Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

(NSFW) Silly Female for 3D print

polycounter lvl 8
Offline / Send Message
Texelion polycounter lvl 8
Hey guys,

so, a client asked me to do one of his characters in 3D so he could print it. Here it is :

death_god_vulnoa_by_blitza-d6tozp6.jpg

Well I knew the silly huge breasts would be a problem, but I didn't think that it would be THAT difficult to sculpt a fecking anime head. The lack of defined volumes is a nightmare...

So here is where I am :

Vulnoa_01.jpg

It's really bad, and I really feel like a noob who never did a character before... really need some help to get out of this mess.

LATEST UPDATE :

Vulnoa_06.jpg

Vulnoa_07.jpg

Vulnoa_05.jpg

Replies

• Brian "Panda" Choi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Brian "Panda" Choi high dynamic range
    Perhaps the nose should be sculpted like an animal nose as opposed to a human one? Understandably, the dark triangle in the illustration looks like a nose shadow, but there might be a good assertion here to treat this like a dog snout.
  • PyrZern
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PyrZern polycounter lvl 12
    Usually when it comes to anime style, the face is very flat. Not flat flat, but round flat ;P And the only thing protruding is the nose, usually in diamond shape with shorter bottom end.
  • lotet
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    lotet hero character
    oh my god...thats is just... I dont even know.

For actual crits I think you should widen the hips and make the legs longer. like 60% Bayonetta or something like that.

EDIT: (checked out this guys deviant art page, that is some wieeerd shiiet, good luck mate, your gonna need it xD)
  • Gobliness
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gobliness polycounter lvl 4
    Those breasts..your client must like playing basketball..a lot.

I feel like you are treating the head more like a human's than an animal's head. Adding the ears in will help as well as the snout that has already been mentioned.

I also noticed that the top of the cranium is way too high. I did a filthy paint over to show the planes of the face a bit better and her head is tilted so maybe you saw her frontal bone going up that high?

l4hIyny.png

I seriously feel for you though. An animal human hybrid like that in an anime style. Good luck man!
  • Steve Schulze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Steve Schulze polycounter lvl 18
    My. That girls going to have some terrible back problems.

You need to broaden and bulk up everything below the breasts quite considerably. The concept looks less out of proportion (taking it to ridiculous rather than ludicrous) because the hips and belly have some meat on them.
  • Fingus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fingus polycounter lvl 11
    That.... Sure is something.

This is never a good sign when you find a deviantart gallery:

StkJ0ql.png
  • Bartalon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bartalon polycounter lvl 12
    0/10 would not visit

But hey, if he's paying you for a commission...
  • Texelion
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the crits guys, I'll work on that today ^^.

He just put the mature flag on all of the pics because of huge or nude boobs. I don't like this kind of character either but well, I never did it before, could learn some stuff, and as you say, I'm paid for it ^^.

PyrZern : that's exactly the problem : it's flat, so I don't know what to sculpt. It's a 3D print so I guess there should be some volume to print... or maybe just the polypaint...

Also I don't understand the proportions of the face. How could the nose and chin be so small, but the head still looks adult and fit the body ?
  • JordanN
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JordanN interpolator
    You can make your life a million times easier by looking for references. Try looking for Japanese PS3 games and observing each model's topology.

I'd also recommend looking at Fire Emblem Awakening's cut scene models (though a piece of warning: avoid looking at the in game assets unless you want your character to be a peg legged pirate).
  • whiketan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    whiketan polycounter lvl 3
    I still don't understand the appeal of gigantic boobs. It just seems so unnatural. Anyways, The real trouble with anime/manga faces is that because of the way people learn to draw them, and the fact that they're highly stylized the topology literally changes depending on the view they are observed. Notice that the nose appears slightly off center, and that while the right side of the face (her right) has a sharp(er) well defined kind of edge, the left side appears somewhat elongated and much more round.
    I agree with Gobliness and jadeeyepanda on the animal aspects, though you should do an animal nose and a more human nose and ask the client which he more prefers.
    I also agree with PyrZern on the more flattened face, as anime /manga style is so simplified that details like cheeks and dimples and such are usually flattened together. Good luck.
  • stevston89
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    stevston89 interpolator
    Take a look at how Hazardous tackled anime faces. It turned out really well might help you with your sculpt. Here is a link.

[edit] Just realized he has a whole tutorial on the piece here is a link.
  • PyrZern
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Stev beat me to it to Haz's link.

Go to low subdiv, and smooth the crap out of the whole face. Bwammm, got yourself an anime face. @_@
  • Texelion
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fuck yeah ! I'm already reading the hatsune course, but the pdf is even better.

I checked the proportions and she is 7 heads and a half tall, I guess 8 heads should be ok so I did longer legs as suggested by Lotet. However I don't think she should look like Bayonetta, Bayonetta has a really small head compared to his body, and Vulnoa does not.
  • kevlar jens
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    boy those are quite the pair of bazongas lol

Apart from looking at Haz' work as mentioned, you could look at some anime figurines.
  • Stinkfoot
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Stinkfoot polycounter lvl 11
    It's an interesting challenge, Good luck! I'm looking forward to your solutions!

Also:
    Be sure to model some support stands and beams for your client to print out as well, as that buxom will cause that statue to tip over and smash the table in two.
  • lotet
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    lotet hero character
    Texelion wrote: »
    I checked the proportions and she is 7 heads and a half tall, I guess 8 heads should be ok so I did longer legs as suggested by Lotet. However I don't think she should look like Bayonetta, Bayonetta has a really small head compared to his body, and Vulnoa does not.

oh, I was only talking about the hips compared to the body, not the entire figure :)
  • spiderDude
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    spiderDude polycounter lvl 8
    Check out some of Haz's videos on twitch, mainly when he is sculpting Bliss. Its more defined than your average anime face but its a good ref none the less.
  • Texelion
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for all the feedbacks guys, it was really helpful. I think I'm starting to get somewhere with this. Took me hours, but I managed to have a cute face. I changed the body a bit too, blocked the ears and did a placeholder for the hair just to see how it look ( I will sculpt the final hair once posed ).

Vulnoa_02.jpg

I won't work on this for at least a week, I have another work to do, so feel free to give your thought ^^.
  • PyrZern
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Looks like you already pushed her head and upper torso back a bit to counterbalance the watermelons :)
  • Brian "Panda" Choi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Brian "Panda" Choi high dynamic range
    How do you do the eyeliner in ZBrush?
  • DWalker
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The eyes are a bit more realistic than in the concept. The concept eyes are larger, and have sharper corners.

The mouth might be a bit too wide (when compared to the concept; it's fine for a realistic model). Most of the width in the concept seems to be from a one-sided smirk.

The breast/torso seam seems very sharp. Even with such an improbable size, the actual juncture will be smooth, with a crease appearing on the underside of the breast where gravity pulls it down.
  • lotet
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    lotet hero character
    I think you should take a look at the profile/side view of her face.

its needs more upper lip and a more defined chin/jaw, especially since its anime based, the jaw line should be really sharp.
  • taipoh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I have to echo lotet's thoughts, perhaps this reference might be of some help? http://www.watchcartoononline.com/thumb/valkyria-chronicles-episode-15-english-subbed.jpg this is from valkyria chronicles, if you would like to find more reference of it. If you like more rounded features (the character's cheeks are pretty round), perhaps something like Trusty Bell/Eternal Sonata- http://insomnia.ac/archive/games/xbox360/t/trustybell/screenshot4_jp.jpg
  • Wishie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I agree you need to define her jawline more. It blend in with the neck a bit much for an anime type sculpt.

Closest example I could find:
    SAoxB7l.jpg

If you're in need of references, I would look at anime pvc figures, especially if this is going to be 3d printed.

A couple of links:
    Good Smile Co.
    Hobby Link Japan

I don't know any figures that would have similar physiques that you're going after. Could also search for "kotobukiya bishoujo" or "bishoujo figures".
  • taipoh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wishie wrote: »
    I don't know any figures that would have similar physiques that you're going after.
    Queen's Blade, perhaps. I think one of the character, Cattleya has that crazy proportion as well, if you're looking for references.
  • Texelion
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    How do you do the eyeliner in ZBrush?

You mean the upper eyelashes ? It's just a sculpted mesh from a sphere.

Ok I'll try to refine the head, I smoothed the jawline to much, and when I work in dynamesh I can't keep sharp corners on the eyes, they disappear each time I refresh, but I will change that at the end when I don't need to refresh anymore. The mouth will be changed one she is posed and not in symmetry anymore.

So much nice miniatures, I could spend days saving all those images for refs ^^. I had the Queen's Blade artbook but I've lost it when my hard drive crashed some months ago...

I didn't work on the boobs yet, it won't be easy to make them look like they are squeezed together...

Oh yeah I forget something, about the balance of the character and how she will stand still : she has nine big tails on her back, I think it will counterbalance the weight of the boobs. The hair are massive too. But I will email my client to talk about those problems, I don't think he thought about how she will stand...
  • Texelion
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Some progress, with a more defined jawline and bigger eyes. I'll finish the expression once posed though.

I wonder if they will be able to print the inside of the "dress", I know it's hard to print a cavity and overlapped stuff, right ?

Vulnoa_03.jpg
  • lotet
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    lotet hero character
    wow, looks much better, I think the chin is a bit to pointy, and protruding a bit to much out of the face.
    whats your thought process of the hair? I think its a bit to realistically sculpted at the moment, but i guess its still very WIP.
  • spiderDude
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Looking nice, good job with the face!
    I agree about the hair, go for the big forms, it'll match up better with the rest of the sculpt.
  • TAN
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TAN polycounter lvl 12
    whiketan wrote: »
    I still don't understand the appeal of gigantic boobs. It just seems so unnatural.

Hey ! Everyone has their preferences :D

Keep it mate. I had a really terrible time when I first sculpted a female anime face :D
  • whiketan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    whiketan polycounter lvl 3
    obviously everyone has their own, I was simnply just stating mine. ;)
    Very nice sculpt so far!
  • DWalker
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Keep in mind that the concept's ears look very mobile; her right ear is 180 degrees off the left one - facing back rather than forwards. I suspect that the neutral position for the ears is to the side, and they can rotate 90 degrees to the left or right. Even this guy had to rotate his ears to face forward:
    rabbit-ears.jpg

Her chin seems rather pointed now (in the front view), but that might just be the lighting/normals.

As far as the cloth is concerned, consider making multiple pieces; this batman vinyl figure, for example, had a dozen pieces:
    vmk-a375-batman-parts.jpg
  • Texelion
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Agree with the chin, it makes a tight specular spot and I don't like that.

The ears are not even merged with the head, I just added them to have a better look, of course they won't stay like that, she's not posed yet.

And the clothes are separated in pieces.

Same for the hair, I said it was a placeholder just to see how it looks like, I'll sculpt the real hair later ^^.

Well I showed it to the client and he's more than happy with it ( but he wants bigger boobs XD ), he even think about asking me to sculpt all his other characters...

I'll show more progress when it's posed and with the missing parts.

Now I have some problems with the company he chose to print it ( Shapeways ), they have a limit of 1 Million polygons, the mesh should be hollow with a 2-3mm wall thickness ( I dont know how they can know if the mesh is "full" or "hollow", and how they can print a hollow mesh, seems very powerful ), and the mesh should have a certain size, and be exported in a specific format ( VRML2 for color printing, never heard of that... a simple OBJ can store vertex color as well... ). It bothers me because 1) I didn't make the mesh hollow and 2) a hollow mesh will require almost twice the polygons, so it means a lot of resolution loss for the polypaint...
  • DWalker
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I think you missed my point about the multiple pieces. Is there any reason you can't print the model in multiple pieces and glue them together when finished? Some of the samples on their site seem to indicate this is possible, at least for some materials.

Looking at their site (http://www.shapeways.com/materials/), it's apparent that they charge based on the type and quantity of material used. Thus, a hollow model will be much cheaper than a solid one. 2-3mm thick is probably the thinnest that will be stable.
  • Texelion
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Oh I see, sorry I didn't understand you were talking about the printing process. The client asked me not to separate the pieces, he wants to print it as a whole ( he said he already did that and it worked ). Only the base will be separated.

Also, the only material which can be colored is Sandstone, so he will use this ( http://www.shapeways.com/materials/sandstone ).

Now I don't know any simple way to do a hollow mesh without destroying everything, or having to retopo, apply a shell modifier in MAX and resculpt everything... I think it will take time so I'll have to charge more, and printing a full mesh will be cheaper than paying for the extra work ^^.

But at least I can keep that in mind for the next model.
  • PyrZern
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I think Hazardousarts, or someone using Kingdom Death sculpt, made tutorials about preparing figurine for print.
  • Steve Schulze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Oh I see, sorry I didn't understand you were talking about the printing process. The client asked me not to separate the pieces, he wants to print it as a whole ( he said he already did that and it worked ). Only the base will be separated.

Also, the only material which can be colored is Sandstone, so he will use this ( http://www.shapeways.com/materials/sandstone ).

Now I don't know any simple way to do a hollow mesh without destroying everything, or having to retopo, apply a shell modifier in MAX and resculpt everything... I think it will take time so I'll have to charge more, and printing a full mesh will be cheaper than paying for the extra work ^^.

But at least I can keep that in mind for the next model.
    The way I've done hollowing for prints in the past is to simply duplicate the entire mesh then use the inflate tool in zbrush with a negative value. The result will be messy, but you can just throw a dynamesh on it and smooth it out - it's not like it needs to look pretty.

Speaking of inflation, I think those thighs and hips could still use a bit more girth on them.
  • makecg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • ysalex
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ysalex interpolator
    I didn't read the whole thread, so maybe this has been mentioned, but dynamesh is the most convenient way to do this - for me anyways, perhaps I'm being lazy. Delete all lower subdivs and use an IMM brush to subtract out a hole in the base of the mesh, where you want the hollowness to begin. Make sure that in the dynamesh tab you give it a shell and a thickness, and then dynamesh. It subtracts out the subtool and makes the whole inside of the object hollow to the specified thickness.

Again, sorry if I'm repeating someone.
  • Texelion
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CROM ! That's awesome, just tried it, thanks Ysalex. I'm always impressed with the power of Zbrush...

Jackablade, I don't understand your technique. What are you doing with the inflated mesh ?

Anyway, here is a preview with the pose. I enhanced the thighs a bit. And the client requested bigger boobs. He's pretty happy with it and I don't even think that he cares about the rest of the character ^^.

I'll have to tweak the shape of the dress a bit, but it will be covered by the 9 big tails so it doesn't really matter...

Thanks for all the help guys.

Vulnoa_04.jpg
  • Dimfist
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dimfist polycounter lvl 8
    I've done several of these for clients through shapeways and it's really hard to keep that mill poly limit sometimes. A few i've had to sand down a bit because the surface was pretty rough. Also, be careful with cloth being too thin as it will snap. I had a headband snap but was able to repair with some epoxy.
    Unfortunately even if you hollow it you may have to keep tweaking how tall the statuette is because...well shapeways is really expensive for larger things.
  • Texelion
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It will be a 18cm miniature, do you think that the dress is too thin ? I will try to make the tails stick to the dress to avoid it breaks.

I don't think that my client cares about the price though, he already printed big figurines like that.

Also, he showed me a sculpt which was not smooth at all and under 1 million polygons, and said that the print is smooth even if the highpoly is faceted... I don't know if it's true and how they do that, but well, he seems to know better than me about shapeways, so I trust him ^^. I don't even know how they could print the whole character with the hair and tails in one go...
  • lotet
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    lotet hero character
    hey, just wanted to drop by and say that its comming along really great! with the clothes and the pose its really starting too look like the illustration.
  • Steve Schulze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jackablade, I don't understand your technique. What are you doing with the inflated mesh ?
    [/IMG]
    If you push the inflate tool into the negative, it'll deflate the mesh. I think Ysalex's suggestions is probably a better one as it should give a cleaner result which might save you a few minutes cleanup.

With regards to the dress, I'd thicken it a little bit, but you could also give it some more structural strength by working some folds into it and bending it around so that it contacts the legs and/or boots.
  • Texelion
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Aaaaand here we go ! Still need to change the face, and add a base, and polypaint some details... I guess it will suck once decimated though... stupid 1 Million polygons limit...

Vulnoa_05.jpg

PS : yeah she's blond now, in fact the ref the client gave me is a fanart made by someone else, his real character is blond...
  • spiderDude
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nice, looking great!
    I agree about thickening the dress a bit, considering the material and size it would be a safe bet.
  • JordanN
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JordanN interpolator
    For a second, I thought that was an octopus (looking at the back pose).
  • Texelion
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ha, maybe she has an octopus up her arse... ^^ or they are tails.

Here are some almost final shots... due to the 1 million polygons limit, I will decimate the model, make some quick UVs and then project the polypaint into a texture, so Shapeways can print it in color... It's really tedious finally, having to do UVs and baking even for a sculpt. At least the client is really happy and accepted to pay a little extra. Also, I will bake the blue light of the flame in Max with a light and render to texture, it will look better than handpainting the light.

The base will be printed separately.

Vulnoa_06.jpg

Vulnoa_07.jpg

It's not perfect ( especially the face ) but well, the client is happy and he already ordered 2 other characters, so, expect to see MORE BOOBS in the future ! Yay !

PS : here are the next girls :

Bath%20Time.jpg
  • Stinkfoot
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Stinkfoot polycounter lvl 11
    Haha, well done! defying gravity on multiple.. levels. ;)
  • Steve Schulze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I guess everyone has their own particular tastes. Sounds like you'll be making a bit of sweet sweet colossal boob money out of this deal at least.

Will be interested to see how the print comes out. The powder based colour prints tend to lose quite a bit of vibrancy, so you might be worth considering boosting your chroma a bit before you send her out.