Home 2D Art Showcase & Critiques

In dire need of Critiques!

polycounter lvl 6
Offline / Send Message
gurznoble polycounter lvl 6
Have not been on here in a long while! Hello polycount ^ ^.

I am currently finishing up on a piece. The mood I'm trying to convey is the trials and emotions an artist constantly goes through at some point in their lives or pop out of nowhere.

The cube represents an art community guiding the student and evolving/transforming the human self to an alien type of entity (almost like an higher being) that combats and overcomes obstacles that might attack you.

I'm close to finishing and would like to have this piece in the best shape possible

Any ideas or critiques in general or paintover examples are greatly appreciated

Thank you for your time and generosity. Really, much appreciated!

MLMpIcD.jpg

Replies

• DanglinBob
    Rather than a technical critique, of which I am 90% useless. Thematically I am confused by the names of the ghosts coming out of the circa 2015 Ghost Buster Traps (that's what they are, right? :D)

Why Vex and Lazy? Fear I understand.

Beyond that, why give them such... beat you over the head here's the theme kind of names? I feel like the ghost names are your opportunity to be clever!
  • gurznoble
    Offline / Send Message
    @DanglinBob

Ahh yeah the names, well 'lazy' because sometimes artists procrastinate doing anything art related or put things off to help themselves improve. 'Vex' was the best word that was small enough to explain an artists distress/trouble/worry/anger.

The containment is almost like the inside of our brain, having our inner demons coming out to stop us from doing art and stuff, I tried using more obvious words, like procrastination or self destruction or distress, but the words are way too small when I fit them within those naming boxes, and hard to read, almost becomes just noise at one point.

If you have to strain your eyes to read the letters I feel it will have an negative impact on the piece as a whole.

What other possible solutions do you think I could look towards?

I'm thinking of changing Lazy to 'dawdle' it would feel less corny for sure, and its the farthest away so it should feel slightly harder to read anyways when I fit it in the box

Fear, Dawdle, and Vex now feel better to say in an image I think
  • lotet
    Offline / Send Message
    lotet hero character
    this is really beautiful :)

why no polycount logo? :(
    I would try not to put any actual company logos there though, could be misunderstood as official promotional art or even get you in legal trouble.

I really like the piece, I would just love to see more detail in it. it a bit blurry at the moment, which is fine for most parts, but I would really try making the main character more crisp/clear.
  • gurznoble
    Offline / Send Message
    lotet wrote: »
    this is really beautiful :)

why no polycount logo? :(
    I would try not to put any actual company logos there though, could be misunderstood as official promotional art or even get you in legal trouble.

I really like the piece, I would just love to see more detail in it. it a bit blurry at the moment, which is fine for most parts, but I would really try making the main character more crisp/clear.

Ahh thanks glad you dig, it's actually for a contest- mm I put wacom logo because it was so well known and wanted to bring the meaning back to digital painting in general. I don't know any other stronger way of doing that besides that path atm

In terms of crisp and clear, where would you think I should push out more? I'm trying to balance the ambience and fog with detail. Are the hands and feet mostly bothering you?

I'd love to put the polycount logo and don't mean any insult ^ ^;; it's for a contest, maybe I can edit it when it's finished and replace with a polycount logo after ^ ^

Thanks for your time and contribution
  • gurznoble
    Offline / Send Message
    UPDATE! Again thanks for the tip lotet, I feel this is as far as I can push it. I still have 4 days left to make any changes so crits or paintovers are so very much appreciated!

2IFRR3X.jpg
  • Muzzoid
    Offline / Send Message
    Muzzoid polycounter lvl 10
    Sup reno!

Looking really good man.

Just make sure you don't get lazy on those feet and lower legs!
  • lotet
    Offline / Send Message
    lotet hero character
    I literary just mean sharper more high rez edges, it looks a bit fuzzy/blurry. like you applied a subtle Gaussian blur on everything.

and now that Muzz mentioned it, the feet and legs are a tad weird. like the placement of the feet and the back leg look short.
  • gurznoble
    Offline / Send Message
    @Muzz

Hey Murry ^ ^ fudge you're right, I'l lget right on it!

@lotet

Ahh okay, I'll try to tighten everything up my next pass and take a look at fixing the legs then thanks!

I'm also getting mixed thoughts on my update and my previous iteration. There would be a bounce in my recent image on the ground but it takes away from the focal- so I don't know whether to keep the light bounce or keep it tasteful and leave it out for the sake of focal points

Here are the past iterations

before
    MLMpIcD.jpg

after:
    2IFRR3X.jpg

possible changes: (toned down bottom bounce light)
    kxmtRtK.jpg
  • gurznoble
    Offline / Send Message
    Okay here's an update! Things I've done:

Tried to implement a lot of the crits I was getting all around

Upped up brush crispness, saturation in some places, did a levels correction a bit, fixed the leg placement, added some graphical UI FX on the holo’s

Will see how to make it better tomorrow, and welcome all crits thanks for looking

NSnq0UN.jpg
  • gurznoble
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey guys rendered things even more, pushed edges and highlights + texture identification overall everywhere + more ink fx stuff! hope you dig.

Did a light and dark version Still debating which to go with. Trying to find a middle ground perhaps.

Also used this tool an acquaintance of mine developed. Helped a bunch with fixing my colors during my second render pass especially in my skin. I’d check it out if you haven’t already. As always crits very welcome and much appreciated I have 3 days left in the competition

https://gumroad.com/l/ColorConstructor

lighter version:
    SCckBNd.jpg

darker version:
    bOoRSC2.jpg