Home Adobe Substance

Substance designer : Having problems viewing changes in real time

polycounter lvl 6
Offline / Send Message
rorozilla polycounter lvl 6
Hey guys, just got my hands on Substance Designer two days ago and am facing some technical difficulties. Assume I know NOTHING!

I've been playing with the nodes and viewing my changes on my own model in the 3D view. The problem is, my changes wont always be true to what is actually in my graph 100 percent of the time.

Let me put you in context.
Yesterday I created a new project, baked normals from high poly to low poly, linked them up in the graph and made sure it was linked to my model in the 3D view and... no result. I check to make sure the map baked properly, I tested other outputs by linking up colored nodes to the diffuse output and see if the colours changed in real time. Everything worked except the normals still would not show up in my 3D view when they are clearly linked. I got tired of ripping my hairs out so I saved and went off to bed. Next morning, load the scene,TADA! normals are there, looking awesome!

So I figure my 3D view isn't updating in real time, at least not all at once. Is there a button or something I'm supposed to press in order to force it to compute my whole graph? Its giving me funky results and making me think my textures are bad when they are clearly fine once I reload my scene.

Replies

• Jerc
    Offline / Send Message
    Jerc interpolator
    A right click in the graph and "View outputs in 3d view should work if your textures are plugged to the output nodes.
    Also make sure the 3d view is using the right shader through the Materials menu, it's most of the time the reason why a specific texture won't show up.
  • rorozilla
    Offline / Send Message
    rorozilla polycounter lvl 6
    ha thank you so much Jerc! Does double clicking the graph icon in the explorer also have the same result?

Also, since I have you here, I notice whenever I reload my project. I have to reload my mesh in my view port and readjust the settings so it uses OpenGL instead of DirectX in my materials shader. Is that normal and is there a way to keep those settings in memory for the next time I load that specific project?

Thanks again for the lightning fast response!
  • Jerc
    Offline / Send Message
    Jerc interpolator
    If your mesh is in your package, all the viewport settings should be saved with it. It might be a bug.
  • patricio_rosh
    Hello Jerc, I have a problem with 3d view. I have a 4 outputs: base color, normal, roughness and metallic. I add a new output and set it to height output, but my problem is, the 3d view doesn't seem to read my height output. I have already set the settings of the output similar to other output but, it still doesn't work. I hope you can help me with this. Thank you.
  • Jerc
    Offline / Send Message
    Jerc interpolator
    2 things: Make sure your height output has its usage set to Height, and also check the material settings on your object, as the displacement/parallax may be set to 0 there.
  • patricio_rosh
    Thanks you for your help. It's my first time to use this. it's a very wonderful software, though I was just using a trial version.