Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Videogame art 3d/2d: feedback/critique welcome!

polycounter lvl 2
Offline / Send Message
Karellen polycounter lvl 2
Hello, i've been lurking here for months and today i finally decided to open a thread here.
I have a background as 2d artist, and this year i started doing some low poly stuff in blender and recently i switched to zbrush.
Here is my latest sculpt Krelian from Xenogears.
I'm really interested in learning how to transform high poly sculpts into meshes usable for game engines like UE4 so any advice with that is really welcome. xD

bUpWZvc.jpg

7W8h7zy.jpg

sHLTVfQ.jpg

Replies

• Karellen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Started a new sculpt, i'm trying a realistic character bust this time.

nDl72kl.jpg
  • PyrZern
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PyrZern polycounter lvl 12
    Have you done any retop + baking workflow yet ?
  • Karellen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PyrZern wrote: »
    Have you done any retop + baking workflow yet ?

Hi PyrZern!not yet, to be honest i'm really interested in that workflow but i'm a bit lost, dont really know where to start haha. So far i've only tried using the decimate master and remesh features in zbrush.
  • Karellen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hello there, i finished this fire emblem awakening fanart and wanted to prepare the high poly model for exporting to marmoset toolbag or even a game engine like UE4 or Unity 5 but im still lost when it comes to retopology and UVs.

This past month i managed to prepare a really simple character for Unity 5 just using decimation/uv master and zremesh in zbrush then adjusting some things in blender,but i guess this new sculpt is too complex to get away with the same tricks. So i really want to learn a proper way to retopologize and prepare a model to be used, if anyone could point me to the right direction, share a tutorial, some advice/critique that would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks!

6HLMYvR.png

6WUUHwn.png

Cf5KC9n.png
  • Karellen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Somehow managed to retopo and texture this model, but some parts like the clothing started clipping when i posed her in blender. :P So i had to remove some details. Rendered in Marmoset.

fe_awakening_female_morgan_sculpt_final__by_eduardogaray-d9a07cm.png
  • Karellen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi, i updated my last fanart and corrected some things, while i started doing a mech in zbrush. Now working on texturing/details. This is just the base of the Mech. After i retopo, bake textures, rig, etc this one and make sure everything works i will start working on the the rest of the armor, weapons and the pilot cockpit.(And the pilot too!)

zsA3Fu1.png

lvMeJwO.png
  • Finalhart
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Finalhart polycounter lvl 6
    Congrats for your first game res model! Practicing anatomy more will definitely help you to do better characters, life drawing exercises and anatomy studies will push your skills to a next level. Keep it up!
  • Karellen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Finalhart: thanks a lot! Its been a while since i drew anything tbh, so i will take your advice and get back to anatomy, since im almost finished with this guy.

This time around the process to get the sculpt game engine ready went smooth and easy. Emotic
  • Karellen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Just added the propulsion system and tried two color schemes, i think i still like red more.
    Now im trying to decide about the weapons.
    I will probably add a Rifle on the left hand and a Lance that expands like an umbrella and can be used as shield on the right.
    And then maybe some extra details.

Kmy1f5C.jpg
  • Karellen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hello, im starting to concept some ideas for a possible first prototype on UE4
    Interface and anime characters are placeholders for now.

I tried doing the railgun the mech carries in zbrush but it wasnt a good idea after all, next time i will try to do all the hardsurface stuff on blender.

VKqOBmr.jpg

q1qkJSY.jpg

XVcRx8N.jpg
  • Karellen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    More concept screenshots for my game project.

eduardo-garay-screenshot000.jpg?1444651065

eduardo-garay-screenshot001.jpg?1444651071

eduardo-garay-screenshot002.jpg?1444651085

eduardo-garay-screenshot003.jpg?1444651088
  • Karellen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hello, i started to learn different materials.
    Tried using subsurface scattering on the face and polygonal hair.
    I need more practice!

[IMG][/img]kl4l3qQ.jpg
  • Karellen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I wasnt happy with how that last mech pilot turned out, so i started again.

The body still needs A LOT of work haha but im moderately satisfied with how the new pilot suit is turning out.

fH1iA3E.jpg
  • Karellen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Calling this guy finished... for now.
    Still not sure about the design of the suit/armor, might change it again. But now its time to see if i can finally put this guy on the unreal engine.

hsABU3u.jpg