Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[WIP] Mobile assault turret

polycounter lvl 12
Offline / Send Message
KyleJensen polycounter lvl 12
Remember 3D Motive's Subject Zed contest? I submitted this model with a texture pass, and when the contest ended I decided to work on it more. Here's what I've been working on:

992 tris

Ynd7W.jpg

l2N1e.jpg

l0tQ3.jpg

KC9dq.jpg

Diffuse:

xYKVa.jpg

I want to bring this to finish. Crits are encouraged, comments are welcome. :)

Replies

• Snacuum
    Offline / Send Message
    Snacuum polycounter lvl 9
    Killzone, Portal and Deus Ex had a baby.
  • chellyn
  • praetor187
    Offline / Send Message
    praetor187 polycounter lvl 11
    Looking really cool. I think there are too many fine scratches on the legs of the turret cleaning those up may improve the piece but its more of a personal preference. good work nonetheless.
  • TehSplatt
    Offline / Send Message
    TehSplatt polycounter lvl 11
    Pretty awesome
  • ageless
    You hand painted all the highlights/specular details in the diffuse map or used any other trick??...the spec map has really come out quite good.
  • KyleJensen
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for all the crits/comments, guys. :D

@snacuum: Hahaha. I see what you mean. I still need to play the new Deus Ex. I've been hearing good things about it.

@praetor187: I could reduce some of the fine scratches and see how that looks. Good suggestion.

@ageless: All of the lighting is painted into the diffuse, so there is no spec map. However, I could easily make a spec map for this, but I'd have to make it so that it cooperates with the painted lighting. I might have to tone down the highlights so they don't get blown-out if/when a spec map is applied.

:)
  • SHEPEIRO
    Offline / Send Message
    SHEPEIRO polycounter lvl 17
    nice.. i would tone down the scratching/nicks on some of the main body as they are slightly noisy and reducing them would make the forms pop and allow the eyes to rest a little
  • KyleJensen
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the crits. I've worked on a number of areas and I've reduced the amount of nicks on a couple of the larger pieces.

EDIT: The noisiness of the scratches on the legs have been brought to my attention. They're being taken care of.

qH9vp.jpg

0YSWz.jpg

d7mCY.jpg

SJbxQ.jpg

Crits are encouraged, comments are appreciated. :)
  • Jessica Dinh
    Offline / Send Message
    Jessica Dinh polycounter lvl 10
    This looks pretty freaking awesome! :] The texturing/lighting is really clean/consistent/believable.

I agree that there are too many fine scratches on the legs (they are distracting), and once you've reduced those, I think this will look even better. One other thing that's bothering me a bit is the turret barrel - there are scratches almost everywhere, but this one piece is completely clean - add at least a little color variation/dirt, and maybe a scratch or two and you'll be golden. Right now it sticks out too much. Awesome stuff, keep it up!
  • KyleJensen
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the crits, Jess. ^_^

I've decided to paint over the current scratches on the legs and place some new ones in more sparingly.

I agree about the cannon looking too clean. Time to grunge it up a bit and add some more color. :D
  • KyleJensen
    Offline / Send Message
    Cleaned up the scratches and added some damage to the cannon.

OyXBK.jpg

b6WSt.jpg

Crits/comments welcome. :)
  • Blaisoid
    Offline / Send Message
    Blaisoid polycounter lvl 7
    looks cool.
    one thing i noticed is that worn/scrathed edges of purple plates have a very similar hue to areas around it. if the material below paint is metal, it shouldn't have same properties that paint has.
    if you tweak their hue it'll probably also make texture feel more rich color wise.
  • SHEPEIRO
    Offline / Send Message
    much better. very cool
  • KyleJensen
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the crits/comments:

@Blaisoid: I've adjusted the hue of the scratches.

ETgEz.jpg

How does it look?
  • KyleJensen
    Offline / Send Message
    I finally got a copy of Marmoset Toolbag. Spent some time recreating the render setup I use in 3Ds Max. :)

WxkrY.jpg

Crits/comments welcome. :)
  • Lephenix
    Offline / Send Message
    Lephenix polycounter lvl 6
    Really nice and much better than the previous renders.
  • KyleJensen
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks!

I might do a final pass on the texture before calling this done, so I'm open to all crits. :)
  • Ghostscape
    Offline / Send Message
    Ghostscape polycounter lvl 13
    With how important the gun is as a focal point, I would really spend a few polys rounding it out a bit more, modeling the interior of the barel so you get a bit of depth/parallax, and fixing the nasty seam between the side and the front.

I assumed this was a diffuse-only material pass but with the marmoset render you've set up it looks like you've got a specular channel in there to further blow-out all the painted spec? I'm not sure that's really necessary.

It looks really good for what it is - the WoW-esque handpainted, cartoony style with rampant edge highlighting and metal that cups and gouges like wood or plastic.

I would spend some time working on differentiating the materials a bit more - right now everything has that samey plastic/metal hybrid thing going on, which makes it difficult to tell what is what. If the blue/purple is supposed to be painted metal, I'd flake the metal off around the gouges.

The mud on the feet does not appear to wrap all the way around, instead it is clinging to the interior of the front purple face, which reads a bit odd - you might want to try projection-painting it so you can get consistent coverage across the foot shapes.

You might want to consider replacing the "full" missle rack with a the empty missile rack and modeling out the missiles so they can be "launched" - but that's kind of a "how are we implementing this in-game?" kind of question.
  • SHEPEIRO
    Offline / Send Message
    i agree with ghostscape that a bit more material differentiation could help...

i did quick messy paintover to add a bit more bare metal to parts.

paintover100.jpg
  • KyleJensen
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the crits, guys. :)

I've chipped paint in a few areas, added some mud to the backside of the legs, gave the cannon more tris and beveled the opening to give it more dimension, and I've modeled out and textured some rockets.

New triangle counts:

Turret with rockets loaded: 1,240 tris

Rockets: 46 tris (each)

Turret without rockets: 1,056 tris

8VQGt.jpg

gGav6.jpg

bDuL6.jpg

9aKIf.jpg

ROd11.jpg

Crits/comments are greatly appreciated. :)