Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

H&K SL8-1

So I'm trying to really define myself as a hard surface modeler lately while trying to figure out what to put in my portfolio. I been looking at a lot of portfolios and it seems almost every hard surface modeler has a gun of some kind and I have been wanting to model a gun for a long time so I figured why not.

I wanted to do something sleek and futuristic so I decided upon the Heckler and Kosh SL8-1

ReferenceSheet_Master_zps2527856b.jpg

My first step was to collect reference I think in total I have 150+ reference images I have gathered of different parts, angles, breakdowns along with you tube videos and the user Manuel. I then did a material break down {above] getting an idea for the base spec gloss and diffuse by applying flat colors to a plan in marmoset and matching them to photo reference.

partsmaster_zps4dd92249.jpg

The next step was to break the gun down into different parts to break down the high poly modeling process into several easily modelable chunks. I been modeling this for the past week or so and I think I'm finally ready to move to the low poly than baking phase (minus the hook for the sling on the stock) but I wanted to get some critique first.

cropped1_zpsb78db2e9.jpg

cropped2_zpsa801718c.jpg

cropped3_zps686fa56a.jpg

Let me know what you think and thanks for any critique in advance.:poly122:

Replies

• Shrike
    Offline / Send Message
    Shrike interpolator
    the form and proportions look alright, but I dont know the rifle, but the main thing is that your edges are waay too hard for baking purposes, even for movie CG its really tense. Your mag looks like a lowpoly from far. You need to create softer edges than you would have in real life
  • Judgernaut
    Coming along very nicely! I like the sharpness of your edges, and where you are varying up that sharpness seems thought out, and believable.

Is the bullet a separate piece of geometry? If not I might make it a separate one, that you then bake down onto something more like what I think you have there for the low res. I only bring it up because the transition between the bullet and the other parts of the clip feels much too soft currently, and you want to really sell that it is a separate object.

Looking good though! Can't wait to see you flesh out more of the details!
  • BarnabyJones
    @shrike: thanks for the feedback. My buddy said the same thing so I reworked the edge softness on all my meshes.

@Judgernaut: The bullet and magazine are separate meshes I think I will bake them down as such too

jbqi.jpg
    ih6j.jpg

Quick update: I reworked all the edges so they are softer. I also added a flash suppressor and a hook for the sling on the back.
  • DanArt
    The edges look more refined alright. Are you going to add the holes/gaps at the front structure covering the barrel?
  • BarnabyJones
    @DamArt: I thought about it but I think I'm going to keep it as is for now maybe if I find I have more time as I'm retopologising it
  • BarnabyJones
    So its been a week or 2 since I updated this I wanted to get through baking and re-topology before I updated this. The textures right now are base values and are subject to change I would really appreciate critique greatly.
    vukg.jpg
    jac9.jpg
    cyv7.jpg
    I think the FOV might be a bit much I'm working on my presentation skills and would greatly appreciate anyone has on that.
  • RedRogueXIII
    Offline / Send Message
    RedRogueXIII polycounter lvl 11
    Some observations
    - More wider highlights on the plastic (More gloss) for softer edges.
    - Smooth/bake errors, back of grip hole, on the foregrip.
    Looks like your on the right track, just a little rough around the edges. Good luck with the texturing and presentation.
  • BarnabyJones
    So finally got the whole thing textured and rendered also got my website up check it out and let me know what you guys think
    dkamentsky_sl8_shot1.png
    dkamentsky_sl8_shot2.png
    dkamentsky_sl8_shot3.png
    dkamentsky_sl8_shot5.png
    dkamentsky_sl8_shot6.png
    dkamentsky_sl8_shot7.png
    dkamentsky_sl8_shot4.png
    dkamentsky_sl8_texture.png
  • 3Drobbo
    That's looking great man! Those last few screenshots seem to pop more than the other. Very cool!