Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[WIP] High Poly Lantern

polycounter lvl 12
Offline / Send Message
KyleJensen polycounter lvl 12
This is one of several models I'm working on at the moment as high poly modeling practice. I've added or modified parts of my model to make it different from the reference. When I'm finished with the high poly, I plan on normal mapping it onto a low poly and then go from there (unwrapping, texturing, etc). Crits are appreciated. :)

HighPolyLantern.jpg

Reference:

190308801RpUiDo_fs.jpg

Replies

• rebel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Looking cool. I would try to match these arch things more like reference, they are more sinister looking.

arch.jpg
  • KyleJensen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rebel wrote: »
    Looking cool. I would try to match these arch things more like reference, they are more sinister looking.

arch.jpg
    Thanks! Will do.
  • Moosey_G
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Looking good, the only major problem I see is the arcs with the cross are on the wrong sides and it makes the top look busy.
  • KyleJensen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Moosey_G wrote: »
    Looking good, the only major problem I see is the arcs with the cross are on the wrong sides and it makes the top look busy.

Hmm....Good point. Thanks man.
  • roosterMAP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    roosterMAP polycounter lvl 12
    you have stretching on the top block stack. fix it by adding a closser support edge.
  • r_fletch_r
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    r_fletch_r polycounter lvl 9
    Looks cool, There are a few bits id take a look at though.

paintover.jpg
  • KyleJensen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    r_fletch_r wrote: »
    Looks cool, There are a few bits id take a look at though.

paintover.jpg

Thanks. I'll get right to it. :)
  • r_fletch_r
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    r_fletch_r polycounter lvl 9
    i forgot to hi light the little windows should be open. by the looks of it they would light up when the lantern is lit,
  • KyleJensen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    By the reference it's a little difficult to make out the glass from the metal because it's coated with quite a layer of grunge. If I were to make the sides transparent, should I just use an alpha map when I get to the texturing process?
  • KyleJensen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Here's an update. For those crown-shaped pieces I'm going to use a bump to create the shapes in there when I do the texture for the low poly. Oh, and for those weird nipple-looking pieces that are in the reference? I'm deciding whether or not I should just get rid of them or replace them with something else on my model. If I removed them, it would look more like a lantern because I could turn those panels into glass when I get to the texturing process. Thoughts and crits are appreciated. :D

HighPolyLantern2.jpg
  • AnimeAngel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Looking really good. could use some wear and tear though, especially with the space between the window panels and the main casing of the lantern.
  • KyleJensen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AnimeAngel wrote: »
    Looking really good. could use some wear and tear though, especially with the space between the window panels and the main casing of the lantern.
    Thanks for the crit! :)

Wear and tear in the high poly model though? I'm used to doing the whole wear-and-tear thing when I'm making textures...unless I were to make damaged materials which would require me to model it out. If it's just scratches here and there, then that can be taken care of with a diffuse and bump.

Exactly what kind of wear and tear do you speak of?
  • Moosey_G
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the crit! :)

Wear and tear in the high poly model though? I'm used to doing the whole wear-and-tear thing when I'm making textures...unless I were to make damaged materials which would require me to model it out. If it's just scratches here and there, then that can be taken care of with a diffuse and bump.

Exactly what kind of wear and tear do you speak of?

Zbrush would be your best bet.
  • KyleJensen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Moosey_G wrote: »
    Zbrush would be your best bet.
    Hmm. I see how that could work

I've had little experience with Zbrush at the moment though. I've got basic sculpting down in Zbrush, but I haven't actually imported models from 3dsmax into it to add details and such. Well, there's a first time for everything, so I may as well give it a shot. Thanks for the suggestion. :D
  • Moosey_G
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    GoMax makes the whole process easier, also I've found that Zbrush likes you to select your ztool from within the subtools, because for some reason it binds your subtool to a random sphere which you will destroy your model when transferring it into a polymesh or whatever.
  • Andreas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Andreas polycounter lvl 11
    The beauty of your reference is that it's very warped. I know it's still early days for this asset,but make sure you get that into your model, which at the model looks like it's newly machine made.
  • KyleJensen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The beauty of your reference is that it's very warped. I know it's still early days for this asset,but make sure you get that into your model, which at the model looks like it's newly machine made.

Thanks for the input.

Would a rusty texture do the trick, or should I actually go back and model out some broken pieces?

I'm going to try to see if I can emulate a rusty broken look in Zbrush or something.