Home Technical Talk

General rule of thumb when pricing 3D art Work

polycounter lvl 6
Offline / Send Message
rorozilla polycounter lvl 6
Hey guys, this might be the wrong section, but I have a couple questions concerning what is standard pay for freelance work.

I've been doing it for the last couple of months now, and I generally get the scope of the project and estimate the total price then. But I've recently been asked to give out a break down sheet of the different stages of the art pipe line.

What would you expect to be payed (as an artist) or pay (as a buyer) for these specific tasks for a low poly (2000K tri) humanoid with simple extra features (jaw, tail, ears, etc) and hand-painted style textures?

Here is what I guesstimate but dose it sound reasonable? Am I undervaluing certain tasks?

Modelling - 300$
Rigging: 300$
Skinning: 100$
UV: 100$
Animations: -+100$ (per animation)
Texturing: 300$

Thanks a bunch!

Replies

• SuperFranky
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SuperFranky polycounter lvl 10
    You might want to check out Polycount's wiki for this. http://wiki.polycount.com/wiki/Freelance
  • rorozilla
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rorozilla polycounter lvl 6
    Thank you so much Superfranky! I always forget about the wiki! I think I'm gonna get it tattooed on my arm for next time!

What do you think of the estimates i put down? dose it sound too weak?

Thanks again for putting me on the right track, im finding some really good info!

(btw i LOVE your sexy big boss!! soo cool!)
  • SuperFranky
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SuperFranky polycounter lvl 10
    rorozilla wrote: »
    Thank you so much Superfranky! I always forget about the wiki! I think I'm gonna get it tattooed on my arm for next time!

What do you think of the estimates i put down? dose it sound too weak?

Thanks again for putting me on the right track, im finding some really good info!

(btw i LOVE your sexy big boss!! soo cool!)

Unfortunately, I can't help you with prices because I don't have any experience in that.

Thanks for checking out my art :) Good luck figuring out your prices.
  • Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It really depends.

How long does it take you to complete each task? Keeping track of your time on current jobs will help you gauge this.

What is your hourly rate? Check the wiki for how to calculate this.