Sooo i just bought a 2013 Nvidia Titan 6GB

Replies

• sziada
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sziada polycounter lvl 11
    EarthQuake wrote: »
    http://www.videocardbenchmark.net/high_end_gpus.html

980 and 970 are faster than the original Titan. I don't know what those cards sell for in your area, but the 980 is probably about the same cost if not less, 970 probably significantly cheaper. A used Titan won't have a warranty which means it's worth even less.

Long story short, buying the top of the line hardware from a couple years ago rarely makes sense, with the pace of advancement in computer hardware, mid-high end stuff usually outperforms the super-high end stuff after a year or two, at a better price point.

The only reason you buy a Titan is if you have too much money to spend and absolutely HAVE to have the fastest GPU on the day it is released.

lol true I did just purchased a titan x because 980 ti was out of stock, but I have to admit, its not really a good idea to go that far back. its best to try and stick with cards in the newest generation of gpus even if its not one of higher end cards of that generation.
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wut are you serious? You bought a $1,000 GPU because the $500 one that performs nearly as well was out of stock?

Oh 980 Ti, same difference tho

980 = awesome, actually reasonably priced for performance level (one of the best value cards in the $300+ range)
    980 Ti = 10% more performance for 27% more money - bad idea
    Titan X = 12% more performance for 100% more money - why would anyone ever, I can't even
  • sziada
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    EarthQuake wrote: »
    Wut are you serious? You bought a $1,000 GPU because the $500 one that performs nearly as well was out of stock?

Oh 980 Ti, same difference tho

980 = awesome, actually reasonably priced for performance level (one of the best value cards in the $300+ range)
    980 Ti = 10% more performance for 27% more money - bad idea
    Titan X = 12% more performance for 100% more money - why would anyone ever, I can't even

got it for the same price as the 980 ti
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I think that's going to be an expensive lesson to learn, but it's your money.
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    I've always stuck with ~$220 midrange cards, would only splurge if I use using a lot of GPU compute, or couldn't work with new tech at acceptable frame rate. I prefer being able to upgrade whenever, and not being invested in a $500 card that I need to sell to upgrade. Might upgrade soon if there's DX12 features exclusive to newer GPU series.
  • sziada
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shinigami wrote: »
    why dont u just sell it for higher if you got it cheap?

why, I may as well keep the card its the best in their range and tbh I am happy enough to have the extra vram even if I don't need it, keeps the idea of upgrading out of the question for a while I also enjoy having it there to try out different builds