Home Digital Sketchbooks

Sketchbook: BarnabyJones

Hey all you fellow polycounters time for some sculpting. Since the begging of this quarter at my school I have gotten into the habit of doing a sculpt everyday. They are finally at the point where they are starting to look ok so I decided why not share them with the internet.:shifty:

Anyways here is 4-12-2012
bprcomposit.jpg
I been working on anatomy studies of the face so the next few to follow will probably be heads. Any C&C is welcome

Replies

• Donavonyoung
    Offline / Send Message
    Donavonyoung polycounter lvl 6
    Are you using any reference when doing these. If not i really suggest you do. The proportions of the face are pretty off. Ears should stick out some. The face is really flat, and should be a bit deeper, the skull is a bit small as well.
  • Joshua Stubbles
    Offline / Send Message
    Joshua Stubbles polycounter lvl 19
    Renamed thread and brought it into the sketch forum. If this is a continual process, this is a great place to do it :)
  • BarnabyJones
    I try to use real reference rather than sculpted but I love the planes of the face reference if you have any good reference I would love to see it.
  • BarnabyJones
    4-13-2012
    anatomystud4132012.jpg
    I think I'm starting to get the hang of the lips and the eyes but my proportions are still off. C&C is welcome and very appreciated also if any of you have any helpful reference pics I would appreciate that too
  • amadarien
    Offline / Send Message
    amadarien polycounter lvl 8
    Heya! The proportions definitely are what's lacking, but the image is definitely coming along. Let's see.. maybe I can help with the proportions.

loomis.jpg

Andrew Loomis was an extremely talented Illustrator. You can usually find his books online (they were out of print too, but I think recently they've become available for purchase). Another talented artist is Ron Lemen and he has a series on anatomy instruction.

Hope this helps!
  • BarnabyJones
    amadarien- thanks alot for the reference it helped a ton with getting my proportions right. I actually took screens of my sculpt and overlayed the above image to try and get the proportions right.
    4-14-2012
    bprcomp.jpg
    Ok so I think I'm starting to get the hang of proportions though they are still off. Also the edge lips could be wider and there for the pupils could be further apart. As always any C&C advice reference images or notes are more than welcome.
  • BarnabyJones
    4-15-2012 well technically 4-16-2012 but who is counting >.>
    4152012composit.jpg
    So with this one I think I had a break through with my proportions and anatomy. It may be just because I spent my whole day working on it but w/e. Since I liked the anatomy so much I decided to fully develop it with hair skin texture and polypaint. As always any C&C advice reference images or notes are more than welcome.
  • amadarien
    Offline / Send Message
    Glad you found it useful!
  • BarnabyJones
    4-16-2012
    4162012.jpg
    Pulled an all nighter so I'm going to go ahead and count this as 4-16-2012. This was a 1 hour to 1.5 hour speed sculpt without reference starting to feel alot more confident with faces but still have a ways to go. Might move on to the other parts of the body... I need to sleep first though. As always any C&C advice reference images or notes are more than welcome.

P.S. Too lazy for bpr
  • amadarien
    Offline / Send Message
    The proportions are definitely improving. :) Nice job.
  • BarnabyJones
    4-17-2012
    4172012.jpg
    So I was sculpting this and using hellboy as a reference but as I got closer to the finished project I decided why not go full on hellboys. Anyways this is what I came up with. As always any C&C advice reference images or notes are more than welcome.
  • BarnabyJones
    4-19-2012
    So I know its been a day since I last posted (2 actually for you) but I'm in the middle of working on my first full blown charachter. The vigilanty.

Here is the call sheet or at least that is what I think its called
    callsheet.jpg
    I'm kinda going for a hellboy meets punisher with a little bit of gambit and some x marine.

Here is the head which I think is done besides the hair and such and maybe a couple fixes.
    4192012head.jpg

Here is the body sculpt so far its really rough and I'm still trying to figure out the way the muscles are formed. I also know its out of proportion but thats mostly because I want him to have a large build.
    4192012.jpg

Again its my first charachter so its still a little rough. I will keep posting though for anyone thats still reading and for myself. As always any C&C advice reference images or notes are more than welcome.
  • BarnabyJones
    4_20_2012
    4202012body.jpg
    So my character is coming along nicely and I think I'm starting to get the hang of anatomy though the legs still look messed up... I need to do more studies but I think this was good enough for what I needed it for so I moved on.
    4202012clothes.jpg
    Trying now to do some fabric stuff and discovering that cloth is a whole new battle but after tackling anatomy and face studies my confidence is up. As always any C&C advice reference images or notes are more than welcome.
  • BarnabyJones
    4/21/2012
    4212012.jpg
    So more study of clothing looking at my last post I can deffinetly see the improvement. I have to say I'm glad I started this sketchbook its nice to be able to see my progress. Anyways I thought this one deserved a bpr. As always any C&C advice reference images or notes are more than welcome.
  • Stoop_Kid
    Hey dude, your character is looking pretty cool so far, but there are some things that concern me.

I feel the pectoral/deltoid/bicep area is a bit iffy. Check out the area where the pec inserts into the arm, and how the deltoid folds over top of that, and how the bicep muscle kind of comes out from under those. It's hard to describe in words, but hopefully this picture helps the idea! :p

Shoulder-Muscles-Diagram.jpg

Also, the legs may be a bit too long or the arms may be a bit too short; I can't really put my finger on it, but definitely give that a once-over.

As far as cloth goes, the first thing that popped into my mind was this:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J6IKYPrHDz0"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J6IKYPrHDz0[/ame]

You may have already seen it, but super awesome how it breaks down the types of folds. Cloth is something I'm struggling with as well, so I know how you feel. :)

Good luck, and I hope I could help. It's going swimmingly so far! :D
  • BarnabyJones
    Stoop_Kid first of all awsome name second I saw what you meant with the biceps and I tried to fix it did it work third thanks for the video and finaly thanks for comenting (=.

4-22-2012

4222012.jpg
    Not much too say except fuck shoes and trying to add some color. As always any C&C advice reference images or notes are more than welcome.
  • Eoq
    Offline / Send Message
    Eoq polycounter lvl 8
    "Not much too say except fuck shoe...." Word :D
  • BarnabyJones
    4-23-2012
    Today was a productive day
    conceptsculpt.jpg
    First of all concept speed sculpt for a game me and my friend are working on. Nothing special just been working on this character to much and wanted to sculpt something not clothing related.
    4232012.jpg
    I busted out what I think is a decent trench coat also fixed some proportions with the legs. Now all thats left for the HP is some face detail, tank goggles and dog tags. Then I might do a paint over in photoshop for reference and a class project. As always any C&C advice reference images or notes are more than welcome.
  • amadarien
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey man, your heads have gotten a lot better too - nice work.
  • BarnabyJones
    amadarien- thanks I been practicing

4-24-2012
    4242012.jpg
    So taking a much needed brake from the character I'm developing to revisit my hell boy sculpt. I found this reference http://www.kropserkel.com/Images/Nellboy.jpg and I couldn't resist. Anyways I think I have deffinetly improved since my last attempt which was crazy since it was a week ago but I guess thats what happens when you sculpt continuously for 14 to 12 hours a day for a whole week =/ who knew? As always any C&C advice reference images or notes are more than welcome.
  • BarnabyJones
    4-25-2012
    Still taking a break from my charachter but only because I'm working on a colobaritive project with magmabolt and we need to develope some concept.
    4252012.jpg
    That and hard surface sculpting is the shit. But anyways this is a concept you can check out in magmabolt and we need to develope some concept.
    4252012.jpg sketch thread (shameless plug for our project). I'm hoping I can live up to the concept though I'm iffy about the alphas I added here is closer look.42520122.jpg
    At any rate it still needs work. As always any C&C advice reference images or notes are more than welcome.
  • BarnabyJones
    been away for 2 days so I'm going to try and make up for it
    4/28/2012-
    42920122.jpg
    First of all here is some progress on the concept sculpt I was working on decided to ditch the alpha and add some hoses instead
    4292012.jpg
    This is the latest update on the charachter I'm working on (added goggles). I have decided to take this back to the drawing board and do a 2.0 version of it while finishing the current version.
    42920122sil.jpg
    Finally here are thumbs for version 2.0 of the vigilantly.... breaks over back to work...As always any C&C advice reference images or notes are more than welcome.
  • BarnabyJones
    4/29/2012
    So I finally finished the character I was working on (or atleast its as done as its going to get).
    kamentskypbp3final.jpg
    Its essentialy a paint over
    Also
    posex.jpg
    here is another attempt at concept art. As always any C&C advice reference images or notes are more than welcome.
  • BarnabyJones
    So ya after a really long break and time of me not posting I finally got back to modeling. During my down time I have been practicing my anatomy so any notes anyone has on proportions or muscles would be greatly appreciated
    bpruncolored.jpg
    As always any C&C advice reference images or notes are more than welcome.