Home General Discussion

DSLR help?

Hi' i'm looking to take photos for textures for both games and film and I am a total noob when it comes to cameras.

Found a Nikon D3200 in a kit with I think they said an 18-55 lens for $400.

Thing is I have no idea if a 18-55 lens is good for texture photos or if i'd be more wanting a different one (idk if theres more than one type of 18-55 either). Can anyone offer insight into if this is a good purchase for beginner texture photos and also if the lens it comes with is what I need?

I also want to be able to use it when I go to the Jenolan Caves and just general family photo type things.

Replies

• Dataday
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dataday polycounter lvl 8
    I have replaced my dslr with a camera phone believe it or not... works better for textures and general photos. Grab a Lumia 1020 while they are still around (they are no longer in production, so you can get them fairly cheap via ebay, amazon..ect). I bought two for around $250 each.

Should probably explain why its better... Spec wise it comes in at an unheard of 41 megapixels (1/1.5 inch sensor), xenon flash, f2.2 Carl Zeiss lens... has that wonderfully patented PureView integrated into it. Tops it off with image oversampling. So its pretty much a beast with a small form factor.

What it allows me to do (due to its form factor and hardware specs..aka mini computer) is take highly detailed photos, zoom in with practically little to no visible loss in quality (even after the photo is taken), edit on the phone, auto upload shots to OneDrive (meaning I can take photos where ever, and delete the after a few minutes because they will already be uploaded on the cloud and accessible from my home PC). RAW images are also bundled with the shots, so you can get a quick jpeg and a raw image in one shot. You have full manual control via the phone app...and here's the best part, battery life is long because its a phone. Just have a couple of those usb battery chargers on hand and you wont really worry about battery at all.

It is literally the perfect device for artist who need to grab textures on the go or take general photos. DSLR is overkill, and its a major pain in the arse to lug something like that around everywhere you go.

Anyways, really enthusiastic about this particular device. It has made my life so much easier when it comes to photography on the go.

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rWecL7GpG2I[/ame]
    [ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SlgGSbkzma4[/ame]
  • Ark
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ark polycounter lvl 11
    There's a thread here that has a lot of great advice: http://www.polycount.com/forum/showthread.php?t=79655
  • Joost
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joost polycount sponsor
    Can you share some examples please, Dataday? I'm intrigued.
  • gnoop
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gnoop polycounter
  • gnoop
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gnoop polycounter
    I am not a photo guru but also think you don't need DSLR at all for such subject as textures. You basically don't need all those features DSLR and all expensive cameras designed for. You don't need bokeh, speedy auto-focus , zoom , even much of dynamic range since you would want to shot texture under cloudy or hazy lighting.
    You'd want an opposite of what expensive cameras offer. Not a cool background softening but rather a crispy picture with maximum depth of field/focus with low aperture values.
    Only thing important is shot-to-shot speed. Thus I am not sure a huge mpix count would do so very speedy and you can always come closer to make more pictures and stitch them afterward.
    If you are going to use phogrametry the last is even preferable since you would need eternity to work with too hi res images.

In a word nice modern phone could be well enough imo or maybe I am too lazy to take even micro4/3 with me. My old DSLR collecting dust somewhere many years already and I do shot textures almost every day
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    We've got a big thread for general DSLR advice here: http://www.polycount.com/forum/showthread.php?t=79655

I will say one thing though, the OP is concerned with not only texture reference but using his camera for general purpose photography, in which case a DSLR, mirrorless, or a high end point & shoot like the Sony RX100 line makes perfect sense. The 18-55mm kit lens an entry level Canon or Nikon camera comes with with be suitable shooting in daylight, for lower light you will probably want a fast prime. Nikon 35mm 1.8 and/or 50mm 1.8 are very good budget options. A 50mm 1.8 will also be good for portraits, narrow depth of field shooting and general artistic purposes.

Here is a thread specifically about texture reference: http://www.polycount.com/forum/showthread.php?t=153940
  • peteed1985
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ended up getting a Nikon D3200 from JB. Body, 18-55mm, 16gb SD card, carry bag, lens filter.

All of that priced separately would be $607 and I got it for $420 :)

Need to go to Teds and get a $50 lens hood and maybe a better bigger carry bag that can hold the camera while the lens is attached and maybe a better strap.

So far i'm happy with it even if I don't know what stuff does, so many knobs and buttons haha.
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cool! Don't pay $50 for a lens hood. Buy a generic one (it's just a cheap piece of plastic either way) on ebay/amazon for $5.

Also, read this book: [ame="http://www.amazon.com/Understanding-Exposure-3rd-Edition-Photographs/dp/0817439390"]Understanding Exposure, 3rd Edition: How to Shoot Great Photographs with Any Camera: Bryan Peterson: 0884798534707: Amazon.com: Books[/ame]
    It will teach you the basics of the exposure triangle, or how aperture, shutter speed and ISO work together.
  • peteed1985
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    EarthQuake wrote: »
    Cool! Don't pay $50 for a lens hood. Buy a generic one (it's just a cheap piece of plastic either way) on ebay/amazon for $5.

Also, read this book: Understanding Exposure, 3rd Edition: How to Shoot Great Photographs with Any Camera: Bryan Peterson: 0884798534707: Amazon.com: Books
    It will teach you the basics of the exposure triangle, or how aperture, shutter speed and ISO work together.

They didn't have stock and I already put a $10 deposit on to order it in. Add to that the fact that I originally was gunna buy the red body in a kit from them for $400 and had them put it aside for me and then backed out and I kinda am obligated.
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ah well, for next time, you can almost always get generic lens hoods for way less than the official ones, such as: [ame="http://www.amazon.com/Fotasy-Cleaning-NIKKOR18-55mm-3-5-5-6G-replaces/dp/B00LG6AMIM/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1435857550&sr=8-3&keywords=nikon+18-55mm+hood"]Amazon.com : Fotasy Bayonet Lens Hood and Cleaning Cloth for Nikon AF-S DX NIKKOR18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G VR II lens, replaces Nikon HB-69 : Camera & Photo[/ame]