Home Unity Store

What is the Unity Store, and how do I access it?

polycounter lvl 9
Offline / Send Message
MeshMagnet polycounter lvl 9
Sorry, I've never heard of the Unity Store, could someone explain to me what exactly it is? What can I sell, buy, trade, etc?

Replies

• stabbington
    Offline / Send Message
    stabbington polycounter lvl 10
    You can find the asset store here - https://www.assetstore.unity3d.com/

Unity's Asset Store is a marketplace to browse free and commercial models, animations, textures, materials, shaders (and also, scripts, plugins, effects, levels, and anything else you can think of) for use in the Unity3d engine. You'll need a Unity account and copy of the program (which you can get for free here - http://unity3d.com/unity/download) to unpack any assets you download and you can see in the asset store what the package contents contain, so you can often find fbx meshes and animation clips, texture files and so on, that work perfectly fine in other pipelines and projects too.

Sellers of commercial assets receive a 70% cut of every sale, which is paid out monthly or quarterly depending on your payment plan, and there's a large and ever growing amount of people making a living just out of adding extensions or selling art assets for other Unity devs to use in their games!
  • MeshMagnet
    Offline / Send Message
    MeshMagnet polycounter lvl 9
    Wow, thanks for the info. No idea this even existed.

Why don't all the major engines have one of these kinda stores?
  • Richard Kain
    Offline / Send Message
    Richard Kain polycounter lvl 18
    MeshMagnet wrote: »
    Wow, thanks for the info. No idea this even existed.

Why don't all the major engines have one of these kinda stores?

That is an excellent question. I think many of them are going to try to emulate the Unity Asset Store to a certain extent in their next major iterations. It is indeed a very good idea, and has been useful to both Unity and the Unity development community. Not only can it serve as a useful storefront, but it is also a great way to distribute projects and drum up attention.

I'm planning on releasing some of my personal efforts on the Asset Store soon. (when I get them in a more presentable and user-friendly form) Inexpensive or free scripts can be a huge boon to small Unity developers.
  • EvanTideswell
    Offline / Send Message
    EvanTideswell polycounter lvl 3
    Im very interested in starting to try sell assets on the store, has anyone done it here? how do you find it and all that? is it worth doing?
  • Shadownami92
    Offline / Send Message
    Shadownami92 polycounter lvl 7
    I imagine it's worth doing for a quick way to share stuff or if you want to sell something that is actually very useful.

When it comes to art assets I think they tend to not do as well as useful scripts and whatnot, but if you model characters that are easily customizable with shaders, rigs and lots of animations then it might work.

Probably the most flexible models you could do are props, vehicles, zombies and fantasy characters and assets.
  • Macrow
    Offline / Send Message
    Macrow polycounter lvl 8
    Just to add to the thread here, Unreal Engine 4 has an asset store called Marketplace. It's not yet open to content creators' submissions, but being open to content creators is high among their priorities.
  • Synthesizer
    Offline / Send Message
    Synthesizer polycounter lvl 11
    Maybe the link in the forum description should be changed to https://www.assetstore.unity3d.com/. Right now the link points to the page where you buy Unity itself, which is a bit confusing.

I've got a package on the Asset store. I haven't made a lot of sales, but a few come in every month. So far everything's worked fine, no problems receiving payment.

A walkthrough for publishing assets can be found here: http://unity3d.com/asset-store/sell-assets. For me the validation process has taken a couple of days, sometimes up to about a week.