, and possibly your work is enjoyed as much too.
  • Jalcober
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jalcober polycounter lvl 10
  • 7thBattery
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm not sure you're going to get anyone who's gotten a paycheck to come in here and honestly answer your question.

But...if you have any interest in doing this kind of stuff, either for a living or just as a hobby, I have to ask: what's the downside to doing it, no matter how much money you make?

At worst, you're learning and working on cool stuff from a cool game with an amazing art style made by one of the best game companies in the world. At best...you're doing that and getting paid.
  • Selaznog
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Selaznog polycounter lvl 8
    I thought I'd revive this topic. I'm actually very interested in how much money people make from HUDs, mounts, items etc. I know there's the whole "Why does money matter if you love what you're doing?"

Well, my work basically I can't work on Dota 2 stuff while on salary with them, but they could let me work on a part time basis if I want to do Dota 2 stuff on the side. So I'm just trying to figure out if I should go on salary or not.
  • Sukotto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sukotto polycounter lvl 8
    Selaznog: Doing stuff for the Workshop is a bit of a gamble if you don't have a stable source of income. Many of the people that do this full-time have quite a following and many items in-game but that takes time and a bit of luck. It comes down to are you comfortable/able to survive on that part-time salary for the time being? Because you never know how long it'll take to get an item accepted. Its just like freelance, theres dry spells but the times when you are working you make a lot.
  • Farfarer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I will say, if you're not a US citizen, sort out your ITIN number as soon as possible.

It's a serious faff. For various reasons, I'm still waiting on mine a year after I started applying for it.

Valve can't pay you anything if you don't have one.
  • Vayne4800
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vayne4800 polycounter lvl 3
    Farfarer wrote: »
    I will say, if you're not a US citizen, sort out your ITIN number as soon as possible.

It's a serious faff. For various reasons, I'm still waiting on mine a year after I started applying for it.

Wait what!? Wasn't the ITIN only to recover the 30% tax?
  • mihalceanu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mihalceanu polycounter lvl 6
    Vayne4800 : No , you need it for the w-8 form ( u need to fill out a w7 form and talk to some guys to help you out) . Withouth the w-8 form u wont get any pay from what I know

Selaznog: Its worted. Even if you are employed in a gamedev company.

BTW guys . any idea when do we get the tax returns? is it at the end of this year? I'm looking forward for that
  • FAT_CAP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    FAT_CAP polycounter lvl 18

Can you explain more about this Farfarer? I'm a UK citizen and working on my first set at the minute, so I imagine I'll have to go through the same process you did. I would have just assumed I would file my self-assesment as a sole trader as usual, to pay the tax on any Workshop earnings, but you're saying this isn't the case?

Why did it take you a whole year to get yours sorted? Is there anything that could have expediated the process in hindsight? Shhould I start working through the process on http://london.usembassy.gov/irs/irsitin.html now, so I am all setup and ready by the time I start submitting stuff to the Workshop?

Have any other non-US citizens had the same problem?
  • Farfarer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sam: Eh, mostly mistakes on my part that it's taken so long.

I sent off a notarised copy of my passport 'cause I didn't fancy sending my actual passport away in the mail (as I needed it for a marriage application and I also didn't want to get it lost in transit).

That got rejected, so I had to re-apply with my actual passport (which screwed up our marriage application - that went down well with my fianc
  • Shock
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shock polycounter lvl 5
    u can also use an EIN number instead of an ITIN. that number just requires one single phonecall (~10mins time) and u do not have to do anything like sending ur passport or other shit.. and u do not have wait weeks/months :)

http://www.irs.gov/Businesses/Small-Businesses-&-Self-Employed/How-to-Apply-for-an-EIN

Note: International applicants must call (267) 941-1099 (Not a toll-free number).

if u do the phonecall via skype u will get it nearly for free.
  • Farfarer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I thought that was for businesses?
  • Shock
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shock polycounter lvl 5
    anyone can do it :) basicly u are a one person business.
  • Vayne4800
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hold on guys, I never got asked to get an ITIN or EIN number. All that was asked were basic address/contact stuff and bank swift and account number. No more no less. Added, my country doesn't have a tax treaty with USA. I am from Sultanate of Oman.
  • Shock
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shock polycounter lvl 5
    @vayne if ur county got no tax treaty with usa an ein/itan number is useless for u, since u MUST pay the tax double anyways (in usa AND in ur country again). thats why u do not need the numbers.
  • FAT_CAP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Farfarer - Ouch! That process seems quite convoluted even if it had gone smoothly! I bet your finace/ wife loved you for that little mishap! I always seem to have bad luck with these sort of official document situations (the rigmarole I ahd to go through to get my passport renewed, a few days before flying out to the MS HQ in Redmond was insane - I definitely got a few more grey hairs that week!) so any info like this is greatly received.

@Shock - EIN seems like a much easier route than ITAN then! Can anybody do this or do I have to be registered as s company (I'm not and just work and file as a Sole Trader when freelancing)?

Also - you guys said you included the letter form Valve with your applications - is this something you get when your first item gets accepted? IF so, I guess I'll have to wait until I actually finish/ upload and get a set int eh Workshop before working through all this stuff?
  • Vayne4800
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shock wrote: »
    @vayne if ur county got no tax treaty with usa an ein/itan number is useless for u, since u MUST pay the tax double anyways (in usa AND in ur country again). thats why u do not need the numbers.

I know I will lose the 30% USA cut but my country doesn't charge taxes. So it is only single. I guess that is why we don't have a tax treaty...yet.
  • Shock
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shock polycounter lvl 5
    @fat_cap anyone can do this. u do not need to be anyhow registered as company.
    u just call that ein application number, tell them ur name and ur address. then they
    create the number for u and instant give it to u. thats all.

@vayne no tax lol :D yes i think ur right :D
  • Farfarer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    FAT_CAP wrote: »
    Also - you guys said you included the letter form Valve with your applications - is this something you get when your first item gets accepted? IF so, I guess I'll have to wait until I actually finish/ upload and get a set int eh Workshop before working through all this stuff?

It's found here;
    http://steamcommunity.com/workshop/workshoppaymentinfofaq

Search for the text "Please download this letter by clicking here." and click the link.

It'll ask you to fill in your name, then you can print out the resulting document and send that off with your W-7 form if you're applying for an ITIN.
  • Nikey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nikey polycounter lvl 10
    Too much money
  • SLIMEface
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SLIMEface polycounter lvl 7
  • Snowstorm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snowstorm polycounter lvl 5
    Wait I'm confused now. I need to pay the full 30% too since there's no tax treaty, and I'm not taxed for the overseas income here. I might be even able to get tax credit for it if it's taxable.

From what Farfarer says I still need the ITIN? I suppose it makes sense since I need to be taxed in the states, but I was never asked for an EIN or ITIN either. The wording of this in the FAQ makes it even more ambiguous, since it sounds like Valve has it settled almost.
    Q. What happens if there is no income tax treaty between my country of residence and the United States?
    A. We will be required by the IRS to withhold 30% of your revenue share payment and remit these taxes to the IRS. You may want to consult with your tax advisors on whether you can recover these taxes as a foreign tax credit on your tax return.

Anyone got experience with non-treaty payment?
  • Farfarer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm guessing you don't if your country doesn't have a tax treaty.

I had emailed Valve support and got the response that they were withholding my workshop royalties until I had supplied them with an TIN number. Perhaps they don't bother if the country doesn't have a treaty (as you have nothing to lose)?
  • rock
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    So, just to get that right.

If I'm living in a country that has a tax treaty with the U.S. I have to apply for an EIN (for the U.S. to confirm I'm a foreigner) and then fill out the W-8BEN in order to exercise the benefits of that tax treaty and Valve doesn't have to withhold 30% of the payment.

In this case, Valve provides a sample form (for the W-8BEN) which you can see here.

So, basically the steps would be: Gain an EIN by calling the number mentioned in the FAQs -> In order to recieve the benefits arranged in the treaty you have to fill out W-8BEN -> Send Valve your bank information + EIN + whatever the response from the W-8BEN is.

Do I got this right?
  • MdK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MdK polycounter lvl 9
    rock wrote: »
    So, just to get that right.

If I'm living in a country that has a tax treaty with the U.S. I have to apply for an EIN (for the U.S. to confirm I'm a foreigner) and then fill out the W-8BEN in order to exercise the benefits of that tax treaty and Valve doesn't have to withhold 30% of the payment.

In this case, Valve provides a sample form (for the W-8BEN) which you can see here.

So, basically the steps would be: Gain an EIN by calling the number mentioned in the FAQs -> In order to recieve the benefits arranged in the treaty you have to fill out W-8BEN -> Send Valve your bank information + EIN + whatever the response from the W-8BEN is.

Do I got this right?

This is correct. Just be sure to check with your own tax body about how you can pay your own countries taxes.
  • SemiColonThree
  • Farfarer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    So I phoned up for an EIN number and, after a small eternity in waiting, got one over the phone in about 15 mins.

Much easier, I recommend you do that instead :P
  • KatArt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KatArt polycounter lvl 5
    It's found here;
    http://steamcommunity.com/workshop/workshoppaymentinfofaq

Search for the text "Please download this letter by clicking here." and click the link.

It'll ask you to fill in your name, then you can print out the resulting document and send that off with your W-7 form if you're applying for an ITIN.

1.This letter is on my nativ language (not an English (Adress of company is english) , so i should print it how it supposes me to be printed (not in English)? or try to find it fully in English?

2.What is the benefits of registering ITIN instead of EIN (EIN is 10-15min phone call , and ITIN is 2-4 month waiting answer on your mail.
    So it seeme EIN is much more efficient way of getting your TIN and then using it in W-8BEN form.
  • MdK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MdK polycounter lvl 9
    I don't think there is any benefits of the ITIN over the EIN. I could be wrong but I don't know if all countries are eligible for EIN though.
  • Kawaii Catgirl
    I don't know why everyone is being so quiet about this.

There was a thread back on 4chan in /3dcg/ that asked this question. Chances are that thread still exists considering how slow that place is. The answer you're looking for is in there. If not, just start a new thread there.
  • AndrewHelenek
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AndrewHelenek polycounter lvl 6
    I don't know why everyone is being so quiet about this.

There was a thread back on 4chan in /3dcg/ that asked this question. Chances are that thread still exists considering how slow that place is. The answer you're looking for is in there. If not, just start a new thread there.

Think of it like this, some people treat this like a job, its their main source of income. It's personal information, some people don't feel confortable sharing that, and they aren't obligated to share either. And in some instances they aren't aloud to share, while this isn't the case, its generally accepted that it's slighty rude to flat out ask someone what there salary is.

For example, I'd prefer to not share what I make, others might feel different.
  • cottonwings
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    My head hurts.
  • pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    Hello all - just wanted to chime in on the EIN part. It is indeed very straightforward to obtain - the IRS operator simply asks you if you have a certain form ready to read from, but if you do not (which was my case) he/she will simply walk you through the process step by step. I was actually surprised by how competent and clear the person was.

The only information required was a street address, a phone number and a Social Security Number. Now I lived and worked in the US for a while therefore I do have an american SSN so I suppose that makes things a little easier. I would guess that if one does not have such a number the operator would simply ask for an equivalent. Maybe someone here knows more about this detail.

Of course at the end of the registration process the operator will also ask you why you need the EIN in the first place. Simply explaining that I am a 'graphic designer doing work for a US company, which needs an EIN to give me my share of the revenue generated from my work" was all it took.

The only tricky thing to be prepared for is ... spelling out a foreign street address to an american operator :) Besides that, it's all smooth. The EIN gets generated on the spot, and is also mailed physically to the provided mailing address. I also asked the operator if the EIN can be used straight away, and he confirmed that yes, it is all good to go.

I hope this clarifies things a little for people confused by the process.

(also - maybe a mod could add "+ ITIN and EIN discussion" at the end of the thread title and maybe make it sticky - or maybe make a new thread with compiled information ? This thread is pretty useful ...)
  • kendmd
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kendmd polycounter lvl 5
    pior wrote: »
    Hello all - just wanted to chime in on the EIN part. It is indeed very straightforward to obtain - the IRS operator simply asks you if you have a certain form ready to read from, but if you do not (which was my case) he/she will simply walk you through the process step by step. I was actually surprised by how competent and clear the person was.

The only information required was a street address, a phone number and a Social Security Number. Now I lived and worked in the US for a while therefore I do have an american SSN so I suppose that makes things a little easier. I would guess that if one does not have such a number the operator would simply ask for an equivalent. Maybe someone here knows more about this detail.

Of course at the end of the registration process the operator will also ask you why you need the EIN in the first place. Simply explaining that I am a 'graphic designer doing work for a US company, which needs an EIN to give me my share of the revenue generated from my work" was all it took.

The only tricky thing to be prepared for is ... spelling out a foreign street address to an american operator :) Besides that, it's all smooth. The EIN gets generated on the spot, and is also mailed physically to the provided mailing address. I also asked the operator if the EIN can be used straight away, and he confirmed that yes, it is all good to go.

I hope this clarifies things a little for people confused by the process.

(also - maybe a mod could add "+ ITIN and EIN discussion" at the end of the thread title and maybe make it sticky ? This thread is pretty useful ...)

Now that reminds me... I still haven't received my EIN in the mail.
  • FAT_CAP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pior wrote: »
    It is indeed very straightforward to obtain

Straightforward yes, but with a LOOOOOOOOONG waiting time! Unless you got lucky and missed the queues? I thought Farfarer was exaggerating when he said you're kept on hold for a while before speaking to an operator... an hour and 15 minutes of listening to the same holding muzak later, I definitely felt his pain :D
  • pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Oh I supposed I lucked out then ? My waiting tome was about 10 minutes, called them around 5pm pacific time. And then the questions took about 10 minutes or so too.

Well, regardless - I am glad you got yours now :)
  • Reza
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Reza polycounter lvl 3
    one question
    let's say I get some items into the game and I make some money but I don't have any of those things that you mentioned( EIN, ITIN, tax treaty and etc). Will steam keep my money as credit until I solve the tax issues?
  • mihalceanu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mihalceanu polycounter lvl 6
    Reza: Yes , they pay the taxes and the rest are kept untill you resolve your stufs
  • kendmd
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kendmd polycounter lvl 5
    Do you actually get a physical copy of the EIN? I checked online and couldn't find any information about that matter. I wonder if mine is lost in the ocean...
  • pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mihalceanu : are you sure about that ? I would have thought it would be the opposite ...

For instance, if someone is from a country without a tax treaty with the US, or, if someone didn't bother getting an ITIN or EIN but still provided bank transfer information to Valve, I would think that Valve would pay that person 70% of their share, and the remaining 30% goes to taxes ... (tax withholding at the source, basically).

In the case of a country without a treaty, I suppose there is a way to then obtain a Foreign Tax Credit later down the line in order to avoid being taxed twice (once by the US with the 30% thing, and once more by the country of residence ...)

I just dont see Valve (and the IRS ...) paying back the 30% retroactively. Or maybe I am misunderstanding something ?

Or maybe you are just saying that if someone is from a country which does allow to get an EIN, but he/she didn't bother getting it but still provided bank transfer information, then Valve holds all the money until this is resolved ? That seems to go against the warning text they put on the payment detail page ...

(Also : to my understanding it seems like if someone didn't provide transfer information at all, then the money stays at Valve until the whole details (IBAN, SWIFT) are filled in. Which is why it seems safer to me to first get the EIN, and then later on fill in the payment information. )

I am sure someone here can shed some light on this issue !
  • Prophet9
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Prophet9 polycounter lvl 9
    My quick story (I'm in Canada):
    When my item was accepted - I was asked to fill out my personal information on a new page link (given to me by Valve).
    This had my address, bank info etc.
    At the bottom was a paragraph with some links that explained the additional paperwork needed. I only needed the W-8BEN form to be completed ( based on our tax treaty).
    I called the EIN number at the IRS, was on the phone for about 40 minutes, and after about 3 minutes of answering questions, got the number.
    I filled out the W-8BEN, scanned, and emailed it to Valve Finance.
    I received a reply from them a couple weeks later saying thanks.
    I just received my documents from the IRS last week (approx 4 weeks since getting the number on the phone).
    Annnd... that's it.

Cheers!
  • kendmd
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kendmd polycounter lvl 5
    @pior From my experience, they actually withhold the payment until you fill in your payment information and submitted the required documents. If you decide not to get an ITIN or EIN, Valve still needs your consent before thry transfer your money because they want to make sure that you are agreeing to have 30% cut for taxes.
  • pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Very good to know - thank you so much for sharing that. Seems like they really doing the best they can to make things smooth and fair. Awesome !
  • cottonwings
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sorry if this has been answered, but I was wondering when can I receive my payment from my item at Wraith Night? :o
  • kendmd
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kendmd polycounter lvl 5
    Sorry if this has been answered, but I was wondering when can I receive my payment from my item at Wraith Night? :o

If you've submitted all the documents, they usually pay during the last week of the month, so you can expect it late next week.
  • AndrewHelenek
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AndrewHelenek polycounter lvl 6
    kendmd wrote: »
    If you've submitted all the documents, they usually pay during the last week of the month, so you can expect it late next week.

Actually we might expect it sooner, last year the december check rolled out a week early, I supect the holidays has something to do with that.
  • cottonwings
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    *imaginary pelvic thrusts*
  • Vextrakt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vextrakt polycounter lvl 6
    But if he got his item accepted in December, wouldnt he get paid at the end of January?
  • Farfarer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    If anyone wants numbers, I just got a little under £8.5k (that's probably about $16k USD) for 12 months sales of my Stormcrow's Spirit Witch Doctor set that was a finalist in the Polycount contest.

It's the only thing I have on the store so far, so I can be pretty confident that's all sales of that set.

I suspect most of the sales are because it's part of the Polycount Mega Bundle (some basic maths and a look on Dota2 Meet The Stats would support that) and because it was a finalist in there at all. I don't think it's a very popular set by any means.

So if you make a set that people actually want, then yeah it's probably worth getting into... a few good sets in a year and you could make a living off it.

Hope that's helpful.
  • EmAr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    EmAr polycounter lvl 18
    That's very helpful Farfarer, thanks!