Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Soul Calibur II - Egyptian Tomb (Re-imagination)

polycounter lvl 5
Offline / Send Message
Yuke polycounter lvl 5
Hi Polycount!

I'm an aspiring Environment Artist in my final year at University in England and for one of our modules we were given the "BRAWL Challenge" which took place on Polycount a while back! I spent a lot of time looking at various different stages across multiple games and platforms and ultimately settled on a childhood favourite.. Soul Calibur II.

There's a lot of stages I enjoyed in that game and liked the whole 'ring out' idea of the game so wanted to try and include this in my stage as well. Due to my interest in Egyptian history as well I decided to work on the Egyptian Ruins level of Soul Calibur II:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=ULCwE7oAAmY

After playing the stage a few times and gathering some references I worked on creating a quick and simple block-out of the stage (using some references to show the sort of direction I was heading in..)

55ilis.jpg

I planned to post a lot sooner on here in-order to get some feedback throughout the creation progress however I was very unsure of my ability as a 3D Artist because this is the first 'full' environment I have created myself.. We had a hand-in last week and have 3 more weeks to work on the stage further, taking into consideration things such as paintovers and feedback..

Here is the Primary Beauty Render along with a Technical Shot of the scene (the scene is a full 360, which is why the Tri-Count is slightly high considering the wireframes of the meshes):

nytsht.jpg

j66j68.jpg

I also took a few alternate shots of the scene, just to show how it works as an environment and the possibility for entrance sequences for the fighters:

2evt26f.jpg

2cwzsy.jpg

Finally there's some model sheets for a few of the assets in the scene, I've tried to include the more interesting and focal pieces, all the texture sizes are 1024x1024, and the Statues use two maps as they have detachable heads (which saved a lot of modelling time):

x0raxu.jpg

15d0z68.jpg

1zdvuz8.jpg

302x7o8.jpg

2j10k1t.jpg

10f75eh.jpg

Would really appreciate any feedback on absolutely any part of the project ranging right back to basic modelling up to lighting and composition.. I'm definitely willing to go back and improve on any parts I can :) Thanks very much!

Replies

• Ashaman73
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ashaman73 polycounter lvl 6
    Really excellent work so far.

I don't know the reference game, but I would think, that you could push the lighting more. The blue light is somewhat hard to grasp (where is it coming from, below ? Then why are the chests of the statues lit with blue light ?), although push the contrast between blue/orange light more and I miss some more prominent shadows.
  • Yuke
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yuke polycounter lvl 5
    Ashaman73 Thanks very much! I definitely think you're right there, I felt something was off about the lighting but wasn't sure what.. I also hadn't noticed what you mentioned about the source of the blue light and it's play on the statues.. now it's glaringly obvious!

dustinbrown Thanks dustin! I did post a YouTube vid of the scene, to see the whole thing, but I will post a still as well for quick reference. I've tried to move away from the bright overpowering qualities of the original and be a bit more darker/stylized..

About my presentation, the top blockout image is a very old 'design' from my Uni posts that I don't use anymore. But could you give me any tips on how to unify the more recent ones better? I thought by using the same base border, text etc would keep the theme the same. Is it elements such as the parchment background that are killing it or simply the layout?

Edit: Here's a pic of the original scene..

Egyptian_Ruins.jpg
  • stxtch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    stxtch polycounter lvl 5
    You have a nice scene here. The parts that fall flat for me are the sculptures - they don't look truly Egyptian. Here's a nice reference image of Anubis, for instance.

anubis_0.jpg

Apart from the additional colour and pattern elements, pay close attention to the anatomy. The snout is much less pronounced than your sculpt, and seems to taper pretty evenly to the tip. The other statues could use a little more love too.

The other weak point to me is the upper gallery seems like it could use more attention. The architectural elements are just a little too repetitive and there is no lighting attention. This is not the focus of the scene but it should still get some love.
  • kremrhi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    look more inspired (copied) from the work of Faf than from the original scene from the game.
    Would have been better to put your twist in it.

reference :
    http://fafart.blogspot.ca/p/brawl_10.html
  • Yuke
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yuke polycounter lvl 5
    stxtch I think you're right here, character modelling definitely isn't my strong suit and I need to work a lot on nailing the anatomy alongside the reference.. I tried painting the statues but felt they drowned out the background a bit.. I'm going to go back and edit the sculpts and try again as I feel some more "Egyptian" design paintings on the statues could really sell it a lot more.

kremrhi Yeah, I found Fafs version of the stage a few weeks ago after I'd done a lot of my modelling and sent her some messages about how she went about different parts of her stage.. her scene was a huge inspiration to how I lit mine as I had never done lighting before and had trouble getting the blues and oranges in that seemed to be apparent in other Egyptian scenes.

2myydqo.jpg